Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

What did your 2.9L make?
    Best it got was 192 hp and 207 ft/lbs or something like that at 4k rpms (to the wheels). There was always something wrong either in the tune itself or electrical. Would always break up beyond 4500 rpms and I never figured it out before it got a knock. Swapped back to a stock 2.5L and saved all the parts in my basement.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post

Best it got was 192 hp and 207 ft/lbs or something like that at 4k rpms (to the wheels). There was always something wrong either in the tune itself or electrical. Would always break up beyond 4500 rpms and I never figured it out before it got a knock. Swapped back to a stock 2.5L and saved all the parts in my basement.
      Man, that is incredibly frustrating. I am crossing my fingers that doesn't happen here. I'm trying to keep it simple right off the back, so I can eliminate issues one by one if they arise.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Dwight looks like a dude that might work at the shop lol. Right on man. Keep it up.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Dwight looks like a dude that might work at the shop lol. Right on man. Keep it up.
          He is a great resource to have around here (Indy).

and thanks! I’m excited to see what this will all amount to, seeing as it’s a bit more of a unique combo given the head choice and work.

Comment

Black Betty is all done!

IMG_5348 by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

that paint looks immaculate
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                that paint looks immaculate
                Thanks man! It drives great, too. She deserves Euro Bumpers. #eurobumps4betty

Linda's motor paired with a 3.91 and a classic suspension setup and some sticky tires make this thing a hoot to drive.

Comment

Your detail work is always on point, nice work! Must feel great to have this one on the road again, can't wait to see how Linda turns out
                  '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
                    Your detail work is always on point, nice work! Must feel great to have this one on the road again, can't wait to see how Linda turns out
                    Thank you! Each detail presents a new set of challenges which are always fun to work through. Betty had single stage paint that was extremely hard to work with. It certainly put me to the test!

And me too- I am anxious to get Linda buttoned up and move onto the M3, which is something I've been saying for years.

****I, AWDBOB, vow to not purchase another vehicle until the M3 and Linda are both running/driving.****

(lol)

Comment

We have a "Betty" at the shop. She's an 88 manual iX from the Northeast. She is Red Betty, Black Betty is an e34 m50 manual car. Hehe.

Nice job man, keep saving them!
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        We have a "Betty" at the shop. She's an 88 manual iX from the Northeast. She is Red Betty, Black Betty is an e34 m50 manual car. Hehe.

Nice job man, keep saving them!
                        This car surprisingly didn't have a name before I took her over. Betty was the obvious choice!

This is going to be the last side project for a while, thankfully. I am really excited to simplify and finish up the laundry list of projects on the keepers.

Comment

I gave Betty one last clean up before she left with her new owner today! Now coordinating M3 shipping..........(!) I also did one hell of a garage cleanup and actually have space to build this motor now!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

I had my buddy Chad weld up the vbands on my headers and make an intake pipe with an IAT bung. He does great work and will be doing the rest of the midpipe to connect the headers to the Stromung catback, once the engine is in and running!

I'm planning on merging ~32" from the collectors.

Comment

We have liftoff, the engine build is in motion. Block is bored and on the stand. Kevin is cleaning the crank and has the bearings laid out. His is planning on assembling the bottom end within the next few weeks. He then has to touch up some pitting on the 731 and give it the proper RA finish for the cometic HG.

Zionsville did a $100 for all you can carry to get rid of some of their used inventory..... I filled up a big box of goodies and carried it out on a tan drivers sport seat with a sport wheel on my finger. This seat is 100x better than the one currently in Linda. My brother gifted me some seat shocks, too, which I'm going to toss in these seats.

Comment

I doubt anyone will be surprised at this point, but I've been in liquidation mode for a while, and am simplifying my setup immensely.

My 3.1L is almost done, but ended up costing WAY more cash than anticipated, so I'm going to sell that to recuperate some funds. Sad day, but cars are going down further and further on my list of priorities, so I simply can't justify the cost of that motor anymore. I think it will be for someone else, because it's the "dream" M20 build, and everything was done to ideal spec. I sold my Megasquirt, gonna run a custom squid tune on stock ecu either with a MAF or speed density for simplicity since he can do that now.

Which brings me to the engine.... I ended up getting a bunch of engines and engine parts recently for cheap. I'm going to build a 2.7L stroker using ETA crank/rods and late model i pistons using all of the parts that I have here, and shaving the block down 2mm. The i pistons/block only have 130k miles and came out of a well cared for car. I have like four 2.7l crank/rod combos here, so I'm going to pick the best set and use them. It'll be cheap, efficient, and I can add boost later on if i get the itch for more power instead of completely changing setups again. I talked to my machinist (guy building the 3.1L), and he's going to prep/shave the block, and I'm just going to assemble at home to save on cost/time.

Bottom end:

Lightly honing the cylinders, new rings, new bearings, ARP head studs, OEM rod bolts, stock HG.

Top end:

885 head with IE billet 272, INA rockers, stock springs.

I'm still using my IE long tubes to a stromung I have here, 618 pressure plate (still don't know what clutch disc), BBTB, rebuilt green tops, etc etc so it'll be tastefully modified.

mjweimer also gifted me a set of smilies that were gifted to him (thanks again!), so I'm in the process of sorting out that install. One of the high beams is busted pretty bad, was considering putting the low beams in my current housings.

Comment

Working...
                                X