No announcement yet.

1995 e34 540i/6 *m60b44* - Return to Some Kind of Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how did you go about applying the RIT dye? I see a lot of people dunking the whole carpet in huge Rubbermaid plastic containers
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
      how did you go about applying the RIT dye? I see a lot of people dunking the whole carpet in huge Rubbermaid plastic containers
      I just put it in a plastic spray bottle, sprayed it on thick, rubbed it in with gloves and let it sit outside for a day or two then did it all again. I had powerwashed the carpet months ago before I put it away so it was clean.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

are you going to wash or steam clean the remaining dye off? Wouldn't want it rubbing off on something.

Comment

are you going to wash or steam clean the remaining dye off? Wouldn't want it rubbing off on something.
          I don't think it's necessary once it drys out. When I installed the carpet, there was a smidge of dampness and color coming off. But after I went back to the car with it having baked in the sun one day, it was nice and dry.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Nice! Thanks for answering my questions about it. I'm probably going to give RIT a shot on the tan carpet for my sedan project.

Comment

Nice! Thanks for answering my questions about it. I'm probably going to give RIT a shot on the tan carpet for my sedan project.
              Yeah, I think any residual crispness can be rubbed out with a towel or rag. I think there applications would be all that is needed. I would use the liquid RIT instead of the powder and use hot tap water in the bottle.

For some reason, the sprayer mechanism didnt like the dye and I had to use two brand new bottles between both applications. Could just be the Zep brand sprayer though.

Good luck!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Alrighty, I have driven Krauthammer to work a couple times since getting about half of the interior done. The headliner is out. I failed miserably at installing new headliner material so I am going to have that professionally done soon. But the rest is all prepped and ready to go back in. I am not in love with the e46 comfort seats, but having all mechanical seats is nice. So my eyes are still peeled for e46 sports or some cheap e36 Vaders.

I have to say though, after driving the B6 A4 Quattro exclusively for the past few months, getting back into my car reminds me how much damned fun it is. I just LOVE this car.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I have not updated a lot!

Oy vey! Its been a while but a decent amount of stuff has been done to the car. And I am definitely going to need more pics.

The dash is in. I have created one set of rails for the e46 seats to bolt up to. But I don't like the manual seats so I am going to try and find a set of e46 Sport seats and if they are electric, so be it.

I got the headliner professionally done and it looks great. But it is not installed yet. I had to do all of the A, B & C pillars. The rear deck lid is in and the back seat installed for the final time, I hope. Here is that pic. My ugly mug is there too.

1012181815 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I spray painted all of the interior bits with flat black. They are going to need more matte though. I might not notice the shine of the visors when installed but...whatevs.
                  1019181250 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I kind of like the little cracks. The plastic is tired.
                  1019181250_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I pulled the dented passenger door off, rewrapped the harness and swapped over everything I needed. Headliner in the background.
                  1019181443_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

New-to-me door. Off a 95 525i. My mirror had to be swapped if I can figure out how to wire the dipped mirror thing with non-stock seats.
                  1019181443a_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Old door.
                  1019181443 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Had to swap door levers too...or swap the cylinder. Just did the whole thing.
                  1019181505 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

The regulator in the donor door has been replaced which was cool. But someone bent the front part of the window glass track so the window would bind up. I bent the track back into shape so the window slides freely. I also installed my sliding glass bathroom door wheels where the regulator track goes as the old ones disintegrated, of course. I will take pics of that.

I am getting there on the interior. Just like everything though, it takes time!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Bro, you're silly with this thing. Well done.
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Nice!

Quick question, how easy is it to remove and re-install headliner on these? My 535i could use a fresh headliner as the PO did a number on it, it's covered with some cheap microsuede and I'd like to replace it with factory one if it's doable w/o removing glass?
                      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I did a redo on my E38. Easy enough to get out... long wheelbase door ade that easier. Mooonroof stays put. There were bolts accessed via exterior through moonroof void/glass back.

Applying new headliner material... sucked. Where it was tight I had glue bleed through, corners were shit, smudged with shit randomly...
                        ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                          I did a redo on my E38. Easy enough to get out... long wheelbase door ade that easier. Mooonroof stays put. There were bolts accessed via exterior through moonroof void/glass back.

Applying new headliner material... sucked. Where it was tight I had glue bleed through, corners were shit, smudged with shit randomly...
                          Yep! That was my experience too. I have one seat not really installed to make it easier to get in and out. I would take a seat out to make it easier.

I will have to redo my sunroof portion for sure, but otherwise I am pleased. I am silly btw. Absolutely silly.

I did a crap load of digging ditches yesterday so I might get to it a bit more tomorrow.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

So the work on the 540i has slowed down a bit. But I keep the battery up and drive it a couple times a month.

I am pretty sure I chronicled how I was a moron and went to the junk yard for a 5 series headliner, walked away with a 735i SWB headliner, paid to have it recovered and then found it doesn't fit. Dumbass.

But I did go to the yard this time and got a true 95 525i headliner to have my upholsterer redo it for me. Its at his place and should be done in a week or two. Then I can start getting the interior put back together completely. It sucks having shit dangling around.

I will be looking for a set of e46 black leather power seats. I just need the adjustment no matter what in spite of my desire to stay mechanical and avoid electric seats.

In the mean time, I took this video while I did one of my weekly warm up sessions of the car.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

I just love the sound of this thing. Even in its current state, it is a hoot to drive around.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Getting small stuff done...

I am getting some small junk done on the car and mixing it up with all the other projects...which are many.

I spent an afternoon realigning the new fender so it matches up with the door better. This was a frustrating experience, but I managed to not screw up the fender though. Mad respect to body men out there.

2019-06-28_11-08-32 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Not pictured is where I put on the passenger side skirt too. That isn't sitting perfectly flush yet, but its better than nothing. I need new clips everywhere on it and to figure out how to install it properly.

I got my headliner back (need pics) and got it mostly installed. My upholsterer took out the metal bracket that holds the sunroof switch panel and the map light assembly. So I went to the junk yard and cut one out of another car. I will get it installed and then I can wrap up the headliner install. It does look quite a bit better. I used the modern VW headliner material and I am happy with it. The painting I did on the hard plastic parts look real snazzy if I am honest.

While at the junkyard, I found a decent set of e46 powered sport seats I have been keeping my eye out for. There are a couple small tears, but I think with some needle work, I can get them fixed up and be serviceable. Oh, added benefit? No airbags on them which a lot of newer seats have. OH again: Just adding power to the seats also enables the memory function on the seats. I was blown away that memory still worked with just power!

IMG_20190714_180909953 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

They are dramatically better than the comfort seats out of the same car.
                              IMG_20190714_180915504 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Install was pretty straightforward: I cut off the seat harness from the junkyard cars and attached the power wire (fat Red/Yellow, Red/Brown) and the fat ground wire (Brown on both vehicles) so now its harnessed like normal. I have no idea what the other wires are for and don't really care at this point unless one of them triggers the mirror dip function...I would like that back at some point.

The seat adapter brackets I covered in a previous post. I need to make the passenger side still, but it will be easier with the newly acquired plasma cutter. I wasn't in a rush to do this as I still needed to get the headliner installed and its easier with the passenger seat out of the vehicle.

Items I need to tackle next:
                              • Passenger seat install
                              • Tint every damned window including the windshield (clear but UV rated if there is such a thing)
                              • Get new Front and Rear bumpers right before paint
                              • Fix HVAC panel (not lighting up)
                              • Fix OBC (new one to car is not working, may swap old one)
                              • Get stereo back up and running
                              • Powder coat rims and get new tires ($$$)
                              • Replace front struts (I have a bad clunk that I am 99% sure that is the source)
                              • Install new lower control arms if the struts are not responsible for the clunk
                              • Change the oil and reseal the oil level sender
                              • Replace the front driver's brake bad sensor
                              • Dye seat belts black (I hope this isn't a terrible idea, further reserach required)
                              • Dye weather stripping black (same as above)

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Bit the bullet today and took the car to ShieldX in Oceanside, CA to get a new windshield and 20% tint all the way around. Because it is illegal to tint the windshield in California, I omitting that. I might DIY that later.

Pics tomorrow.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X