No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroker parts dropped off at the machine shop today! The 3.1 bottom end is fully assembled, and lookin mighty fine

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

wait I thought this was going to be a 2.9?!
      3.1! Wow!!!
      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
        wait I thought this was going to be a 2.9?!
        3.1! Wow!!!
        It's .4mm bore away from being s52 displacement!

86mm bore, 89.6mm stroke x 6 = 3123! 3.123L ain't so bad considering the s52 "3.2L" is 3.152L.

Comment

I found a used Momo hub on eBay which convinced me to keep the Italvolanti.... boy I'm glad I did. The hub got here and had been hammered off and had compressed splines. Fixed all that and it bolted up fine.

I hit the wheel with leather conditioner, it soaked up quite a bit and dang, she looks good! Don't mind the PO's radio wiring job. I still have yet to convert it over to the VDO TR7412UB-OR that's in the passenger seat.

I got some juices flowing, I can't wait to start driving this car again.

Before:

After:

Comment

Nice chastity belt
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              Nice chastity belt
              HAHA! When the thread first opened and scrolling down, first thing I thought was "why is he posting pics of a boxing/wrestling belt?".

john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                Nice chastity belt
                Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

HAHA! When the thread first opened and scrolling down, first thing I thought was "why is he posting pics of a boxing/wrestling belt?".
                You gotta make sure those things are comfy- Italian leather is the only way.

Comment

I'm trying to use this stay at home order to complete a few looming tasks that I've been putting off.

Started working on getting the Smilies sorted. I installed the good passenger side, finally found a good used H1 high beam for the drivers side in Germany, and painted the rings in SEM Trim Matte Black.

I still have yet to jump the relay so the low beams stay on with the high beams (never did it when I converted to ellipsoids the first time).

I wired up my VDO TR7412UB-OR head unit retaining the factory amp and whatnot. Works and sounds great....and finally no more wiring eyesore. I have a Cantaloupe BT 5908 that I was going to use, but decided to just toss this thing in since the wiring was destroyed from someone in the past.

My m20 engine harness didn't have a firewall grommet because Matt needed it for his 24v harness. I was never able to get a grommet over the plug for whatever reason, so I installed the harness from a lower mile parts car. No more worrying about rain driving.

And last but not least, my kidney has seen better days, and ECS (I know, I know) had ONE Sport Evo kidney (51132233001) on sale so I figured it was meant to be and bought that and some new clips! I need to repaint my euro grills and I'll be all set.

My plan is just to keep buttoning things up on the car so it's ready for the engine. I need to install the offset firewall plate for the steering shaft grommet for the Z3 rack conversion (mine is just shoved on there currently), and I have a really nice crack free dash I've been saving that I'd like to put in. I also have some matte black trim rings and am going to do red needles for an 80s Porsche cluster vibe that I'll get to when I do the dash, and need to install R134 O-Rings because I'll be installing AC back in the car with the new engine.

Comment

Much progress - love that Italvolanti wheel! Glad you found a good used high beam to complete the headlamp set-up. What do you think of the VDO radio so far?

MJ

Comment

Where did you get the R134 O-rings?
                      Paynemw
                      1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                      the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                      1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                        Much progress - love that Italvolanti wheel! Glad you found a good used high beam to complete the headlamp set-up. What do you think of the VDO radio so far?

MJ
                        Thanks! It certainly feels good to start crossing some of these smaller projects off the list.

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                        Where did you get the R134 O-rings?
                        I have accumulated several of these kits over the years. Been pulling from the stash! The r134 thread lists the exact sizes you need, but these cheap little "kits" haven't let me down.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...iABEgJU_vD_BwE

Comment

I've been putting this off long enough..... pulled the minty crack free dash from rusty parts iX today and installed it in Linda!

Nicey nice

And then I pulled the dash in Linda

I took the opportunity to replace the expansion valve with an r134 unit and some fancy green orings

All done

And for anyone who has done this job..... getting this back bolt back in is an accomplishment in and of itself. I am proud to say I succeeded

Swapped my vin tag over to the new dash and gave it a fresh coat of 303

And a nice before/after

Comment

NICEEEEEE. Having done this once, I certainly hope I never have to do that again but the result after doing it the first time is night and day. Looks great man, not an easy job
                            '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                              NICEEEEEE. Having done this once, I certainly hope I never have to do that again but the result after doing it the first time is night and day. Looks great man, not an easy job
                              Couldn't have put it better myself! After swapping mine I apply 303 on a regular basis. I also drive around with the dash hidden under a mat, which kind of defeats the purpose of swapping in a crack free dash, but I'm paranoid of it cracking so it must stay hidden from the sun. :)

Good work AWDBOB!

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                                Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post

Couldn't have put it better myself! After swapping mine I apply 303 on a regular basis. I also drive around with the dash hidden under a mat, which kind of defeats the purpose of swapping in a crack free dash, but I'm paranoid of it cracking so it must stay hidden from the sun. :)

Good work AWDBOB!
                                Thank you gents!! I have pulled so many dashes over the years, but have never set one back in by myself. It was not fun, but it also wasn't as bad as I was thinking! It's nice to go through everything when it's out. I'm doing some porsche-esque black flat trim rings that my brother makes with red needles, and got some nicer switches to freshen things up.

I pulled the drivers side vent to route the harness up and over- the main hurdle was getting the dang thing over the steering column.

I too have a dash mat that I'll probably throw on if the car is going to see prolonged sun (ie parked outside) with regular coats of 303.

One frustrating tidbit of info that I didn't consider beforehand:

The airbag and non-airbag dashes are different in the provisioning mounts for the under dash panel. I had to modify the dash and set in thread inserts since the non-airbag just has holes for clips, and airbag has screws. I just sold another crack free dash from my other parts car a few weeks back, and that was an airbag dash, like my car. I should've just used that, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                X