Project Armo "330i"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
    Great update. Chassis is really coming along and I bet you can't wait to get it into paint....and nice touch with the valve cover.

MJ
    Thanks! I'm indeed anxious to get the body painted. I like sheetmetal work and I Iike assembly stuff but the various painting and prepping jobs are not my favorite. Although I quite like applying seam sealer. It's somehow relaxing and satisfying.

EDIT: Actually, why hide it - I really, really like applying seam sealer
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0652.JPG?img=medium.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	9862507
    If you know what I mean

All in all I'm happy with how the engine turned out. I'm satisfied with the modifications I made both functionally and aesthetically. Time will tell how it actually works. I'm excited and slightly nervous to see that since this is the first engine I've built.
    Last edited by Skarpa; 08-18-2019, 04:33 AM.
    E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Originally posted by Skarpa View Post
      All in all I'm happy with how the engine turned out. I'm satisfied with the modifications I made both functionally and aesthetically. Time will tell how it actually works. I'm excited and slightly nervous to see that since this is the first engine I've built.
      That nervous feeling is a good feeling though! It means you're outside your comfort zone and probably learning something. This build has been extremely motivational and I appreciate you sharing it with the forum. I've been curious as well, some of your welds are FLUX welds, aren't they? they can't all be MIG with some of the splatter left behind on them.
      '

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post

That nervous feeling is a good feeling though! It means you're outside your comfort zone and probably learning something. This build has been extremely motivational and I appreciate you sharing it with the forum. I've been curious as well, some of your welds are FLUX welds, aren't they? they can't all be MIG with some of the splatter left behind on them.
        '
        This whole project has been all about stepping out of comfort zone and learning things since I had zero experience in bodywork, welding, machining, rebuilding diffs and engines etc. before starting. I like learning stuff and I enjoyed building the engine but it's a bit different than other work because pretty much everywhere else it's easy to assess your work as you go by and redo something if it doesn't pass the inspection. Of course I did the same when building the engine but still you don't get the final peace of mind until the car runs and drives. It's also the single most expensive part of the build even though my engine is fairly budget setup.

Bodywork is all mig welds with solid wire. Exhaust was tacked together with flux core stainless wire and then tig welded. Otherwise all the pipework is tig welded. My current mig isn't that great and I' ve had problems with it, especially when needing to weld overhead. Could be part of the reason. The mig I used earlier, when I was still sharing a shop with workmates in a different town was lightyears better (and more expensive) than my current one.
        Last edited by Skarpa; 08-20-2019, 07:27 PM.
        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Your welds still look fantastic and it was incredibly motivating to see the progression through the build. Thanks again for sharing. Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

PS. Here's the deadline for the project:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	E30%20Meet%202020%20tarra%20preview.png?img=medium.png
Views:	59
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	9863645
            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Working...
            X