• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pics, as promised.

IMG_20190720_182834293_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20190720_182806246_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20190720_182755596 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

As you recall, I had the rear deck recovered in black about 5 months ago. I installed it and the black turned to light tan within that time. The upholstery guy was blown away by it and offered to recover it. He seems to think there was something wrong with that batch of material...no idea.

I attempted to dye it and it was working fine, but apparently I used too much salt in the dye solution and now I have sweat marks on the freshly dyed rear deck cover. That's now black with white "sweat marks."

I am going to attempt to get rid of the salt "sweat marks." If that fails, then I will have it recovered. This is going to be a problem with my A pillars too as the same batch of material was used and I have no tint on the front windshield. I might look for clear UV blocking film and do it myself. FYI, brand new windshields are RAD.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Small update here. I am trying to get the car back to daily driver service. To do that I really need to get new tires and figure out one wheel vibration/shake thing that is going on. It might be the old style 5 wheels and clapped out tires being unbalanced. But new tires, alignment and then front suspension stuff to get it back to daily status. I need to find out of the rear of this car has camber adjustments. The rumor is that some of the 540/i6s did and some did not. Getting it in the air will prove that quickly.

In the mean time, I wanted to install the Gentex 117 that UnrulyGrace gave me about a year ago. That was a bit of trouble as it turns out.
      IMG_20190910_163841135_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Effectively, the EWS II alarm system has all of its radio transmission contained in the mirror. Some people say you can pull pin 6 on the e38 mirror and you are in business. Well, that wasn't the case for me. The alarm lost it's shit when I did that. So time for plan be.

I knew that the Gentex mirrors just require switched 12v power and ground to the board to work. So I did that. I just wired 12v power from the harness at the sunroof and ground. Well, I tried anyway. My buddy has my multimeter so I can't test exactly. I couldn't find my test light until I decided to wrap it up. Sigh. But it will be easy to figure out with the test light.

Here is the Gentex 117 e38 Auto-Dimming mirror circuit board. It has a bunch of fancy functions that I don't care about.
      IMG_20190914_151811277 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

The plugs for the same. Brown is ground and red is 12v.
      IMG_20190914_143141735 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Plug for the stock e34 EWS II mirror. You have to de-pin the harness if you want to swap guts from one mirror to the other. There was no room in the newer mirror so I gave up on that idea.
      IMG_20190914_134718597 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I didn't want to fart around with swapping pins, testing if it works, etc. So I just took the whole board out of the mirror and wrapped it in harness tape and stuffed it with the original car harness plug up in the headliner. Bonus is that I get better remote key response than when it was in the mirror!

In other news, I have blacked out the interior with...Sharpie! Believe it or not, it goes on over the existing seat belts and door gaskets without any problems. Draw it on and let it dry. Hit it with a paper towel to get the excess off and you are golden. Remember, this is not a show car.
      IMG_20190816_172021659 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

For the rear deck, I gave up and spray painted flat black over it. It looks better than it did and I don't have to get it recovered. I need some new seat belt covers though. I guess they are cheap in black.
      IMG_20190809_171230619 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Another shot.
      IMG_20190809_171227331 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Since my paint is a damned mess and a black car lives outside, I have given up on the idea of doing a nice paint job on the car. So I am going to Mad Max the exterior of the car with various grades of Scotchbrite scuffing pads, mix up a rust preventive coating and slather that on the exterior of the car. It should take it from oxidized/dirty grey to a nice flat black finish of what is left of the paint. The mix of goop that I am shooting for coating the exterior with is mineral spirits, paraffin wax and SAE 30 motor oil. The idea is that the mineral spirits turn the wax and oil into a sprayable solution that you can wipe onto the car. Once done, you come back with a cloth and buff it out a bit. It lays down the wax as a sealer and the oil will seep into any cracks in the finish. The good news is that if this is a giant failure, then mineral spirits will be able to take it all off.

I have been working on getting the passenger seat installed. I forgot to take a picture of the seat brackets. But I might have done so earlier in the thread. I have my template that I will snag a pic of. The seats just require 12v and ground to work properly. Pretty cool.

That's the update so far.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

IMHO, I think you could really make that paint look nice- I wouldn't mad max it. I'd spend the time/effort, grab an affordable/efficient Bauer DA, some nice foam pads/compound and go to town. The results, I think, will surprise you.

The paint care world has come a long way. If you seal it after working the paint it'll last, too.

Clay it first if the paint feels rough to the touch, use some cheapie detailing spray for clay lube.

This thing is awesome for the money

But the stock backing plate sucks so buy one of these

I have had great luck with Americana Global Pads, orange for cutting, red for polish

Meguiars 105 to cut, 205 to polish is an age old combo if you want to do a two step polish, Meguiars Ultimate Compound is a fine off the shelf solution for a single step cut/polish.

Anyway, car is rad man, carry on!
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Your car, but to "Mad Max" the outside simply because is always a weird idea to me. You can totally polish this paint more than I think you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            IMHO, I think you could really make that paint look nice- I wouldn't mad max it. I'd spend the time/effort, grab an affordable/efficient Bauer DA, some nice foam pads/compound and go to town. The results, I think, will surprise you.

The paint care world has come a long way. If you seal it after working the paint it'll last, too.

Clay it first if the paint feels rough to the touch, use some cheapie detailing spray for clay lube.

This thing is awesome for the money

But the stock backing plate sucks so buy one of these

I have had great luck with Americana Global Pads, orange for cutting, red for polish

Meguiars 105 to cut, 205 to polish is an age old combo if you want to do a two step polish, Meguiars Ultimate Compound is a fine off the shelf solution for a single step cut/polish.

Anyway, car is rad man, carry on!
            Oh definitely. I REALLY appreciate the tutorial on how to bring back the finish. The problem is that the paint is SUPER thin and bare metal is already showing through in spots on the roof and on the hood. The whole car has been repainted before and they didn't do the greatest job. I have various dents and stuff that are just going to look worse to me.

2019-09-24_10-22-01 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I am telling you with all honesty, the paint is fucked on this car. You can see the bumper is trashed, the bare metal spot I am referring to is right above the front left low beam and above the drivers rear door. I have also already started the scuff job as you can see.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
              Your car, but to "Mad Max" the outside simply because is always a weird idea to me. You can totally polish this paint more than I think you believe.
              I hear you. Its just not going to happen unfortunately.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Here is the Sharpie job on the front seat belts. You can see what it does. In a black car, inside, it doesn't look so purplish. Same goes for the RIT Dyed carpet.

IMG_20190816_164030564 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

And here is the wiring for the passenger seat. I was smart and cut the harness from the e46 seat to give me some room for the seat to slide back and forth. If you look closely, you can see where I screwed up and FORGOT I had the harness and cut the power and ground wire before the plug. See the blue wire crimp connectors. Doh!
                IMG_20190923_212053646 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Here is the seat harness spliced in to the car's harness. Those yellow snap connectors came from Home Depot and if you are careful, you can make sure that the male plug is on the 12v and the female is on the ground and vice versa on the seat so you can't accidentally wire it backwards.
                IMG_20190923_212047708 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

And the whole get up plugged in with plenty of room for the wiring to move.
                IMG_20190923_212135972 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I am fighting getting my power mirrors to work. All the fuses are fine. My back up lights work fine (on the same circuit). IDK. I had the windows tinted and wonder if when they took the door cards off that they didn't reconnect the harness properly or something. I know that the adjustment switch IS connected as I popped it out and checked. I hate taking door cards off because well, old parts. *Sigh*

Also, my buddy was reading this thread and told me about what potentially could be a sweet place to get the car painted. Sooooo....all you anti-MadMax folks, I will entertain getting a 2 stage paint job done. :)

Next plan is to get my wheels powder coated and new tires installed.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                    I am fighting getting my power mirrors to work. All the fuses are fine. My back up lights work fine (on the same circuit). IDK. I had the windows tinted and wonder if when they took the door cards off that they didn't reconnect the harness properly or something. I know that the adjustment switch IS connected as I popped it out and checked. I hate taking door cards off because well, old parts. *Sigh*

Also, my buddy was reading this thread and told me about what potentially could be a sweet place to get the car painted. Sooooo....all you anti-MadMax folks, I will entertain getting a 2 stage paint job done. :)

Next plan is to get my wheels powder coated and new tires installed.
                    My power mirrors didnt work when I first bought my car. My pin was slightly pulled out in the door harness on the driver's side. They can corrode over time. Once I fixed that the mirrors came back on, they were not getting power to the switch.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

My power mirrors didnt work when I first bought my car. My pin was slightly pulled out in the door harness on the driver's side. They can corrode over time. Once I fixed that the mirrors came back on, they were not getting power to the switch.
                      Ah ha! I will have to check that out if my new theory is wrong...

I was thinking about it this morning on the drive in to work and I think I know what my problem might be. I had manual e46 comfort seats in the car but I had left the power connector plugged up to the seat computer that is under the factory seats (I removed it years ago). I had to rob power from that same connector to power my new powered e46 sport seats and I think that is the reason why the mirrors stopped functioning. I will splice the power back into that seat computer and report back.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

So I was right! My mirrors are back and working fine. The seat computer/module needs 12v power and the black harness plug to allow the mirrors to work. No idea why it is required, but it clearly is. I also have a hunch that this is the area I need to figure out how to get my reverse mirror dip function back. I didn't take any pictures. But for sure the black seat computer box is required for mirrors to work, in case anyone googles this.

Also, for those wanting to find a good key-on 12v power source in the sunroof motor area for any accessory you plan to install, the purple with white stripe wire is golden. Any brown up there is ground too.
                        IMG_20190924_183935590 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I also installed new LCAs (I think that's what they are) because I was getting some serious bounce and shake when driving down the road, pretty much at any time. These are Mevotech Premiums. Shiny as F. So there is some more chrome for you. No tricks to changing these. The ones I took out were URO Parts. They lasted about 30K which is what I expected. Examining all the other ball joints under there, which are URO Parts too, I am due for all of those to be swapped out. All of the boots are torn to shit. Which is expected. The whole 10 piece set was just under $300. Anyway...

IMG_20190926_173628208_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20190926_174750499 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20190926_183752371 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Gotta figure out why my OBC is not lighting up. I know it works though because you can see the display when you shine a light on it. Off to the internet I go!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Went out for the evening with the wife and in less than 2 miles, my shit ass worn out tires finally gave up the ghost. LOL
                          IMG_20190929_182030728 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I had this wheel blow up on me. After 15 minutes, I had the style 32 spare on which had a brand new tire on it. The air was a little low, but I wasn't far from home so I just ran it. Well, that brand new tire on the spare shredded in about 2,000 feet. LOL Since I wanted to keep the style 32 rim in good condition and didn't care about these style 5s, I put the original one back on and just slow rolled it back on home. The wife was cool about it all fortunately.

But that prompted me to take the ratted out style 32s to Discount Tire to order up new tires and pop off the old tires before I sent them to powder coat. So I did that last Friday. Discount ordered up the tires and dismounted the old rubber and I rolled on over to Olympic Powder Coating in Escondido and we worked out a satin black powder coat finish that apparently has some additional UV blocking stuff in it.

On Monday, Discount Tire called and let me know the tires were in.

On Wednesday, they called me to let me know the wheels were done. $337 for four of them.
                          2019-10-04_09-58-15 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

On Thursday morning I rolled over to Discount Tire and they installed the tires for me.
                          IMG_20191003_090649492 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

$464 later I have new rubber. I bought Nankang NS-25s because I plan on putting tons of miles on this car shortly and I don't want to pay a ton for Pilot Sports or anything like that. Due to the toe issue these lowered (factory) e34s have, they eat up the insides of the rear tires. If I get 25K miles out of them, I will be happy.
                          IMG_20191003_091813189 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I ordered up new upper control arms, tire rod end ball joints and sway bar end links too. They should arrive on Tuesday and I might even get cracking on the install that evening. Then its install the wheels/tires and get an alignment done.

I might explore a weld-on rear camber & toe correction kit later. I have the welder so why the heck not?

EDIT: Garagistic has universal kits including the hardware cost $172. Not bad at all. So I will likely do that while doing bushings at the same time. I may just get another subframe from the junkyard since that crap is way easier to do out of the car. I did that with my 99 Cobra I had years and years ago.
                          Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-04-2019, 10:37 AM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Alrighty. Got a bunch done this weekend. Actually on all of our cars. Did a tire rotation and oil change on the wife's 2015 Golf and got my rear tires installed.

Here is the rear tire vs the old one.
                            IMG_20191005_110844661_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Definitely no rear adjustment essentrics. Looks that was only an M5 and M-Sport 540i item.
                            IMG_20191005_110925562 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Rear meats on and the remnant of my tire shredding.
                            IMG_20191005_113033753_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Did an oil change on my 2009 Jetta Sportwagen after church and then started to tackle a bunch of front suspension stuff; did upper control arms, inner and outer tie-rod end ball joints, and sway bar end links. Then I got the front wheels on.

This is a sample of the type of wear on all of the parts I replaced vs new. They were due.
                            IMG_20191006_141032038_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

I will take a pic in the morning as it was dusk when I was finishing up. I took it for a spin and man it feels different. I really need to get an alignment soon before I drive it much.

I was surprised how my brake discs felt. It is hard to describe but they feel glazed over and they were pretty shiny. I have noticed that the once stellar brake performance is not so stellar. I am going to cruise through this thread and see when I replaced them last. The rotors have tons of meat on them and so do the pads, but...I haven't driven the car so much.

EDIT: So I did full brakes including lines at the end of February 2018. No reason they should be bad in less than 2 years. I will do a brake flush next week and see how that goes. I may turn the rotors too..Bahh.
                            Last edited by marshallnoise; 10-06-2019, 09:40 PM.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Alright. Some night shots.
                              IMG_20191006_185458949 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Typical So-Cal evening sky. I am blessed to live here, even though I want out too.
                              IMG_20191006_185446692 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Terrible exposure.
                              IMG_20191007_090159795 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Horribly aligned too. Nice job dipshit. LOL
                              IMG_20191007_090134872_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Pic from this morning.
                              IMG_20191007_183454194 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Anyone ever had a problem with these gaskets? I had the window replaced and they installed a new gasket. When it heats up during the day, this starts to pull away. Is there supposed to be some adhesive on there?
                              IMG_20191008_081453567_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20191008_081500714_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I figured out the brake problem...Turns out I was losing fluid from the master cylinder grommet. So I am ordering a new set of those. I wound up figuring that out after swapping out the brake fluid anyway.

And I put this bad ass (to me) shift knob.
                                2019-10-13_03-22-13 by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

Alignment tomorrow morning and I am driving it to work from there.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                                X