No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah get some 4032 forged slugs with approproate compression height to suit a stock HG and with the proper reliefs. thats the proper way to do it

do those springs have a spring seat/cup?
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
      yeah get some 4032 forged slugs with approproate compression height to suit a stock HG and with the proper reliefs. thats the proper way to do it

do those springs have a spring seat/cup?
      Yep, I already had an email out to Racetep for that exact request. I asked for 10.5:1 to be safe/streetable as some of the 93 in the Midwest I've found to not be so good.

And yes re: 4032. I've had too many bad experiences with uncoated 2618 uncoated JEs to do that again. The pistons sound like they're going to slap out of the block and on down the street.

And yep, there are seats in there, albeit hard to see. I didn't know Rama made a spring kit, but I think I'm going to run these unless I find information to do otherwise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the new billet IE 284/280, HD rockers, and then these springs. Should be simple/effective.

I've got a great machine shop for old BMW stuff so setting up the engine for the new pistons should be a non-issue.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I think that’s too much cam, personally, unless you’re building a 1/4 mile car.

I’d say no more than 272.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
          I think that’s too much cam, personally, unless you’re building a 1/4 mile car.

I’d say no more than 272.
          It’s going in a ~3.1L engine with a fully worked head, oversized valves, headers, etc. I almost considered a 304. A 272 wouldn’t be optimal at all for this setup, it needs to breathe IMO.

I have a 272 in the car now on a stock refreshed engine and it’s perfect. I certainly want more cam than that for the added displacement, compression, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
            Yep, I already had an email out to Racetep for that exact request. I asked for 10.5:1 to be safe/streetable as some of the 93 in the Midwest I've found to not be so good.

And yes re: 4032. I've had too many bad experiences with uncoated 2618 uncoated JEs to do that again. The pistons sound like they're going to slap out of the block and on down the street.

And yep, there are seats in there, albeit hard to see. I didn't know Rama made a spring kit, but I think I'm going to run these unless I find information to do otherwise. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the new billet IE 284/280, HD rockers, and then these springs. Should be simple/effective.

I've got a great machine shop for old BMW stuff so setting up the engine for the new pistons should be a non-issue.
            are you using the RHD springs he sells with his cam and rockers or is it something else?

that cam will be ok, if you are considering throttle bodies down the line a 288 might be slighty better but there isnt enough information on the billet 284/280 available to say much conclusively
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

are you using the RHD springs he sells with his cam and rockers or is it something else?

that cam will be ok, if you are considering throttle bodies down the line a 288 might be slighty better but there isnt enough information on the billet 284/280 available to say much conclusively
              Yeah I believe those are the springs, but I'm not sure because I received the cylinder head that way.

Yes, I will do ITBs eventually, but it may be years down the road so I'm still leaning towards the 284/280.

I had an eventful evening tonight. Got both motors pulled. The next day I have off I'm going to swap all of the early model stuff onto Linda's motor, swap transmissions, and drop it in Black Betty.

Got me a nice lil' Stromung for Linda as well. I bought the Magnaflow 23554 downpipe/cat section so when I buy my IE Long Tubes all I have to do is weld vbands onto the collectors, weld up a Y to the cat section and join it up (as well as adding two 02 bungs, one for the 02 and one for a wideband).

It's so great taking apart a car you just assembled. The black car, not so much. Whoever built it used "new" soft shitty shiny nuts on everything and multiple things stripped, broke, etc. Linda came apart like butter because I used all OEM grade hardware.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Again, Killin' it dude!
                Paynemw
                1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Awesome update for sure
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                    Again, Killin' it dude!
                    Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    Awesome update for sure
                    Thanks, gents! I am giddy with excitement to get Black Betty refreshed and sold so I can move onto the engine!

I'm going to order pistons this week, though, so I can get that process started.

Comment

Yeah I believe those are the springs, but I'm not sure because I received the cylinder head that way.

Yes, I will do ITBs eventually, but it may be years down the road so I'm still leaning towards the 284/280.

I had an eventful evening tonight. Got both motors pulled. The next day I have off I'm going to swap all of the early model stuff onto Linda's motor, swap transmissions, and drop it in Black Betty.

Got me a nice lil' Stromung for Linda as well. I bought the Magnaflow 23554 downpipe/cat section so when I buy my IE Long Tubes all I have to do is weld vbands onto the collectors, weld up a Y to the cat section and join it up (as well as adding two 02 bungs, one for the 02 and one for a wideband).

It's so great taking apart a car you just assembled. The black car, not so much. Whoever built it used "new" soft shitty shiny nuts on everything and multiple things stripped, broke, etc. Linda came apart like butter because I used all OEM grade hardware.
                      yeah fair enough, i don't know if he offers multiple types either.

when you get that cam you should throw a dial indicator on the retainer with a degree wheel so i can include in my database...lol

its odd that there aren't many "aggressive" cams in the 28x range that are ideal for a stroker. They seem to be pretty old tech across the board. maybe the bimmerheads is different

Comment

yeah fair enough, i don't know if he offers multiple types either.

when you get that cam you should throw a dial indicator on the retainer with a degree wheel so i can include in my database...lol

its odd that there aren't many "aggressive" cams in the 28x range that are ideal for a stroker. They seem to be pretty old tech across the board. maybe the bimmerheads is different
                        You’re absolutely right re: old cam tech. I saw racetep offers custom cam grinding. Want to help me spec a cam?

I have the 284/280 cam card, I’ll PM it to you. It’d be nice if it were a fresh offering.

Comment

You’re absolutely right re: old cam tech. I saw racetep offers custom cam grinding. Want to help me spec a cam?

I have the 284/280 cam card, I’ll PM it to you. It’d be nice if it were a fresh offering.
                          OK, PM me i will run a few sims. can you tell me anything on the head?
                          - valves sizes,
                          - flow numbers
                          - port size about half way down near the guide
                          - port entry size (note the entry is at an angle to the port so you need to measure the height normal to the port axis)
                          - CR

Comment

OK, PM me i will run a few sims. can you tell me anything on the head?
                            - valves sizes,
                            - flow numbers
                            - port size about half way down near the guide
                            - port entry size (note the entry is at an angle to the port so you need to measure the height normal to the port axis)
                            - CR
                            Sent you a PM regarding cam stuff. I’ll PM you more info as I dive into it! Thanks again.

Comment

Damn, can't imagine pulling two motors in the same day, let alone one night. Nice work, should make for 2 really nice cars when done
                              '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                                Damn, can't imagine pulling two motors in the same day, let alone one night. Nice work, should make for 2 really nice cars when done
                                I cheated a little bit- it was late afternoon when I started, so not all evening work ;)

Although I pulled the engine in Linda in no time at all since I just put it in. The black car was also just assembled recently, but used some junk hardware that made the process a bit cumbersome.

I’m very excited! I’ve changed plans and ditched quite a few projects over the last three years mainly due to cost and time. This feels “right”.

Comment

Working...
                                X