• Show
Clear All

Huge improvement !

Keep it up.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Well.... still no diff, but a few big boxes arrived at my work yesterday!... finally!!

Couldnt resist stopping and staring at the freshness...

but enough drooling, time to open some packages Ive had sitting around for a while, this ones the headgasket. brand new from Lynchburg Nissan

headgasket on, ready for head

head was placed on here, I bolted it down, but not torqued yet.

sadly, this was where I had to stop for the night. Im taking Friday off from work, hoping I have something to go pick up, but regardless I will probably be up late tomorrow night and getting work done on Friday before I leave for the weekend. Goal is to have it ready for the Peterson Breakfast club cruise-in thing on Sunday the 25th.

progress...

Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice work simon, didn't realize the bay was so cruddy before you painted it. Looks great! We're overdue for a supercar sunday meet and drive....
        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
        Shadetree30

Comment

Looking good, Simon. Keep it up.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
            Nice work simon, didn't realize the bay was so cruddy before you painted it. Looks great! We're overdue for a supercar sunday meet and drive....
            absolutely, I plan to drive this car as much as possible when its done. I need to get canyon runs in for sure!..

The engine bay didnt seem like a big deal at first, but man Im glad I did it. Looks so much better matched.

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
            Looking good, Simon. Keep it up.
            Thanks Lorin, Im actually taking tomorrow off from work because Im itching to get this work done.

Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Decent progress tonight, decided to work on the manifolds which meant opening another new gasket from Lynchburg Nissan

The header went on with a little fight, still nice and shiny

Next, I got the intake manifold on, tightened the top nuts and decided to stop there.

Tomorrow I will tackle the heatshield, the fun lower (hidden) nuts and then move towards installing the carbs too...

Unfortunately, there was some problems. I had been trying to get the crankshaft pulley on, but the keyway kept rotating up as the pulley was sliding up. After several attempts, I decided to take the keyway and pulley out to make sure it slides in and to my surprise there was a slide bump that seems to be where the keyway was rotating.

I tried to slide the keyway in and it wouldnt slide in all the way.

The other problem, is the coolant outlet on the head. Im pretty sure the tip is broken.

This will be fun...
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

While those other items prove to be a headache, I thought I should press on with the manifolds...

Tortured my wrist again getting the heatshield on...

and got the Mikunis on too...

Didnt have a whole lot of time today even though I took the day off from work. Making progress though and just need to iron out the minor headaches.
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Had some time tonight so I wrapped this up...

Basically started with this

and ended with this :)

The list is getting shorter and shorter:
                  Install Diff and button up the rear end
                  Install Oil Pan
                  Finish up the Cooling system.
                  Hook up the fuel pump and lines.
                  Finish up the kill switch.
                  Make sure motor is properly timed.
                  Add fluids
                  Pray
                  Fire it up

I took tomorrow off from work so that I can go get my 4.38 LSD and also the Swepco201 for it. If things move quickly I might get the diff installed too and could potentially wrap up the rear end of the car
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Got the diff installed today as well as the axles. I bought the Swepco to put in, but the shop also
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

So I wasnt able to finish the car in time for the Petersen Breakfast club gtg on Sunday, but I was able to get quite a bit more done and happily removed 2 of the 4 jack stands. I could technically have taken all 4 out and put her on the ground, but Id kill my back working on the final steps, so for now the nose is up high...

Minor update around the cooling parts, I was very impressed with the parts and speed at which Don Morrell got me the parts. Highly recommend him, wish he was closer but knowing how quick he got me the parts, it may not even be an issue.

New VS Old

one of the big hangups was the studs and it seems the hardware stores near me were quite lacking in supply. Lesson learned, and in the future I will just be heading back to Lincoln Hardware in Venice as they always had what I needed. Regardless, with my friends help I have new studs ready to go.

(again) New VS Old

I get a smile everytime I open the garage and see it on the ground, I will hopefully get some time in the garage tomorrow. I need to get that chain timed properly, then its simple stuff like adding fluids, praying and turning the key

Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

I took a page out of your book the other day and took a day off specifically to work on the car. Was really nice.

Comment

This was an award picture to take. I'm sorry it's not better. This little guy was behind me and it looked so good man! Thought you'd like it.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                            This was an award picture to take. I'm sorry it's not better. This little guy was behind me and it looked so good man! Thought you'd like it.
                            That looks great! Thanks for sharing. These cars really do get a lot of love out there
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. These cars really do get a lot of love out there
                              It was a really cool car to see driving among the oatmeal on the road. Super clean with the yellow and white combo.

Comment

I threw in the towel on timing the chain, and decided to let a professional finish the job. Yesterday, I put the car back down on all 4 for the first time this year.

This morning I pushed it out to the waiting towtruck.

Its now at M's factory in Torrance and he will wrap it up. I figured that if I finally am successful getting the motor timed properly, running, properly breaking in the cam, timing the distributor, etc the end result would be a car that runs, and my expectation is that Miki will be able to get it running great. His personal car is a yellow Z with a 2.8 L-series motor with triple Mikuni's. Seems like the right guy. We'll know soon.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X