10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would be good to get a detailed write up of the ibooster install
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

BUMP

We need some updates
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        BUMP

We need some updates
        2mAn Nothing major in terms of updates, and I feel as thought I would not do the updates justice, as the guys over at Highline Motorsports are really the ones doing the hard work right now.

It's definitely getting close. The booster install did prove to be relatively challenging on the wiring front, but more so just finding the actual connectors, as we didn't want to hardwire it.

I received an update from them about 2 days ago, the harness for the car is mostly complete.

Bosch iBooster Gen 2 is currently installed in the car.
        The ECU side / harness side is complete, I believe, and they are currently working on finishing up the chassis side of the booster, with things like the pedal position sensor.

I should have a bigger post coming soon, but we haven't really had a time to go into the fine details of what's been done. Had a few hiccups finding all of the pieces to make the booster work.

But, here is a temporary photo of where we're at!

Click image for larger version

Name:	144003633_2144257652370822_473362630421366463_n.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	9972425
        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

i wanna see some videos of this s14 killer! i hope you get it back in due time.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

The guys at Highline Motorsports finished up the harness in it's entirety and shared some photos.

We're on the final stretch of everything just getting buttoned back up and then I should have the car home before spring to finish up a few more things on my list before the fun season.

Fully hand wired from the ground up with this engine in mind. Couldn't be happier with the results.

2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
            2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Looks great, cannot wait to see this on the dyno

Comment

she running yet?!

Comment

What inspired you to go to Highline? Did you move up to NY? I live ~10 minutes from them and I always love driving by and seeing the fleet of E30s
                  1988 325iX - sold but not forgotten
                  1984 MTech1 323i

Comment

Damn that harness looks nice. Ecumaster EMU Black is a good ECU for sure - Hell of an upgrade from a Tec3

+1 for install info (clevis? wiring?) on the iBooster.
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

any updates?

Comment

Wow, I remember helping you with the m42 in Berkeley. I wondered what happened to you.

Glad you made it to VT safe and finally get to live your dream of a high performance m42!
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by 6A LDY View Post
                          What inspired you to go to Highline? Did you move up to NY? I live ~10 minutes from them and I always love driving by and seeing the fleet of E30s
                          I received many great referrals to them, and eventually, Dave, the owner, reached out to me while I was having issues with the ECU and Wiring, and offered to assist, as I couldn't find any shops locally to me willing knowledgable about tuning an engine from scratch. And those that were, only worked on cars with "1,000hp or more on LS platforms" or Nascar engines. Dave and team does amazing work, and they're very knowledgeable. Not to mention, he's willing to attempt crazy projects for the first time before anyone else (iBooster Install).

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                          Damn that harness looks nice. Ecumaster EMU Black is a good ECU for sure - Hell of an upgrade from a Tec3

+1 for install info (clevis? wiring?) on the iBooster.
                          I can get better photos soon. Turns out, it's plug and play for the most part. Some fab was needed at the pedal for the clevis, but according to the shop, you just wire it up and it works. This is also what we read online, but I'm sure there's more that went into it. It was made a bit more difficult because I'm using the RHD ITBs which are unfortunately made for E36s, so we still had to relocate the booster to fit without modifying the airbox.

Originally posted by eternal24k View Post
                          any updates?
                          Lots, and not a lot!
                          Everything is installed into the car and working. However, the injectors will not fire under command of the ECU. They will fire with Key On, Engine Off position only. Dave is in touch with ECUMasters to find out what the issue may be, but this has been narrowed down to being an ECU issue, or something that was just set up wrong in the EMUBlack. This is the last thing left to diagnose. Everything else is working well.

We did swap my radiator for a Mishimoto radiator, expansion tank, and fan (the e36 kit), but had to make some modifications to the loop due to deleting the engine coolant pipe on the drivers side, so we had to add a reservoir loop somewhere.

Click image for larger version

Name:	162172384_806866226855332_2184339297667724705_n.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	10023338

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                          Wow, I remember helping you with the m42 in Berkeley. I wondered what happened to you.

Glad you made it to VT safe and finally get to live your dream of a high performance m42!
                          Just moved back to VT after my last startup was acquired. Still working in startups, just out east now where I don't have to deal with SMOG. ;)
                          Definitely miss the Bay, and I'm sure I'll be back there eventually, but I've been grateful to be in VT during Covid, as the state handled it very well and we're 100%. back to normal here.
                          Hope you're doing well! I'm planning a road trip with my E30 either this fall if we get everything handled, or next spring where I'll be on the west coast.
                          2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                          2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Yeah, I remember you talking about doing a built m42 or a turbo and I was trying to talk you into a swap if you wanted more power. All because of smog problems, so that's cool that moving allowed you to do the thing you originally wanted!

I'm good. The green car and convertible both got totaled (other driver's fault both times), so now I'm DDing an f30 335i 6mt and have am '89 325iA sedan for fun. I think I'm going to move east around March 2022, so hit me up if you're in the bay before then!
                            sigpic
                            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Depending on where you are in Vermont, come October is a great Vintage Car show in Saratoga Springs at the car museum. Put on by Frank Greppo and his crew It's a good way to meet BMW nuts on the east coast. Good luck with your build.

dlm ny country
                              1974 2002
                              1991 318is
                              20025 325Xit

Comment

Originally posted by dlmrun2002 View Post
                                Depending on where you are in Vermont, come October is a great Vintage Car show in Saratoga Springs at the car museum. Put on by Frank Greppo and his crew It's a good way to meet BMW nuts on the east coast. Good luck with your build.

dlm ny country
                                1974 2002
                                1991 318is
                                20025 325Xit
                                My car is in Saratoga Springs right now.

It's a decent drive, I'm in Burlington. But I'll definitely be there. I'm trying to be optimistic that there's a chance it can be done for Wolfsgart in 3 weeks. It's literally down to the final push.
                                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Working...
                                X