No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another day of block sanding. Wheeeeee...

This is what guide coat does for those of you who don’t normally do bodywork. It allows you to see sand scratches and low spots

Then you keep blocking until the black is gone

Always wear your respirator when sanding

Reprimed the roof, second embossed fender, both modified door jambs and the hood

Cut the first part of the new hood hinge V1

Oh, and Brown Bear got me. Ugh

Comment

Ugh!!! Can’t catch a break with the vehicles! Fabrication work looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

I keep thinking “I feel like I’ve been here before”

Comment

Your progress is always an inspiration Adam! Like your de ja vu shot there - when you have kids, they grow up so quickly!

Bad luck on your daily also being hit - I think people are just too distracted / don't look properly when driving these days.

On my drive to work, I see so many cars with damage.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Not a lot photo’ed today. I just needed a “reset” day. Had Easter morning with the kids. Cleaned the shop. Mopped. Got the hatch cut in. Pulled the grille shell. Started bodyworking the car side door jamb on the passenger side. Made dinner. Finally sitting down with a beer. Probably be asleep in about twen.............zzzzzz

Comment

Those fender curves are going to look amazing in AW when you get the clear coat on there. You aiming for the picnic this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by luckybk View Post
                Those fender curves are going to look amazing in AW when you get the clear coat on there. You aiming for the picnic this summer?

I won’t be at the picnic this year. I’ve got a different event on the same day that a good friend of mine puts on. He really shoulda checked with me before he scheduled the date.

Comment

Originally posted by luckybk View Post

Also, it’s Chamonix White.

Comment

This morning/evening I got the door, fender and door jamb all cut in on the passenger side. I also got the driver’s fender and door off the car and re-installed the lower hatch. I blasted and powder coated some hardware and found out that my upper hatch latch is bad. So is the extra one I got. Working on the fix. Also replacing all the hardware with stainless. I know that’s a dump of info, but it’s late, I just got home and I want to get a few hours of sleep in before I start all over again.

Comment

Fixed the hatch latch. Made a new piece from Delrin. Also put the passenger door and fender back on and sourced some more stainless hardware

A little tip for something I do. Align all the parts before hand. With the seals out. Then drill some 1/8 holes between multiple layers. Be conscious of where you put the holes if they’ll be exposed. Then, when you reassemble you can use pick tools, un-popped pop rivers or 1/8” drill rod to align the panels when you re-install.

Once the bolts are tight, pull out the pins and put a dab of silicone/urethane in and over the holes

Comment

I’ll try to post more pics later tonight, but I’m reassembling some parts and finally get to see the color in the sun. I love it. It’s hard to photo, but it gets a bit brighter when the sun hits it and a bit warmer in the shade. Bead blasted all the latch components, lubed them up and replaced all the hardware with stainless

Comment

I’ve had two chamonix 2002’s , it’s a beautiful color particularly on 50’s to 70’s machines. Looks great on your Volvo.
                          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                            I’ve had two chamonix 2002’s , it’s a beautiful color particularly on 50’s to 70’s machines. Looks great on your Volvo.

What was interesting to me was that the paint supplier didn’t have a mix recipe for base/clear. Only single stage. They had to call the PPG library and get the recipe. So my cab has just a PPG code number, not 085 on it.

Comment

Chamonix is one of those colors that you don't realize how dirty your car is until you clean it.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                Chamonix is one of those colors that you don't realize how dirty your car is until you clean it.

Perfect for a wet PNW driven car!

Comment

Working...
                                X