Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85 323i grey market euro - M tech 1 build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Javier h
    replied
    Filler

If you google:

padded dash filler 2050-9

ebay and Sears have it.

$20-$30

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Before:

After

Last edited by Javier h; 03-16-2016, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    where did you get that padded dash filler? I plan to flock a cracked dash and need this

will you have any extra leftover? beer in exchange?

Leave a comment:

• Javier h
    replied
    Nope

I am sure you read about people using Plastidip for the custom cupholders. The texture gives a great factory appearance initially but after a year's worth of activity it doesnt hold up well. The dash, for me is a different animal. You hardly touch it, so it might be better suited.

Like yourself, I was going to go the filler route (using some filler from Color-Plus I had laying around) but messing with the dash potentially twice just spooked me.

Colorbond holds up better for leather dye jobs from what I read. I have no experience with the product. I am not sure how the texture would be after a treatment but worse case you can always remove the dash and cover it. The mere fact that the cracks are filled be a great backdrop for leather. Leather (alcantara?) would give it a real custom high end look for sure.

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/prof...ia/06.jpg.html
    Last edited by Javier h; 03-16-2016, 11:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by Javier h View Post
    I am skeptical about fillers in general but considering you are not placing any weight on the dash, it might hold up well. Wondering if after you fill it, covering in leather would be nicer? Plastidip has had so so review. What about colorbond? I heard that was better.
    Leather or vinyl is another option I will consider if I'm not satisfied with the results. The reason I chose Plastidip is texture, flexibility and cost. After I fill and sand the dash, most of the grain will be lost, so I'm not sure if an interior paint will give me that texture I'm looking for. Have you used Colorbond?

Here's a plastidip'd porsche dash that pretty much convinced me. Either way, it'll be a hell of a lot better than before.

Leave a comment:

• Javier h
    replied
    Nice

I am skeptical about fillers in general but considering you are not placing any weight on the dash, it might hold up well. Wondering if after you fill it, covering in leather would be nicer? Plastidip has had so so review. What about colorbond? I heard that was better.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    I'm posting updates with pics in the original post so they are easier to follow but here's the latest...

Parts are all on the way, including full M tech 1 kit.

With the dash out it's the perfect time to sort the wiring and do installations. I pulled an old Derringer alarm and installed an Omega K9 with keyless entry. Then I'm going to go through the instrument cluster.

I just filled the cracks with Padded Dash filler tonight. I will sand tomorrow and see how it goes. My plan is to Plastidip the dash.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    It is mkcman17's old car. I don't know anything about rear end damage. The front end is rough though.
    yeah, I got front and rear confused... been a few years.

anyway, guess I was thinking of the right car. good luck with it! sounds like we started out with twin cars and will end up with twin cars.

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    sorry, got two cars confused. it reminded me of mkcman17's car, which I haven't heard about in ages..

It is mkcman17's old car. I don't know anything about rear end damage. The front end is rough though.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
    I don't think it's the same car.
    sorry, got two cars confused. it reminded me of mkcman17's car, which I haven't heard about in ages..

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
    Only the rust picture is loading for me.
    I moved the pictures to a different folder. Links should work now.

Leave a comment:

• pandaboo911
    replied
    I am excite

Leave a comment:

• Kershaw
    replied
    Only the rust picture is loading for me.

Leave a comment:

• 2002jm
    replied
    will be watching

Great, I was looking for a euro car to do my m-tech 1 too, but they are very hard to find. You will find it will be easier to do the m-technic 1 on your 85, than on a usa car....
    Will be watching for tips and ideas for my dd.
    jm

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    crown royal shift boot is not a good sign of a PO

Leave a comment:

• reelizmpro
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    yes!! I always wondered what happened to this car. it's the one with some rear end damage, yeah?

also I have *all* of the L-Jet spares. let me know if you need any.
    I don't think it's the same car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X