Lazurblau 325i project thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
    Heck if there is no budget, then I would be doing an LS swap.
    1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
    COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Understood, but if it was my money, I would be doing an LS swap. There is a reason everybody does them. I know they get flack because it's "boring". But For the HP goals and weight, can't beat an LS. Plus you can get them pretty cheap for the variants that aren't as popular.

I've been looking at doing an LS swap for a long time. Seems they range from $10k if you do it all and get like a truck 5.3L to over $25k+ for a nice LS3 and all the "while you're in there" parts.
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

excited to see some booster relocation in this thread. Will definitely be keeping an eye out

now I'm not sure at all, but it looks like that driveshaft adapter should work, considering you can run a stock e30 driveshaft with a zf320 .
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
          now I'm not sure at all, but it looks like that driveshaft adapter should work, considering you can run a stock e30 driveshaft with a zf320 .

This was my thought exactly. Ill probably just order this first anyway and if it doesn't work, then try to source a driveshaft.
          1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
          1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
          E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

the m60 5spd is a zf320 correct? just with a different bellhousing?
            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

To my knowledge yes. Unsure if the m60 puts the guibo connection closer to or further from the diff though.
              Edit: if the difference is slight couldn't that just be made up by the slip connection in the driveshaft?

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

If you want to meet up to check out my brake booster setup to measure and see if it would work for the m60 we can do that. I believe the heads on the m60 are much wider than the ls though. Also I hate to say this but I literally just threw out a full e23 hydrobooster setup since I had no use for it. Not sure if it would have worked for you but it is much smaller than most setups
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Ill probably take you up on that when the time comes. No worries on the e23 booster.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Went to pick-n-pull again today for a few more parts. 530i booster setup and clutch reservoir as well as a block mounted oil filter housing. Not sure how i want to mount the filter housing yet, so I figured I would grab it while I was there to have some options since the 7 series housing is mounted remotely.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Have you seen this?
                      1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Yeah I actually came across that last week, that's actually the exact setup I have in mind. This guy was able to mount his at an angle, doesn't go into much detail tho.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Progress is slow, haven't even started pulling the v8 from the donor. Recently had someone at work quit and another was transferred so my workload is about to pick up. Project is still on, just working on it when I get some free time. Im also working on manual swapping my iX because I'm planning on selling it soon.

When I bought the manual swap parts, I didn't realize it but the PO had snapped the the ix shifter arm basically at the cup mount. Not sure if its even fixable and they are NLA. Ive been working on a different solution recently that I will also make for the i.

Using the shifter cup from that cheap ebay short shifter, I cut some sheet aluminum to fit around the cup to mount it to the console. It still needs to be reinforced more and welded together but i think it will work nicely.

Ill need to install it with some rubber washers or something with the iX to decrease rigidity, but it should allow me to run a shorter shift lever without hitting the transfercase.
                          Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 07-26-2018, 02:40 PM.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Working...
                          X