No announcement yet.

The Journey of Linda and Friends - the M20b31 Lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure how this thread skipped past me so many times... Just read the whole thing and all I can say is Wow! The attention to detail and documention is spot on. Makes me want to tear my car apart again just for the sport

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
      Not sure how this thread skipped past me so many times... Just read the whole thing and all I can say is Wow! The attention to detail and documention is spot on. Makes me want to tear my car apart again just for the sport
      Thanks, man! It’s for the better you didn’t follow along in the past with broken M52 and M30 hopes and dreams. I’m really going to try to deliver this time around :)
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Picked up my ECU setup for the build. MS2PNP from DIY. Not pictured: an injector harness wired for semi-sequential batch firing. I know very little about Megasquirt and have been reading as much as I can- I have a feeling I'll have a few questions if there are any MS gurus willing to lend an ear.

I'm going to copy Digitalwave's intake setup with his KAM intake to a pipe with an IAT. I would like to run a simple wasted spark setup, but am still figuring that out at the moment. I also have no idea how to set this up for a variable TPS (M50). I'm thinking it'll be much better than an E30 TPS when running speed density.

My pistons are almost ready to order- I need to CC the 731 head to get our final measurements for compression, and then those will be on the way. Once I list/sell the Ronals in the garage I can place my IE order for the Billet 284/280, HD Rockers, Long Tubes, and a few other small things.

I'm getting very excited!

Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Holy guacamole this is gonna be real good.
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            Holy guacamole this is gonna be real good.
            I sure hope so! My stoke level is high....like really high. Pretty sure it’s due to the fact that I know M20s so well, and that everything stays stock-ish. Brakes, AC, cruise control, cooling, etc. This route isn’t really cheaper than a cool m30 or 24v setup, per-se, but when time is such a limiting factor, sticking with what I know best makes all of this exponentially easier for me to execute, which is something I hadn’t considered earlier on in my “buy 14 projects and sell them all” adventure.

Comment

I got my CC kit in and CC'd the head...... 37cc which is stock. Kind of surprised I didn't gain anything but I'm glad I know so I can order my pistons! At 85mm x 89.6 x 37cc I need 7-8 dish for 10.2-10.5 CR assuming a .070 / 1.8mm HG.

Comment

Stock 731 is what 36cc?
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  Stock 731 is what 36cc?
                  36-37cc is what I’ve always heard.

Comment

Busy Bobbie! I am excited to see this and I think we will be going down a similar road at a fairly similar time. I just need to patch up some rust in the ix and then I'm on to the MSPNP! Gonna have to keep watching this to see how it works. I purchased the M50 TPS and adapter and those are ready to go in. I'm gonna have to get a wideband 02 sensor as well to complete everything.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      Busy Bobbie! I am excited to see this and I think we will be going down a similar road at a fairly similar time. I just need to patch up some rust in the ix and then I'm on to the MSPNP! Gonna have to keep watching this to see how it works. I purchased the M50 TPS and adapter and those are ready to go in. I'm gonna have to get a wideband 02 sensor as well to complete everything.
                      I am glad you are going MS! It is one of the parts about the build that I am most excited to work with. I still need to buy the small stuff, but I also have an engine to build so the small stuff will be purchased later on.

On that note, I ordered my pistons! For anyone referencing this in the future, this is the setup needed for 10.5 CR on an M20 with S52 crank/rods with a 731 head with OS valves ordering through RaceTep:

JE 4032 Material Basic Set of 6 86mm x 89.6 x 135mm x 37cc, M20 Valves, 7-8 dish for 10.5 CR assuming a .070/1.8mm HG, 206mm deck height.

If you noticed....I bit the bullet and decided to go 86mm bore, as I'm not endurance racing this thing, and the price was exactly the same between 85mm and 86mm. The only functional difference is more powah and that I'll have to run a cometic HG.

This is the 3L I am swapping pistons in with the top end off showing the work. I'm going to sell these pistons for a deal for anyone looking to do a budget 3L m20. They have a special detonation resistant coating up top.

And this was the thick boi HG:

Comment

I'm having a blast getting Black Betty all fixed up. I cleaned the bay, swapped the 24v swap booster out for a 130K mile stock booster off of my parts car, and got Linda's engine all ready to go into Black Betty. The trans in Black Betty was just put in along with a clutch and whatnot. I put a new shift selector seal in for good measure, and then bolted it up to the motor. I swapped the intake manifold from the Betty's original engine to her new powerplant. It's got a ported TB with M30 plate and I opted to keep the TB heater for that car. I also swapped out the water pump on Linda's engine for the early model one so I can retain a proper early model setup for the car it's going into.

I'm going to throw the engine in tomorrow and get it all buttoned up and start on the cosmetics and small stuff.

Comment

Got the engine and trans into Black Betty. I switched over from engine to suspension work to give myself a break and installed the H&R Sports (thanks, Lorin!).

I need to decide on wheels. I have so many sets of 14" basketweaves, but they all need to be refinished. I am selling the Ronals to recoup cash, and the car also came with really nice bottlecaps with new Azenis RT615K+ tires that I'm considering running, but bottlecaps just don't do it for me.

I have a bunch more work to do to this thing like cut/polish/seal the paint, paint some trim, replace the drivers seat bottom cushion, fix the passenger side headlight, fix the OBC, swap in a 3.91LSD I have for it, finish up the engine swap, and a few other small things. It's coming together, though!

​​​​​​​Untitled by Bobbie Morrone, on Flickr

Comment

Ordered IE Long Tubes, billet 284/280 cam, HD rockers, and my 86mm bore cometic HG some time last week.

I also got Black Betty's suspension wrapped up and back on the ground. Just need to finish plumbing the cooling system, throw the exhaust on and go for a rip. It is so satisfying just spending time fixing small issues. The headlights were missing springs and were adjusted wrong, grills were cracked, shift linkage didn't have the foam in the selector joint, selector seal was leaking, etc etc.

I also bit the bullet and consolidated my 3+ boxes into one and am SO glad I did. I looked at a ton of stuff in person, and the new HF 56" was by far the best quality out of the lot.

Comment

The goods have arrived! Still waiting on the pistons, but I'm going to get the head over to the machine shop just to have a final approval now that the cam/rockers are here.

I'm dropping the headers off at my buddies shop to get vband flanges welded on (offset for clearance) so I can just drop them in with the engine and not have to worry about pulling them back off. I've also been going back and forth between using my Magnaflow cat section or just having him make the merge further back for the gainz (much like this https://flic.kr/p/2heUzJX).

I don't really know what size injectors I'll need, but I have M50 injectors I'm going to leave in for startup with the 3L SSSquid chip until I switch over to the MS2.

Ported 731 with 885 valves
                              IE 284/280 Billet Cam
                              IE HD Rockers
                              S52 Crank/Rods
                              Custom 86mm JE 4032 Pistons
                              Riot Racing BBTB
                              IE Long Tubes
                              Injectors TBD
                              MS2PNP

Comment

gettin' work done! way to go! I'm in the process of patching rust, which hasn't been too fun for me, but necessary and even more so where i live.

Comment

Working...
                                X