No announcement yet.

84 318 Zender Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jean. I know it should be upgraded in time but the plan is to bring it back to stock and running again. May do some simple head work to get a feel for the car and how it carries itself with the current suspension and brake setup.

The floor was done with steel and aluminum by my brother. Rivets and bolts. Bodywork should start in the spring/summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
    84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Originally posted by ZEKTI View Post
      Is it safe to say I will need most everything in diagram? What can I get away with not replacing?
      I just threw away half of that stuff last week... specifically #2 and #8 (both sides)
      Paynemw
      1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
      the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
      1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

I like your eclectic taste in cars. I've always wanted to swap a e36ti with something cool and weird. How do you like it being s52'ed?

Love the way this build is going too. Excellent work
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Is it safe to say I will need most everything in diagram? What can I get away with not replacing?

You'll just need #8 (both sides) in both pictures. But iirc the stock brake ducts don't reach the Zender airdam. I can't remember how big of gap there is though as it's been probably 7 years since I had mine. Now for the valance, you can get away with a US valance if you run no fog lights in the Zender. But if you do decide to cut into the Zender for fogs, you'll have a clearance issue with the back of the fogs hitting the valance. You'll have to get a Euro valance with the fog holes already there or cut the US valance to clear. Then you have to mount the fogs to the Zender. I used Euro e28 ones on mine. I had to epoxy studs to the Zender for them to attach. The #2 that was mentioned in an earlier post, you don't need that as the Zender replaces/covers where that lip goes.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Thanks for the information all. I will be searching the classifieds for part outs in the south or west coast as much of the local pieces are very rusted. As for the fogs I would like to see what it looks like without but as my brother pointed out more lights complete the 80s look.

Looked at the motor more and the current plan is to pull and do a stock refurbish for now. It desperately needs cleaned and every piece of rubber hose needs replaced. Wiring needs redone in certain places and in general the entire engine bay needs cleaned up/replaced. Only real modification will be headers. When the motor is on the stand and head is off it will get new chains, guides, tensioners etc that can be carried over to a more extensive overhaul later on. I'll reseal the trans, new solid bushings where applicable and a lightweight flywheel. The objective is to get a good baseline with the car in a "new" stock form while preserving some of the budget for paint/bodywork which is going to be extensive. Once the car is "completed" in that bodywork and motor work is done, then the motor will get pulled for a full teardown and 150hp+ build next winter at the earliest.

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            I like your eclectic taste in cars. I've always wanted to swap a e36ti with something cool and weird. How do you like it being s52'ed?

Love the way this build is going too. Excellent work
            It's a fun little car. Has been 6cyl swapped for a little over a year now. I've had since highschool (09) and had wanted a Compact for as long as I can remember which is odd I guess. It got me through HS and college and now work. I daily it when I can but not in the MI winters. The power is good and it's not fast per say but with the 410LSD it's quite peppy around town. It's a very easy swap and the needed supporting mods are inexpensive. My friend, BlueBimma (Active on BFC), convinced me to swap as he has done many. In the Ti he has swapped M50/2, LM7, 6.0LQ heavily modified, Ford 2.3 Turbo and is in the process of LNF swap. I've driven the 6.0 and 2.3T and both were very unique and enjoyable. The torque from 6.0 is very nice. His LNF build will be pretty crazy but it's in the early stages.
            OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
            84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

swaps are for guys who don't believe in the power of 8 valves.

Comment

Had a productive Friday afternoon and got the motor pulled. Broke some things removing as 30 yo rubber and plastic break looking at them. Motor is covered oil, rear main seal is leaking. Should get all the parts in tomorrow so I can tear the motor down and clean it up.

OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Motor is torn down. Now it needs a thorough cleaning. Some of the parts may need sent out for media blasting. Dropping the head off this week to get possibly decked and valve stem seals replaced. Cylinders 3/4 leaking. I’d like to do the valve stem seals myself but don’t have the correct tools...yet.

Motor seems relatively clean inside. Need to get the timing and oil pump chain off. Does the M10 need a safety wired oil pump nut?

Hopefully it warms up so I can paint the block and then reassemble the motor. I would like to find a local shop that can clean and rezinc the stock hardware rather then new from Fastenal/BMW.

The motor really needed to be taken out for this. All the hoses and lines are cracked and splitting. It should look good once back together. Does anyone use RTV/gasket sealer on the cork gaskets? Anything special on paper gaskets? Thanks all!

OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                  84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Motor seems relatively clean inside. Need to get the timing and oil pump chain off. Does the M10 need a safety wired oil pump nut?

The motor really needed to be taken out for this. All the hoses and lines are cracked and splitting. It should look good once back together. Does anyone use RTV/gasket sealer on the cork gaskets? Anything special on paper gaskets? Thanks all!
                    That motor is REALLY clean inside, even the piston tops look really good.

I always recommend and use Curil T. Works on engine gaskets and areas where multiple sealed surfaces meet (like the head gasket at the front timing covers on an M10). It only takes a super thin coating on the surfaces being sealed. Coat both sides when using paper gaskets and one side when using a cork gasket. Has worked without fail for me on several motors.

Make sure to clean out those head bolt holes on the block really well before putting the head back on...and if you remove the exhaust manifold studs make sure to use loctite on the upper studs - they are drilled/tapped through into the cam/rocker area and will leak oil on to the exhaust manifold.

Love that you're keeping this an M10.

MJ

Comment

Progress has been slow since weather has been hindering painting the block. Thankfully got it painted today. While original plan was black this gloss gray was different. Still need to paint certain accessories. Head is at local shop. Have a huge pile of parts that need installed once head is back. Hopefully more updates soon!

MJ - Got the Curil. Thanks

OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                      84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Progress has been slow due to late spring weather and myself finishing e36. Head is back from machine shop and on motor. Will hopefully finish up cleaning covers and get the timing chain on by this weekend start bolting stuff back to the block. Supersprint headers are ordered and will be made hopefully by June, then shipping from Italy will take a month. If it’s nice this weekend I’ll paint the bay.

OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                        84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

84 318 Zender Rebuild

Got some of the lower part of the engine put back together. I'm in the process of getting everything cleaned and chasing all the bolts, etc. With the Supersprint headers finally done and arrived I can finish assembling. Few questions though for the people that know M10s.

1. Do I need the vibration dampener that goes on the passenger side engine mount? I read it was more for vibrations with AC on at idle. Ac is now deleted, but is the shock still needed?

2. The isn't a spot for the O2 sensor on the new headers. Does this need one? I ask because the old sensor wasn't even plugged in upon disassembly. If so it should be easy enough to modify the SS midpipe.

3. The old flywheel has engrained oil from when the rear main seal leaked. Should I have it turned or just elbow grease and degreasers?

Thanks all. Hopefully I can get more progress in the upcoming months.

Last edited by ZEKTI; 08-26-2018, 05:07 PM.
                          OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                          84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Looking really good! To your questions:

1. I would reinstall it. M10 vibrations are horrible at idle even without AC
                            2. If you are not planning on stand alone ECU you can have the stock one reprogrammed to work without O2 sensor. Nevertheless, I'd add a bung and plug it, just so I know I have options down the road.
                            3. If there was no or small amount of oil on the mating surface, a good clean should be fine.

What I did on my m10 for flywheel was - m20 lightened flywheel with the starter gear transferred over from the m10 unit (m10 is smaller diameter) so the m10 starter motor can be reused in this application. M20 heavy duty LUK clutch assembly, the taller TOB from e21 323. Feels much better than the stock m10 clutch.
                            '85 Alpine Weiß 2-door with m20b30 ground up build

Comment

Originally posted by gnmzl View Post
                              Looking really good! To your questions:

1. I would reinstall it. M10 vibrations are horrible at idle even without AC
                              2. If you are not planning on stand alone ECU you can have the stock one reprogrammed to work without O2 sensor. Nevertheless, I'd add a bung and plug it, just so I know I have options down the road.
                              3. If there was no or small amount of oil on the mating surface, a good clean should be fine.

What I did on my m10 for flywheel was - m20 lightened flywheel with the starter gear transferred over from the m10 unit (m10 is smaller diameter) so the m10 starter motor can be reused in this application. M20 heavy duty LUK clutch assembly, the taller TOB from e21 323. Feels much better than the stock m10 clutch.
                              Thanks for the response. Thankfully the shock can still be purchased from BMW so I will grab locally. I think i'll take to my welding guy and just have a bung welded in for the O2 sensor. Easy enough.

The old flywheel has oil that leaked when the car was still being used and pressed in repeatedly through the clutch. I'll see what some basic cleaning can do and then consult a local shop if it won't come clean.

Side Note, I saw you're from Bulgaria. I was there many years ago. Beautiful Country!
                              OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                              84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Got some more parts ordered and the car is at body shop getting rust spots fixed and painted.

gnmzl - Found a NOS dampener for the motor off Ebay. Wasn't cheap but least it's there. I'd like to find a more modern replacement if possible.

Does anyone know if the stock exhaust gasket works with headers? I thought about just cutting it to make fit but are there any universal ones that fit? I looked around and could only find turbo manifold singles.

Got the trans cleaned and painted. Will add the new shifter mounts, etc next weekend and get it ready.

Ordered a PS pump rebuild kit as it seems to be pretty straightforward. The BMW PS line was $170 and I debated making one using AN fittings. However last minute I checked RockAuto as sometimes they have random parts no one else has. Sure enough there was an Edelmann and Gates hose for $30/40. They had the same marking on them so i figured same manufacturer. I grabbed the Edelmann and it's made in Mexico. I'm sure it'll be fine for the limited use the E30 will get.

The last of the hoses and lines were ordered so now I should be able to start adding the accessories. I've left out ordering all new hardware and only order what will be needed. It'll take longer to assemble but for now I've got the time.

Charbel is pretty popular in Michigan for having various E30 projects and old BMWs. I'm not sure if he is very active on here but many thanks go out to him and his extensive E30 knowledge. Bodywork should be wrapped up in a few weeks.

Thanks to all for the help on this!

Really like the Duplicolor lineup so far.

Will sand the black paint off raised edges for some contrast.

The trans took hours with power washer and engine degreasers.

Body kit hid a lot, nothing Charbel can't fix.

This is why hood bubbles

More to come soon. This piece been taking away my time.
                                OBD1 S52 E36 Compact
                                84 318i M10 Zender

Comment

Working...
                                X