Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn this is gonna be incredible when done. Awesome work
    Albie

'86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 Feedback | Albie's M4 European Delivery

Comment

You're getting so close! This is exciting. It looks beautiful.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
        Damn this is gonna be incredible when done. Awesome work
        Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
        You're getting so close! This is exciting. It looks beautiful.
        Thanks once again for encouragement. Can't wait to drive the car!

Last week I got the gas tank and propshaft in with the respective heat shields. But before that there were a couple of small things to tick off the list. The long brake line for the rear brakes was missing those white single brake pipe brackets that attach to body studs. There's something weird going on with those in the spare part catalogue because in many places they appear to be marked NLA even though you can still get them. For that reason I bought black ones that are almost the same but the hole for the stud is ever so slightly bigger and therefore they don't hold.

For anyone with the same problem: The part number for the correct brackets is 16121176767

The other thing that I had to finish before installing the gas tank was the wire loom for the fuel pump, level sensor, brake pad sensor and the speed sensor. It's NLA so I tried to find a used one in good condition but then I came by a new old stock item in eBay. Because of the corona virus the package is still on it's way but I already realized I made a mistake. Looking at the pictures I saw that several plugs were the wrong shape. I turned out that the wire loom was changed at some point in the model history. My body wire loom is actually from a facelift car and I have a newer style speed sensor and an in tank fuel pump so I should have the newer style wire loom but I ordered the older style. Luckily I was able to find to correct wire loom in new old stock from Finland and could proceed with the fuel tank installation.

There sure is a lot of hose in a tight space. Next I had to install the prop shaft before being able to install the fuel tank middle connection pipe or the heat shields. The prop shaft is from an e36 325iA and it's a tad short. The bores in the center joint overlap about 30 mm not counting the plastic sleeve. It should be enough for my puny N/A engine but it's not optimal.

After the prop shaft I could install the rest of the stuff.

I think I'll need to come up with a small piece of heat shield between the two factory heat shields near the rear end of the transmission.
        E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned about the length, 30mm should be fine unless you are doing stupid hard launches
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            I wouldn't be concerned about the length, 30mm should be fine unless you are doing stupid hard launches
            Yeah, I dont worry about it. Just pointed it out in case someone's doing similar transmission swap. This prop shaft is the cheapest, most available stock prop shaft that'll get the job done but for boosted applications or hard driving I recommend a custom one. For example a shortened E36 328i shaft or something sturdier.
            Last edited by Skarpa; 03-30-2020, 01:34 AM.
            E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

If I may ask where did you source out all you factory panels

Comment

Originally posted by Mkcustoms88 View Post
                If I may ask where did you source out all you factory panels
                You mean body panels for rust repair? Some I bought from other hobbyists but most of the stuff I got from a dealership as well as other stock parts. I ordered by email from a German BMW dealership called Autohaus Pielmeier because the prices are way cheaper than in Finland. Although some of the parts have since gone NLA or received major price hikes. I think we have better availability and prices in Europe than on your side of the pond.
                Last edited by Skarpa; 03-31-2020, 10:33 PM.
                E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Really had to find body panels in Canada , I'm making progress on my e30 but panels from the US are not bad but the shipping is outrageous for a side quarter panel they qouted me $833 us, good lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Mkcustoms88 View Post
                    Really had to find body panels in Canada , I'm making progress on my e30 but panels from the US are not bad but the shipping is outrageous for a side quarter panel they qouted me $833 us, good lord.
                    If that's USD, it's pretty steep. Rear quarters shipped from Germany to Finland should be less than 450 EUR a piece equalling less than 500 USD. If I were to change one thing in my project, I'd replace the entire quarter panels instead of doing just the wheel arches. It would have been so much easier and the the result would have been better. But there's no point in weeping after a ship that's already sailed.
                    E30 Armo "330i"

Comment

Yeah and that's what ii have wheel arches

Comment

Working...
                      X