The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    Maybe I should do a GB with mahle MS slugs for the 89,6 stroke 85 bore to suit 885 replicate exactly OE dome just mod the valve reliefs depth
    I don't need them whatsoever, but count me in lol
    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

I have NOS 9.4:1 leaded pistons to mimick. I say leave the heavy hitters out of this conversation, if at all possible.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Nice on the parts stash, and career move! Looks like some e46 stuff mixed in there as well. I may need to reach out to you for some parts as I've had to put some elbow grease into my 325ci over the last couple weeks and noticed some things not working.
        '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Congrats on taking the next step and good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
            Nice on the parts stash, and career move! Looks like some e46 stuff mixed in there as well. I may need to reach out to you for some parts as I've had to put some elbow grease into my 325ci over the last couple weeks and noticed some things not working.

Thanks, man! Yes, Dwight has parted out whatever he got his hands on over the years- there are quite a few E46 bits. Once I have everything moved/inventoried I'd be happy to help!

Part of the fun in all of this is getting to sort through boxes filled with goodies, some of which haven't been touched in 10+ years. I found two e30m3 doors, a box of e30m3 bumper trim pieces, e30m3 hubs, an entire box of radio harnesses, parts and faceplates, etc etc. It's amazing to see what he has accumulated over 35 years in business.

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            Congrats on taking the next step and good luck!
            Thank you! The best part about living in the Midwest and selling things online is being able to take advantage of cheap real estate to take chances that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to.

-------

Things are still rolling in for the stroker. My oil pan is hot tanked, ready to have the baffle welded in, teflon scraper en route, and I finally got my RHD flywheel after USPS held it hostage for a month. I'm still waiting on my MS from whodwho, hopefully that'll head my way soon.

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

I highly recommend that you find a way to digitize this and find no-code software solutions to automate your inventory. This will drastically improve your efficiencies. Make sure your website that you build is heavy with meta tags so that search engines can index them effectively. This will help drastically on discoverability of your content.
              Paynemw
              1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
              the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
              1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                I highly recommend that you find a way to digitize this and find no-code software solutions to automate your inventory. This will drastically improve your efficiencies. Make sure your website that you build is heavy with meta tags so that search engines can index them effectively. This will help drastically on discoverability of your content.
                Agreed- this is the plan. I will be seeking the help of sir Jake (classicdaily) when I get to that point.

Some updates. I've been working like mad on the parts and parts cars so I don't have much, but there are a few developments.

I bought a cheap '89 325i coupe. It's actually in decent shape. Once my storm blows over it's going to get a SuperETA bottom end with a built 885 top end I have on the shelf. Uber budget build. Also got a z3 rack an LSD and some bushings for refresh on the cheap. More on that in what I assume will be a year.

The '87 325iS that I worked on a few pages back ended up in my possession as well. I'm manual swapping, r134 conversion and a few other "tidy" items and it's going on Cars&Bids.

I sold the M3 KWs because it's pointless for me to tear apart a perfectly new set of GCs and other suspension components for 5 lugs.

3.1L progress:

Custom Teflon Crank Scraper came in!

Got my AAF Baffle welded into a minty pan I was saving for this car

And whodwho's Megasquirt showed up. Still need to buy a wideband.

Still sitting pretty.

Anyway, until next time.

Comment

When I originally installed my Z3 rack, I didn't install the firewall plate to move the grommet. I bought one from KIRIEIW, ground my firewall down a bit further to accommodate for the plate, applied a few coats of POR15, seam sealed around the plate, and reinstalled the grommet!

Also, when I installed the crack free dash, it was from a non-airbag car, which has different mounting provisions for the under-dash-knee panel. I was never happy with my solution for mounting the "airbag" under dash panel, so I converted it over to a non-airbag under dash panel, and splurged a bit for a new OE piece. I still have to install the non-airbag bottom column trim because they're different, but this whole project was satisfying.

I finally got around to installing my ski-pass rear seat with rear head rests, as well. A nice little upgrade.

I also sold the red '87 iS, so I have a fire under me to finish the 3.1 and the interior, finally. Going to test fit my crank scraper from IR this weekend and get to tossing the engine in the car. I'm going to break the motor in with the stock ECU on pink tops, and then once that's all gravy I'll switch over to megasqurit. I've got the "rabbit wiring solutions" MS kit, an innovate LC1, and then the whodowho MS unit. Should be interesting.

Comment

I'm not sure how facelift cars look near the top of the clutch pedal, but there should be some tabs sticking off the firewall to hold the back of the under dash kick panel. There's also a plastic hook with bolt that attaches to the steering column that is used to hold up the back of the kick panel where the hole is (look between the throttle pedal & brake pedal). I broke my newish under dash kick panel because it wasn't secured correctly there, would hang down and my big feet would snag the edge.

The rear seats look awesome though. I'd really like a set for my car, just have to wait for the perfect opportunity. I wonder if you can squeeze a snowboard through it?

Separately, is that a Subaru Forester? If so, how do you like it (as far as reliability, expense of repair, etc)? My wife and I are searching for a car for her, and I don't have much experience with Subarus.
                    Paynemw
                    1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                    the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                    1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                      I'm not sure how facelift cars look near the top of the clutch pedal, but there should be some tabs sticking off the firewall to hold the back of the under dash kick panel. There's also a plastic hook with bolt that attaches to the steering column that is used to hold up the back of the kick panel where the hole is (look between the throttle pedal & brake pedal). I broke my newish under dash kick panel because it wasn't secured correctly there, would hang down and my big feet would snag the edge.

The rear seats look awesome though. I'd really like a set for my car, just have to wait for the perfect opportunity. I wonder if you can squeeze a snowboard through it?

Separately, is that a Subaru Forester? If so, how do you like it (as far as reliability, expense of repair, etc)? My wife and I are searching for a car for her, and I don't have much experience with Subarus.
                      The airbag column is different- I have been looking for the rear plastic clip that attaches to the column to see if it'll work, but it is missing on all of my spare damaged panels. I am also installing the non-airbag steering column trim, which is where the center of the under dash panel secures to the column mid way. I need to look for the tabs on the firewall.

Thank you! I got lucky- a local bought my stock leather back seat and I found the rear headrest ski-pass seat in the inventory to replace it with. You can totally get a snowboard through it! The ski pass bag in the trunk and the pass through is pretty handy, even for other things like lumber and whatnot if you ever need to use your car like a truck in a pinch.

And yep, it's my daily. '07 5sp Sports FXT. I've had it for 6-7yrs now I think (I actually have no idea how long it's been) and have put ~70k on it. The car requires normal maintenance, but has otherwise been excellent. It's to the point now (180K) where I need to reseal the engine, but it's still on the factory clutch, factory HGs, factory turbo, factory alternator, AC Compressor, etc etc. I did a suspension refresh recently, one wheel bearing, and just general maintenance. I tow a trailer with it pretty regularly, haul engines in the hatch, take long trips, etc etc. I would've bought a newer car already, but there is nothing else like it on the market that gets mid 20 MPGs, tows a trailer, is AWD, and is offered in manual.

The downside to the Forester is wind/road noise. I have countless hours into sound deadening and ensoite foam carefully placed all over the car to combat wind/road noise.

If it's for your wife, I'd recommend an Outback instead of a Forester. They're a bit more comfortable. A 2.5i Outback (SOHC, super simple) around 2006ish would be my recommendation, but drive both first!
                      Last edited by AWDBOB; 09-18-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Loving the progress, cant wait to see the 3.1 in action!
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          Loving the progress, cant wait to see the 3.1 in action!
                          Thank you, Simon! She's coming along, albeit slowly.

I went to pick up a head from Kevin today and saw that he is making good progress on the other engine- a 2.7L stroker using "e" crank/rods with late model "i" pistons, and the deck shaved to accommodate to make 9.4:1 compression with the right pistons for an 885. Oddly enough, the skirts ended up contacting the crank counterweights slightly, so we had to shave down the skirts just a touch. Supposedly this is not a common occurrence, but we're making it work. I have an 885 on the shelf with a billet 272 cam and IE rockers that will go on this bottom end.

Comment

Finally got around to finishing Linda's gauge cluster. I used flat trim rings from my brother, which I love compared to the typical angled ones, and he also put SI batteries in a board for me.

I toyed around with red needles for far too long, and ultimately decided that I will not do red needles unless I eventually find an M3 cluster (have been looking for ages).

Linda's mpg gauge has always been broken, so I swapped my 7k faceplate onto a 5k gauge with a working mpg unit (whole gauge is the same outside of the faceplate).

I polished my cluster lens with some 105 and threw it back together- I am very happy with the outcome.

Add a custom touch to your E30 cluster with these trim rings. They simply clip into place, and there is no need to remove the cluster plastic as you can pass the small rings through the larger holes.

Comment

That looks fantastic. Where did you get the flat trim rings? Do they press into place or is there adhesive/clips to hold them in?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                                That looks fantastic. Where did you get the flat trim rings? Do they press into place or is there adhesive/clips to hold them in?
                                Thanks! I thought they added a nice, classy touch. Almost vintage Porsche-esque.

And my brother makes them, they have clips designed into them, so you just pull the cluster frame off of the rear section and pop them into place! Easiest place to transact would probably be eBay.

Add a custom touch to your E30 cluster with these trim rings. T here is no need to remove the cluster plastic as the rings can be passed through the holes from the back side. See above the check symbol for the type of housing you have.

Comment

Working...
                                X