The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
    I love my B35 swap. It can be a good bang for the buck. It is interesting looking at various Dyno numbers. My car has a stock head in good shape with a decent aftermarket cam, 10.5:1 pistons, long tube Bavauto headers, and megasquirt and most recently made 193 hp and 203 ft lbs on a Dynomite Dyno.

Prior to going with megasquirt I had home ported B35 manifolds instead of the headers and had a Miller WAR chip/MAF. On a Dyno Dynamics Dyno it made 205 hp and 240 ft lbs.

The weird part is that it looks like my car lost power and torque by going with a better exhaust setup and with the more extensive tuning I put in. I put this down to the differences in the dynos and calibrations used. What are the actual numbers? I have no clue but I can say it pulls pretty hard. The redline is basically 6000 and I am happy with it as is. I was willing to give up a bit of top end power for a more in the mid range. With a fairly light flywheel and the right diff ratio ( somewhere between 3.46 and 3.73 in my opinion) it is a fun setup. If my car weighed closer to 2400 lbs than 2800 a 3.25 diff might also work.

I love to see where your project is going. It seems like M30 swaps are making a comeback:up:
    are you running an m30 g260 trans?
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Yes out of an E34 535i.
      Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
        I love my B35 swap. It can be a good bang for the buck. It is interesting looking at various Dyno numbers. My car has a stock head in good shape with a decent aftermarket cam, 10.5:1 pistons, long tube Bavauto headers, and megasquirt and most recently made 193 hp and 203 ft lbs on a Dynomite Dyno.

Prior to going with megasquirt I had home ported B35 manifolds instead of the headers and had a Miller WAR chip/MAF. On a Dyno Dynamics Dyno it made 205 hp and 240 ft lbs.

The weird part is that it looks like my car lost power and torque by going with a better exhaust setup and with the more extensive tuning I put in. I put this down to the differences in the dynos and calibrations used. What are the actual numbers? I have no clue but I can say it pulls pretty hard. The redline is basically 6000 and I am happy with it as is. I was willing to give up a bit of top end power for a more in the mid range. With a fairly light flywheel and the right diff ratio ( somewhere between 3.46 and 3.73 in my opinion) it is a fun setup. If my car weighed closer to 2400 lbs than 2800 a 3.25 diff might also work.

I love to see where your project is going. It seems like M30 swaps are making a comeback:up:
        That is interesting- I'm sure it has something to do with the dyno change as well. It's odd, it really does seem like these things just work great in stock trim. I'm excited- in the end I don't think it's going to cost me much of anything and it will have most of the functionality of a stoker build with extra torque!

I'm facing a few hurdles at the moment trying to get the car finalized and on the road. Once all of those things are done it'll be exciting to finally cruise in this thing after two years of wrenching.

BTW, sent you a PM in regards to your M30 G260 setup and what you used for the linkage.
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Happy fourth!

Vintage motorsport roundels....... I'm really not sure if I like them or not. We'll, I'm pretty sure I don't like them as much as the OEM roundel. Don't judge the filthy car, I still haven't been able to register it due to ridiculously frustrating issues so my motivation to scrub is low.

Thoughts?

IMG_2474 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
          IMG_2472 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
          IMG_2475 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Also, I've got the next 10 days off work to finish parting out two cars and finish doing a mini-resto on the white iX. I'm doing a black interior conversion and getting all of the small stuff working right which involves new door window regulators.

Does anyone know how to replace a late rear sedan window regulator/motor? I don't want to change the whole window mechanism if I don't have to, but I can't for the life of me seem to get the rear door window motor out, embarrassingly enough.

I've got new timing belt, water pump, etc going in, as well as my freshie iX manual swap with all new slave/master cyls, fresh delrin bushings, etc. I have a feeling I'm really going to keep this one once I'm finished with it......must sell to fund M3 parts....

IMG_2478 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

My roundel anxiety from above has since been cured with some OE freshies.

IMG_2487 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
          IMG_2486 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Also spent the afternoon doing a black interior swap on my white iX, I am quite pleased. This car is nice.

Old:

IMG_2481 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

New:

IMG_2485 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
          IMG_2484 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
          Last edited by AWDBOB; 07-06-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

that ix is clean! and I much prefer the OEM roundels, nothin like keepin it classic
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

The motorsport ones need to be on stripped/ caged cars. Thats why it didnt look right
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                that ix is clean! and I much prefer the OEM roundels, nothin like keepin it classic
                Thanks man! The deadline for the red car got blown out of proportion due to BS out of my control and won't be done in time for my lil road trip, so I think I'm going to take the iX.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                The motorsport ones need to be on stripped/ caged cars. Thats why it didnt look right
                Yep, I didn't realize that at first, and when I put them on the car they just didn't sit right with me for some reason. Now I know why :D

Comment

Update in Bimmerland:

Still trying to thin the herd and lessen the projects on my plate.

-After what felt like an eternity, I was finally able to get Linda registered! When I went to transfer the title over, the BMV didn't like the way we signed the date on the title (two years ago), which resulted in me having to get in contact with the PO (who thankfully was a saint) and have him fill out an affidavit.

-I sold my headers because it was going to cost too much $$ to see the project through. Got some ceramic coat thrown on stock manifolds and pulled a nice iX cat section off of a parts car, bolting it all up to an eBay catback until I change gears later on.

-I am making great progress on the white iX. Got the top end refreshed, full manual swap completed, black interior swap completed, and am tying up loose ends on that to get it ready for the next owner! The engine bay has a wrinkle black valve cover and I scrubbed the bay clean, it's really looking good. Sourced some centercaps as well, never should've sold the two sets I had last year. Still have to refinish the wheels as well.

-A (semi) local E30 friend just picked up an iX project of his own (auto car), so he will be taking one of my manual parts cars off of my hands, and a local drifter is purchasing all of the panels from the other parts car to use as spares, so two more shells down soon!

-My nice lach iX (Heidi) back in PA is getting ready to come out of storage to tie up loose ends and get her ready for sale as well. Shifter bushings, seat mechanism, and a window motor and she'll be good to go.

-The M3 interior is off at Stitched right now getting it redone in German Tan Leather which will complete the interior resto. BavRest rebuilt cluster, rebuilt slider radio (with aux added), new crack free dash, recarpeted rear speaker deck, 60K mile center console pieces, OEM M3 shift boot/knob, new heater valve and heater core, custom vinyl paint made to make the door handles match perfectly, etc etc.

-I am piecing together an R134 conversion from all of my spare parts for Linda so she should have cold AC soon. Also working on making a bracket to remount cruise control in the bay. I'm so close to just having the M3 and the iS I can taste it, but there is still quite a bit of labor in between that goal and where I'm at now. If you are reading this and need parts, check out the link in my sig!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                    -I am piecing together an R134 conversion from all of my spare parts for Linda so she should have cold AC soon.
                    So jealous... I need to do this...

WTT M52 for A/C parts lol

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

If I read this right, you have 4 cars that you need to get rid before you are down to the M3 and Linda?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                        So jealous... I need to do this...

WTT M52 for A/C parts lol
                        I'll see what I have left over when I get it all installed, I may be able to hook you up with some of the stuff you need!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        If I read this right, you have 4 cars that you need to get rid before you are down to the M3 and Linda?
                        Yep! Two nice cars and two parts cars. I'm down from 6, though. It's been a long, gruesome undertaking, but I think it'll all be worth it in the end.

Comment

we're all proud of you making it this far
                          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                            we're all proud of you making it this far
                            The thread title stayed true to itself in that it has certainly been a journey every step of the way. Since I bought Linda I have:

-Parted out '88 325e track car
                            -Parted out '86 325e driftorito
                            -Parted out '88, '89, '90 iXes
                            -Light Resto on '88 iX and '89 iX
                            -Flipped E36 328 Sedan
                            -Bought E30M3
                            -Built this car involving three major direction changes

Pros:

-funded car projects at cost of my time
                            -learning from mistakes on time commitment/management

Cons: sanity

I'm sure it's pretty terrible to read as a build thread, but ultimately I'd say it's a win overall despite it's challenges.
                            Last edited by AWDBOB; 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

The white iX is looking really nice!

I just bought another e30 last week (a '91 318i) on eBay and have been questioning my sanity over the last few days. I already have my project 318is and a daily driver. This thread makes me feel better.

Keep up the good work!
                              '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                              '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                                The thread title stayed true to itself in that it has certainly been a journey every step of the way.

Cons: sanity

lmfao I believe it.
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X