No announcement yet.

1995 e34 540i/6 *m60b44* - Return to Some Kind of Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the main effect of the 'puller fan' is to push all that hot air out of the engine bay , I was getting terrible levels of heat soak on the engine bay components

I achieved a 27 deg C drop (80 deg F) in engine bay component surface temps

Comment

Originally posted by 90-E34-M5 View Post
      I think the main effect of the 'puller fan' is to push all that hot air out of the engine bay , I was getting terrible levels of heat soak on the engine bay components

I achieved a 27 deg C drop (80 deg F) in engine bay component surface temps

I believe it. Really, the main effect of a puller fan is to draw air through the radiator. The clearing out off of the engine bay is secondary and certainly helps.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

The good news is it worked

The 540/5 went from being a hot overheating pig in traffic to running reliably

For your 540 I'd recommend the following first steps

Use the 318 80/88 fan switch in the radiator , it will bring the front electric fan on earlier

E36 318 Double temperature switch 80/88 deg C PN 61-31-8-361-787

Consider some louvres or cooling holes on the hood

Clean the oil cooler

Comment

A thought ... have you changed your electric auxiliary fan ?

A common fault with these is they don't switch to high speed or are weak on the high speed setting , instant overheat

Comment

Originally posted by 90-E34-M5 View Post
            A thought ... have you changed your electric auxiliary fan ?

A common fault with these is they don't switch to high speed or are weak on the high speed setting , instant overheat
            I appreciate your help. Let me list out the things I have done to the car as far as cooling stuff.
            • Brand new water pump
            • 3rd thermostat
            • Valley Pan gasket redone
            • New o-rings for cross over pipes
            • Cleaned and blew out whole engine with low pressure, high volume leaf blower
            • New expansion tank
            • New Mishimoto radiator
            • Rear coolant manifold has been cleaned and cleared (nothing came out)
            • Two new coolant temp sensors (DME and cluster)
            • Volvo auxiliary fan in place of clutch fan
            • 80/88c temp switch in original location hooked up to Volvo switch (turns on as advertised)
            • New expansion tank cap
            • New hoses
            • Cleaned and function checked heater core valves
            • New auxiliary water pump (checked flow is going correct direction)
            • I have full heat in the interior
            • Auxiliary fan is currently disabled and really shouldn't be necessary for 68 degree San Diego weather
            • Car overheated with NO thermostat installed once

I have absolutely done every single thing you can possibly do to a cooling system short of pulling heads and checking for clogs in there or in the block.

A fellow at bimmerforums thinks I might have a bad brand new radiator from Mishimoto. So I have swapped it. I have yet to fill it up and test drive it, but I will report back.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Weird

I'd still put the auxiliary fan back into service

I've found a pusher fan failure (front fan) has a bigger effect on water temperature than a puller fan failure
              Last edited by 90-E34-M5; 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Just went out for a test drive with the original, yet functioning radiator in the car. Exact same problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I am convinced that I have a blockage somewhere in the motor. With the car at operating temperature, coolant starts backing up through the expansion tank.

I have a line on a 2000 540i with bad timing chain guides. Exterior is rough save for some great looking wheels. Interior looks to be in great shape and I could snag the steering wheel (M-sport) for my car. I could sell the transmission and part out as much as I can. Then get my m60 pulled out and start on this m60b44. Its been on craigslist for about a month and he is asking $600 for it. I am going to try and work out a deal in the next day or two.

My car wouldn't start until it sat for 10 minutes and cooled off. I think the motor is cooked by now. Oh well, shit happens.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

yes , that doesn't sound good

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                      I am convinced that I have a blockage somewhere in the motor. With the car at operating temperature, coolant starts backing up through the expansion tank.

I have a line on a 2000 540i with bad timing chain guides. Exterior is rough save for some great looking wheels. Interior looks to be in great shape and I could snag the steering wheel (M-sport) for my car. I could sell the transmission and part out as much as I can. Then get my m60 pulled out and start on this m60b44. Its been on craigslist for about a month and he is asking $600 for it. I am going to try and work out a deal in the next day or two.

My car wouldn't start until it sat for 10 minutes and cooled off. I think the motor is cooked by now. Oh well, shit happens.
                      Do it. M60B44 would be awesome!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                        Do it. M60B44 would be awesome!
                        Ha thanks for the encouragement.

I have a line on just a motor for $300 up in Northridge. I have to ask myself if it's worth my time and inconvenience to part out the e39 or just grab a motor on its own. Its good use of money to buy a whole car, but not good use of my time and body. Both motors have 160K on them and the heads are still good...

Decisions, decisions.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Man, it would be hard for me to say no to the $300 motor. I'm lazy and the thought of parting a whole entire car before I could get back to the car I actually want to be working on would be enough to sell me on the motor only lol.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                            Man, it would be hard for me to say no to the $300 motor. I'm lazy and the thought of parting a whole entire car before I could get back to the car I actually want to be working on would be enough to sell me on the motor only lol.
                            That's where I am at too. The only advantage is that the automatic in the car for sale is supposed to be perfect ($$$). It has great looking Style 66s and a perfectly clean M-Sport Steering Wheel that I could use on my e34.

I would have to rent a hoist to get the motor out and I would have to rent a flat bed (if someone would let me tow with my 4Runner) and snag the car down in Chula Vista. Then I gotta park it in a crowded drive way anyway.

Ugg.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Crap, now the guy selling the motor is not wanting to split the engine from the automatic and wants a full $600 for it. If I am going to drop $600, then I am gonna get the parts car and just be quick with pulling what I want and sending the rest to the junker.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Man, just read through this entire thread. You're a champ with this resto. Keep it up! And every e34 I've owned has had constant cooling problems..... Just seems to be the trend, especially in hotter climates.

Comment

Working...
                                X