No announcement yet.

*!Build of the year candidate!* Strange PNW Build: E30+Volvo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...why the 122 got the wiring loom through the headliner is... baffling.

Mine had a short in the taillights, and there are burn marks along there, over the driver's head.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Outstanding work. Do you have any more detail on the copper pipes into the cam cover before the rebuild started?

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
        Outstanding work. Do you have any more detail on the copper pipes into the cam cover before the rebuild started?

I ran the spark plug wires through them.

Comment

Still doing boring stuff. Got the fuel filler completely modded, painted and in place. Been working on filler panels still. You can make some decent filler panels with just a few tools from Harbor Freight.

Also powder coated the ITBs chrome with a copper candy topcoat (it just looks orange LOL).

Comment

This week/weekend's accomplishments include getting the fuel filler modified/installed (no decent pictures), smoothing the driver's side sill/transition and spraying satin black, getting the back half of the car (including both wheel wells) stuck together and Raptor lined. I use the Raptor in the back and in the wheel wells like undercoat. Only more durable and "encapsulating".

Comment

Great work!
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

I need to make a decision on interior color. Originally I really wanted to do like a blood red-burgundy type color, but I realized that maybe why I like that combo so much is that it would basically wind up like the Voxx Amazon

Not that it's a bad thing, but I don't want to completely rip him off. So now I'm leaning towards a Volvo OEM color like Atacama or something

Of course the dash and other parts will be black/charcoal, but I'm not a fan of tan and full black/charcoal

Oh, made myself some front coilovers this weekend too.

Still need to make some upper spring perches and top plates. That's it for now besides incremental progress on stitching together and metal prep

Comment

Originally posted by adam.nonis View Post
                  To do that I'd need a harness, ECU, CPS/bracket and toothed pulley, right?
                  nope.. just swap the DME. it's a 'vert, it already has the later Motronic harness (we never had early motronic on the M20B25 here), but has the early 2-layer DME. Actually, if it runs fine and you aren't going to chip it you could just leave it be and swap the DME later.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    nope.. just swap the DME. it's a 'vert, it already has the later Motronic harness (we never had early motronic on the M20B25 here), but has the early 2-layer DME. Actually, if it runs fine and you aren't going to chip it you could just leave it be and swap the DME later.

I was under the assumption this was 1.0?

Comment

was it a grey market import? you're right that's a 1.0 harness.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        was it a grey market import? you're right that's a 1.0 harness.

Comment

yeah that's why - early euro M20B25's have Motronic 1.0.

you'd need the harness, sensors, injectors, FPR, and timing wheel to conver to Motronic 1.3. Maybe not a huge priority unless something is actually wrong with 1.0. there's also probably not much you can do as far as tuning on the earlier computer (just lack of availability).
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Picking out interior colors.

Comment

Since the taillight is on a hinged panel now I started making my own LED taillights. Middle and top red lens will be 50% rows for parking light and all rows for brake light. Bottom clear lens will be two rows white LEDs for reverse and three rows red LEDs for turn signal.

Comment

Nice! 122 taillights were lucky to glow dimly, at best...

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X