Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Euro Swapped 325es (13+ year project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
    Congrats on the new daily!
    I recognized your e30 in that Donut media video instantly! Content is great btw
    You should put it together now, if it's at your home's garage. Nothing better to do while working from home, right?
    I went with 325ix inserts, not sure if they are shorter or longer than G60, def shorter than 2 inches from stock.
    Thanks! I definitely do need to get it back together while I'm working from home. I haven't driven it since 2019

I took a stab at bending the new hard brake line yesterday. Turns out the line came up a few inches short. So close but so far haha. Thanks for hooking me up with the line anyway 2mAn; at least got some good practice with the bender!

Leave a comment:

• gnmzl
    replied
    Congrats on the new daily!
    I recognized your e30 in that Donut media video instantly! Content is great btw
    You should put it together now, if it's at your home's garage. Nothing better to do while working from home, right?
    I went with 325ix inserts, not sure if they are shorter or longer than G60, def shorter than 2 inches from stock.

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    Been lagging on getting the car back together, but I'll be working from home for the foreseeable future so it should be up and running again soon hopefully

I mainly wanted to update to share my new daily:

She's a 2000 540it in Oxford Green over Sand Beige. I actually bought a 530i a few months ago, but it had a few more issues than I had anticipated. I've always been a fan of the E39 platform and decided I really wanted a sport touring, so I waited for the right one to come along and got this one for a great price.

I've now been through 5 daily drivers since I've started this thread (E30, Abarth, Twin Turbo Cop Car, 530i, and now 540it). I'm pretty sure the 540 is here to stay.

Anyway so back to the E30: still on jack stands, but almost ready to go back together. I had the spring perches welded by Byron, but he pointed out that I had standard length strut inserts. Because GC wouldn't sell me their 2" shortened inserts, I had to buy G60 inserts which are 3.25" shorter than stock, so I need a spacer to make those work. I also decided to get new control arms and add poly bushings since everything's out.

Furthermore, one of my rear hard brake lines got stripped during my brake job. Simon hooked me up with some hard line and I'm going to try to bend it myself.

SOON I will have this damn car driving again. It's been way too long.

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    Damn I haven't updated in a while. I'm currently procrastinating while the car is on jack stands. A brake job turned into Ground Control coilover installation which turned into needing to order more parts, wait to get the spring perches welded, etc. Not to mention that horrible upper rear brake line

But by the time the car finally gets back on the ground, I'll have new rotors, pads, steel lines, GC coils with Koni yellow shocks, and a new set of Federal RS-RRs mounted. Just in time for the Dockweiler meet, hopefully.

Since I last posted I finished the bumper swap. I thought it would be a weekend project, but I think it took me like 3 months all said and done. There was aaaalways some little problem, like a missing piece of hardware, or realizing that I needed to use the pre-1985 two-piece metal valance to mount the air dam properly. After installing everything the front still has some fitment issues. I attribute that to 35+ year old body panels from numerous vehicles mixed with brand new reproduction steel, put together by a complete amateur. I'll get to the bottom of the fucky front fitment eventually, but it still looks pretty good from a distance! And this fucker is loooow now. It's really hard to get in and out of the driveway, so I'll need to devise a ramp solution eventually. But I'm happy with the way it looks. Here's a photo of me arriving to SoCal Vintage a few months ago:

And here I am at RADwood:

You may have noticed I finally painted my rocker panels black. That was a long overdue project.

Also copped this sick heckblende. It might say "ALPINA" but it came from an Italian company called Bubble-Car that made steezy euro parts in the early 80s. I absolutely love it.

Aaaand what else... Oh yeah! Renown deep dish wheel. I had to buy 4 different hubs before I landed one one that actually worked. The wheel came with an E46 NRG hub, so I bought an E30 hub, but the quick release setup wouldn't work with the horn and I didn't like how close the wheel was to me, so I bought a used MOMO hub. But the MOMO hub was actually for a MK3 Golf, so I ended up just buying a brand new MOMO hub, which I should have just done in the first place. Such a pain. Looks nice, though. Yes, I need new seats.

And here's how she sits now. I anticipate getting everything back together in time for Dockweiler in 2 weeks. Wish me luck!

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    why does it remind me of this? lol
    You grew up in the 90's huh?

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by WestCoastEta View Post
    Soon...
    why does it remind me of this? lol
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied

Soon...

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    The cow catcher was the only thing stopping me from installing the euro bumpers until I found the hella piece. I have a feeling it'll look pretty rad once it's done ;D

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    I agree, love the character of this car

I happen to have some inside information that the ES cowcatcher is in good hands. ;)

I think Max even worked out a deal where he has first dibs on it too should the new owner decide to remove it. Must’ve been the negotiating skills when you have aviators and a stache
    i am more than likely going to be back in Cali in a few months so i may hunt one down and take it back to the UK with me as my luggage.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post
    i actually really like this car, and i like that its a little bit rough around the edges as i feel it really adds character to it.

i wish you kept the DB bumpers though and the ES airdam! ....

I agree, love the character of this car

I happen to have some inside information that the ES cowcatcher is in good hands. ;)

I think Max even worked out a deal where he has first dibs on it too should the new owner decide to remove it. Must’ve been the negotiating skills when you have aviators and a stache

Leave a comment:

• benwalsh91
    replied
    i actually really like this car, and i like that its a little bit rough around the edges as i feel it really adds character to it.

i wish you kept the DB bumpers though and the ES airdam! i need to get me one of the ES or IS airdams (prefer the ES) but i think shipping it here will be hella expensive!!

keep up the good work, nice to see some progress on the old girl.

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    Thanks! Tires are 205/50. Wheels are ET12 with 5mm spacers up front and 12 in the back; all fenders rolled.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    I really like those wheels. What are your tire specs?

Leave a comment:

• WestCoastEta
    replied
    Aviators: check.
    Mustache: been working on that one for about 26 years; we'll see :nice:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X