No announcement yet.

Project Armo "330i" M-tech 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work on the exhaust continues. The exhaust piping has pretty much found it's shape. Of course some details such as brackets and sensor bungs are still missing.

I will after all make a little space in the firewall to get a flex piece in the rearmost headers. My hands are a bit tied with the locations because I want to place the O2 sensors in the headers rather than the exhaust pipe to keep the exhaust easily detachable. I also wanted to place the V-bands in the downpipe area where they are less likely to snag anything. I haven't quite got the hang of welding upside down with the flux cored wire. It's more or less spattery and runny. When welding in normal position I'm happy with the results.

When I had the front end of the exhaust in shape it was time to move on to the catback section. I had to make a small lobster cut in front of the pipe connections to point them down and avoid hitting the gas tank and its heat shield. Likewise I had to make a similar cut in front of the rear muffler to have it horizontal. It took less modifying than I thought according to my first mock up. I had cut off the exhaust tips to have the rear muffler in correct position.

The pipes could be a little closer to rear subframe. If it seems to be a problem, Ill make further modifications. The exhaust tips need to be extended and tilted sideways to line them up with the rear apron.

I'm not the biggest fan of the slanted exaust tips but I decided I didn't want to modify the plastic apron. When the exhaust tips were tacked in place I started eyeing the supports for the rear muffler. The original brackets in the rear muffler didn't work so I cut them off. E36 exhaust mounts will work when placed according to the cutouts in the exhaust heat shield. Although I had to make a bit more space on the right side.

That's where I got so far. Next time I need to bring some stainless flat steel to make the brackets in the muffler.
    Last edited by Skarpa; 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM.
    E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Today I updated the gear diagram to six speed version. I was pleasantly surprised when I found an oval 6-speed emblem with the older style M-stripes. I think It's been used in E34 and E31.

Last edited by Skarpa; 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM.
      E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

I decided to leave making the brackets for the muffler until I have the exhaust fully welded in case I need to react to distortions. Instead, I took on the shifter linkage. With the GS6-37BZ transmission and E9X shifter support the shifter would be positioned about 30 mm too far back and 10 to 15 mm to one side in E30 body. I cut up the shifter support to correct the position.

I don't have equipment for welding aluminium so I had to come up with a way to mock up stuff and keep them in position when I take them for a welder. I drilled a couple of small holes and screwed the parts to a piece of sheet metal. I'll tell the welder to make triangle supports to the joint to make it stronger and neater.

The actuation rod needed respective changes.

I didn't just weld the tubes side by side. First I cut off a bit from one of them to reduce the offset but I should have cut a bit more. As you can see the shifter didn't end up perfectly centered. I got it corrected with a bit of bending for the rod, though.
        Last edited by Skarpa; 07-28-2017, 07:16 AM.
        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
          Today I updated the gear diagram to six speed version. I was pleasantly surprised when I found an oval 6-speed emblem with the older style M-stripes. I think It's been used in E34 and E31.

Where did you get that? I need one for my S54.
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Garagistic is your one-stop source to performance BMW parts. From Grip, street, show or drift, we got the parts your BMW needs. We carry BMW parts for your E30, E36, E46, E82, E92 and much more!

You should replace the carrier shifter bushing. I used a 98 Ford Explorer front end link bushing, but use whatever. Even brand new, oem sucks. It's such a massive improvement over stock.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
              Where did you get that? I need one for my S54.
              BMW no longer sells badges separately, just full knobs. I got mine here. It says genuine but it didn't come in bmw packaking so I'm not sure about that. The quality seems OEM, though.

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              https://store.garagistic.com/bmw-per...hifter-bushing

You should replace the carrier shifter bushing. I used a 98 Ford Explorer front end link bushing, but use whatever. Even brand new, oem sucks. It's such a massive improvement over stock.
              Thanks for the tip. It feels pretty squishy indeed. I'm tempted to try out a polyurethane bushing from roller skates if I luck out with the dimensions.
              Last edited by Skarpa; 07-18-2017, 09:59 AM.
              E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

It turned out just fine :up:

Last edited by Skarpa; 07-28-2017, 07:12 AM.
                E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

BMW no longer sells badges separately, just full knobs. I got mine here. It says genuine but it didn't come in bmw packaking so I'm not sure about that. The quality seems OEM, though.

Thanks for the tip. It feels pretty squishy indeed. I'm tempted to try out a polyurethane bushing from roller skates if I luck out with the dimensions.
                  Is it round or oval? Looks round in the link, but oval on your knob.
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                    Is it round or oval? Looks round in the link, but oval on your knob.
                    That's oval.

"Additional Info: Oval shape emblem, width - 30mm / height - 33mm"

I'm not sure if they ever made a bmw with round shifter and six gears.
                    E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

What adhesive have you been using when you bond and rivit the panels on?
                      We're out there in here.

Comment

Originally posted by budnunta View Post
                        what adhesive have you been using when you bond and rivit the panels on?
                        3M 08115. You also need the spreading gun 08571
                        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Now I've moved all of my project pics to kuvat.fi. While doing that I reorganized the pics into categories so it's easier for me and maybe also other people to find what they are looking for. It was a tad impractical to have all the 1500+ pics in a single folder. While doing that I managed to break the last functioning hotlinks in this topic so I still need to repair those when I feel energetic.

Last edited by Skarpa; 08-05-2017, 02:51 AM.
                          E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Clearance made for the header flex joint.

The patch is curved to give the most space even though it doesn't really show in any of the pics.
                            Last edited by Skarpa; 07-28-2017, 08:16 AM.
                            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

I welded the rest of the fixings for the fuel lines and the heat shield to the bottom of the car and assembled the E36 power steering rack with new Lemförder tie rods

Last edited by Skarpa; 08-04-2017, 11:27 AM.
                              E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Now I've moved all of my project pics to kuvat.fi. While doing that I reorganized the pics into categories so it's easier for me and maybe also other people to find what they are looking for. It was a tad impractical to have all the 1500+ pics in a single folder. While doing that I managed to break the last functioning hotlinks in this topic so I still need to repair those when I feel energetic.

Edit: oo, kuvat.fi or the forum software seems to find the linked pics even when they are moved to a different folder. Awesome!
                                Thanks for going through that effort, would've been a shame to lose all that well-documented fab work...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X