No announcement yet.

10k RPM – 1991 Diamantschwarz 318is Slicktop – 231hp NA M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you only use flexible brake/fuel lines where they need to be flexible hard lines are far superior. even at the top level of Motorsport they still use hard lines. the quality stainless braided hose here costs what many elcheapo sets cost and thats for 1 hose
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

This is neat.
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        This is neat.
        Thanks!

It’s in limbo for a little bit until I can get it into a shop for their mid-winter project.

Unfortunately I had to learn when to give up on doing the wiring myself, and enlisted some help.

Should be in the shop this coming month and have a nice custom harness made. There’s something causing a bit too much straight on power delivery, and the connection to the ECU is intermittent when the engine is under load.

I didn’t want to get too deep on hunting around, and was planning on have a harness made at a later point, but decided it just made sense to do it before I broke something.

Once the harness is done, we’ll be tossing it up on a dyno, getting some base readings, and then tossing the RHD ITBs on it to finish off the initial build.

RX7 BBK will probably be fit for this year, but will be looking at a Massive kit in the near future.
        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Minor update to this:

Recently (last week) dropped the car off at Highline Motorsports in Saratoga Springs, NY for a ECUMasters EMU Black to be installed, replacing the Electromotive Tec3r. We're doing a custom Plug and Play harness and tuning it with AlphaN and installing the RHD ITBs, hopefully. It should come back with at least a 93 tune, but also an undetermined race fuel.

I'm really excited that this is actually becoming a reality, assuming all goes well.
          2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
          2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
            ...We're doing a custom Plug and Play harness and tuning it with AlphaN and installing the RHD ITBs...
            Why the choice for Alpha-N?

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

Why the choice for Alpha-N?
              ITBs and the Tuner is comfortable with it. It runs hybrid with MAP correction.
              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

It's been a crazy three months, but I thought I'd post an update here with what I've been going back on forth on with the shop (which has been doing an awesome job, especially juggling all of the projects they received throughout COVID-19 lockdowns).

When I dropped it off at Highline Motorsports, we walked around the car, had a discussion of what we thought would need to be done to get it all up and running.

That list was:
                1. Remove Electromotive Tec3r ECU
                2. Remove Electromotive Wasted Spark Ignition System
                3. Remove Wiring Harness
                4. Install RHD Individual Throttle Bodies
                5. Install ECU Master EMU Black
                6. Install COP Conversion (R8 Coil Packs)
                7. Made and Install New Wiring Harness
                8. Tune Engine, Drive Home.
                However, as things go, it's never that easy.

As we learned, which makes sense, the RHD ITBs are made exclusively for E36 M42s. This causes a few problems with the ITBs clearing the brake booster.
                There are a few routes we could go:
                • Run a boosterless setup.
                  • Not an option I'm willing to entertain.
                • Use a Renault Clio Booster
                  • No go, because you can't course these in North America.

Neither of these solutions worked, so we reached out to Rama to find a solution: Use 60mm spacers. Sounds easy enough. I also took the opportunity to have Rama sent me a whole new set of stacks that are 45mm bore instead of the 42mm that he usually makes, as my head has been ported, so we want to take advantage of the extra airflow however we can.

In combination with the 60mm spacers, we also needed to source a smaller brake booster than the E30 booster. Much smaller. Supposedly, we heard, if it fits in an E30 M5X swap, it will fit with the RHD ITBs.

So, I ignored that and ordered an F87 Booster that I found super cheap, and it is barely too large for the ITBs to fit, so we were back at square one.

This was based on an assumption that the F82/83/87 booster was the same size as the E90. It was near impossible to find the dimensions of the boosters online, and so I'm starting a compendium of all of the common (and uncommon) booster swap dimensions that I've learned of throughout this process which I will share once it's more confirmed and verified.

On top of the booster issues, the E30 fuel rail also does not fit the RHD ITBs, and I am trying to source an E36 M42 Fuel Rail.

While we're been dealing with all of these issues related to the ITBs, much progress has been made elsewher:
                • Harness is nearing completion
                • AC has been deleted
                • Electric Fan Installed
                • R8 Coils have been installed
                • Medium Case LSD was swapped in
                • Headers test fit
                • Shop cleaned up my shoddy swap job
                Click image for larger version

Name:	bMTUMjk.jpg
Views:	1029
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	9938400

I am very excited to see this com together. (This photo is a little old, but it's the best shot I was sent of the engine bay recently. Doesn't show the AC delete, or electric fan, but you can see the ITBs and F87 Brake Booster, but you can't see that the cones are touching the booster).

Slowly but surely this is coming long.
                2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Well, more progress.

The brake booster has been figured out.
                  We decided to go with an electric brake booster setup. After looking around at aftermarket solutions and seeing the prices, I thought about looking at OEM solutions from other cars.

With this research, I discovered the Bosch iBooster setup, which is used on Teslas and Hondas. This uses an electronic master cylinder with traditional hydraulic brake lines.
                  Between the shop working on this finishing this up for me, and some help from the previous research done by the DeLorean (TesLorean) forums, it seems this is actually really easy to swap into pretty much any car running.

However, this still didn't fit perfectly, and it needed to be moved over about an inch.

Will share photos once it has been successfully installed!

We're so close to having this running, and I'm very excited.
                  2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                  2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

that motor looks cool. curious to see how the engine actually drives in the car
                    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                      that motor looks cool. curious to see how the engine actually drives in the car
                      Im curious as well, haha.

I'm optimistic that it will be fun on the track and the mountains, though.
                      I can't wait to see what kind of power we'll be making with the new ECU and ITBs.
                      2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                      2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Love the updates on this car! Keep em coming
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Super exciting! Sub'd!
                          Gabe
                          '91 318is

Comment

Do you know if the valve cover is original BMW or is just a repro?
                            sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                              Do you know if the valve cover is original BMW or is just a repro?
                              Fill and Drill. There was a guy from Bulgaria making custom valve covers for a while. Seems to have disappeared. There is also someone in NorCal making them, but this is a one-off.
                              2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                              2011 BMW X5M [Daily]

Comment

Breaking news: you are right on track with the Bosch booster. I can't believe people didn't pounce on it when you posted that up above. It looks like the rendering you posted in the gen2... I didn't find this post until after I'd settle on the gen1 because it looked like the computer box would be a better fit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	9953392

I have more photos over here:

Comment

Working...
                                X