No announcement yet.

A 50 year old Japanesse lady: SRL311 01228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone, I was shocked to learn how badass these little cars are, always knew about Zs and 510s, but they are too "cool" for me...

These cars were a hair over 2000# stock and with the SU carbs made 135bhp, and the competition pack (with the Solex carbs and B-cam) were listed at 150bhp stock.

Yes, this car will beat your M42 318is
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice, you did it! Congrats Simon.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Subscribed.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

It was a long day at work, and hot... So, what should I do? I need to get stuff done on Simon's car...

Where to start? Well, the cooling system is suspect and needs to come apart, I think I'll do that. I opened the radiator drain and... oh. that is just foul... I pulled the upper radiator hose off and soon after was able to remove the outlet from the head revealing one very crusty foul thermostat... (sorry didn't get pics, camera was inside.) A bunch of sediment chunks plunked onto the drip pan below the car. Old thermostat out, (might actually still work) new one in as well as the correct outlet piece.

correct-thermostat-housing by 2mAn

Onto pulling the radiator so I can fix the crack in the upper hose inlet. Everything was good, till one of hte mounting bolts broke... Bastard.

radiator-01 by 2mAn

Got the radiator out, and yes, there was sediment in the bottom. I stuck the hose in the bottom and reverse flushed it as best I could. The core feels pretty soft so I'm a bit leery of this thing being good.
          Old thermostat..

old-thermostat by 2mAn

Onto the next order of business, the brake master cylinder brace. These cars tend to crack at the bottom due to being a weak area being repeatedly flexed by the use of the brakes. You can just make out the crack below the lower stud.

brake-01 by 2mAn

The inside... Now the force of the brake pedal is dispersed over the steering column mounting plate.

brake-02 by 2mAn

I figured it would be a good idea to clean the crank pulley so I can time the distributor easily. I marked it with a gold paint pen, not ideal, but better than it was.

timing-mark by 2mAn

It did get another new piece, a brand new factory oil cap.

motor-progress by 2mAn

And the hood emblems. They make all the difference in the world.
          datsun by 2mAn

datsun-face by 2mAn

That is all I have for tonight.

Will
          Last edited by 2mAn; 02-06-2018, 01:18 PM. Reason: fixing the pics
          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by bostonvert View Post
            Very cool car, I enjoyed reading the story about it. Never really knew about these little cars but I do like it, must be a blast to drive when ready.

Any idea how much it weighs?
            The Datsun roadster is one of the least known important cars in motorsports. It was on the BRE Datsun roadster that the airdam was born. Never before had such a thing been used, so Pete Brock protested the team to see if it was legal, this was late 1967. The original idea was for brake ducting, but they discovered other benefits as well. It lowered the underhood temps significantly, and the front end of the car was more planted at high speed. They later installed the oil cooler in the center.

Datsun went on to win a large pile of races over the years. Even as late as 1974 (production ended in 1970) there was a new Nissan Motorsport built car on the start line for the SCCA Runoffs. They continued to win national and regional championships well into the 2000s, the last podium finish was 2014 (I think) by Bill Wesell driving a car that first appeared at the Runoffs in 1969. He was leading till a lapped car spun him with only a lap to go. He got going again and finished a close 3rd place. The car has been retired from SCCA racing now, but will be doing vintage races on the east coast. If you are interested in learning more about the racing history, have a look here.

Many people say the Datsun roadster is a copy of the MGB, but in truth, the 1500 roadster came out 6 months before the MGB did. That said, it will beat an MG in just about everything. I've had my car since 2001, and its been a very good car. I have a little short of 100K miles on it under my ownership and I can count the number of times its broken seriously enough for me to need to be towed home on one hand. Is it super comfortable? Nope, is it the smoothest and easiest to drive? Nope, but it is a ton of fun to drive once you get the hang of their personallities. Every car drives a little differently from all the rest.

They really are awesome cars. Mine is still the most fun car I've ever driven. Driven well on the track they will show their tail lights to many cars that should leave them in the dust.

Here is my car. Yes, its a Petrolicious car.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

cool purchase simon.

nice work on getting it up and running will

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

^x2

Seriously cool stuff...seriously. The Datsun Roadster just scratches that perfect little convertible itch without selling one's soul to Lucas electricals.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Ohhhhh I love it!

Too bad those little things never stood a chance out here. We got more Brit stuff than the cool old Japanese cars that are better in every way, and all of it just turned to dust after 30 years.

I'm loving this thread heavily!
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                    Ohhhhh I love it!

Too bad those little things never stood a chance out here. We got more Brit stuff than the cool old Japanese cars that are better in every way, and all of it just turned to dust after 30 years.

I'm loving this thread heavily!
                    There are a good number of them on the east coast. In fact, there is one guy in Virginia who has 20 of them or something. They are often listed on craigslist. He is trying to sell the whole lot. Has a couple prototypes as well.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                      There are a good number of them on the east coast. In fact, there is one guy in Virginia who has 20 of them or something. They are often listed on craigslist. He is trying to sell the whole lot. Has a couple prototypes as well.

Will
                      The ones in my price/work range look like this:

Sorry

Sorry

....but I'm guessing this is the guy you're talking about....

Sorry

They are less than two hours from me, lol, if anyone want's a set of eyes on one....
                      Last edited by slammin.e28; 06-23-2017, 11:57 AM.
                      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

They are less than two hours from me, lol, if anyone want's a set of eyes on one....
                        One good thing about living on the east coast is that most of the older cars are shit. The reason this is good is because it is much less tempting to buy them all up.

I know the roadsters are rarer and tend to go for more than the Zs, but the first two there have got to be parts car.

I get the itch for a roadster every so often. Good thing I'm broke right now...

Comment

I got the front carb done this evening. For some reason it wasn't nearly as crusty and horrible as the other one.
                          I pulled the cover off and found part of the gasket MIA. That can't be helping anything.

carb-18 by 2mAn

The float bowl wasn't too bad.

carb-19 by 2mAn

The accelerator pump was a bit crusty, but wasn't anywhere near as bad as the other one.

carb-20 by 2mAn

carb-21 by 2mAn

carb-22 by 2mAn

carb-23 by 2mAn

The inner and outer venturi's were pretty cruddy. The ones on the left have been cleaned, the ones on the right... not so much.

carb-24 by 2mAn

The throats of the carbs looking nice and clean now.

carb-25 by 2mAn

This one is cleaning up quite nicely.

carb-26 by 2mAn

carb-27 by 2mAn

Venturies back in place.

carb-28 by 2mAn

carb-29 by 2mAn

A nice looking pair of carbs there.

carbs-done1 by 2mAn

carbs-done2 by 2mAn

That's all I have for tonight.

Will
                          Last edited by 2mAn; 02-06-2018, 03:19 PM. Reason: fixing the pics
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...137618018.html

https://fredericksburg.craigslist.or...137616824.html

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...150055536.html

Those first two are pretty crusty, and pretty similar to what is often found out here. At least that first one is a 2 liter. Speaking of, there were only 15k 2 liters built, so not exactly common. Of those 15K there might be a few thousand left, and even fewer nice ones.

Yes, the last craigslist ad is indeed Craig Halstad, he has some cool stuff, but like he said, its not going to be given away. The 67.5 2000s are the rarest of the rare, and the most valuable of all the roadsters.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Seems like the two extremes on cl here:

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Heres 2 for 5k

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X