Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    so just the black/anthracite OEM carpet still available right? Does it include all the padding / backing material stuff?

    thought the new material OEM dash and console bits were just temporarily out of stock?

    Is Stitched doing the same material and color scheme as the Lessmeister build?
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

    HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

    88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

    OEM+ or bust!


    reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

    Comment


      I prefer the OEM look

      but have always wondered about these alternatives:





      It might look good depending on the execution. You might have to end up matching the console which just adds to the cost.

      I'd stick to the oem dash because it would cheaper. Something about the padding just seems out of place.
      Last edited by Javier h; 12-21-2017, 08:17 AM.

      Comment


        Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        so just the black/anthracite OEM carpet still available right? Does it include all the padding / backing material stuff?

        thought the new material OEM dash and console bits were just temporarily out of stock?

        Is Stitched doing the same material and color scheme as the Lessmeister build?
        There were 3 black carpets available when I ordered mine last Friday. There are 2 or less now. Yes it comes with the high density foam molded to the back just like original.

        Dash is NLA with no ETA. There is no saying if its a temporary thing or if it may never be available again.

        I haven't decided on the materials and patterns for the interior yet. It will be black for sure, but beyond that I'm undecided.


        I like the leather wrapped dashes, but its not something that is right for what this car is being made to be.
        Last edited by Jordan; 12-21-2017, 09:23 AM.

        Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

        Comment


          Where did you order the carpet? Can you PM me? Do you know if they have carpet for an ix?
          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611


          Could be better, could be worse.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Jordan View Post
            Jordan @ Stitched will be handling the rest of the interior with newly upholstered seats, headlining, door cards, boots etc.

            The carpet is brand new from BMW.

            The only big piece missing at this point is the dash, which new is now NLA. I'd happily buy a new dash from anyone that is holding.
            Jordan did the interior in the red car as well, correct?

            What is your reason for wanting a new dash? Hard to find one not cracked, or you just prefer the new dash for this specific build?

            Comment


              Carpet was ordered from the dealer. No idea if a iX carpet is still available or in what colors.

              Jordan @ Stitched did the interior in the red car yes.

              Hard to find an original dash that is not cracked, and the new dashes look so much nicer, and are actually black. Original dashes are all a kind of faded olive gray color now it seems. That said I'd also buy and use an original dash if its priced right and found local.

              Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

              Comment


                Got the call from the powdercoaters today that all my parts are done. No way to get over there today though with work, which means I have to lament until Tuesday to pick everything up... ARRRRGGGG.

                Carpet came in yesterday and I stopped by the dealer on my way home to load it up. Box felt super light so I opened it up to check it out. PN on box and bagged carpet was correct (51471933411 $1238.73 List) but the carpet stuffed in the bag was some JC Whitney special... lol. Someone stiffed some dealer by pulling a switch and returned it to some bonehead parts associate that didn't know what they were looking at.

                2 carpets left in the states, I told them to go ahead and order both and see if we have better luck. That's all she wrote on black carpets, at least in the states. I didn't ask about AG quantity. Dealer said this sort of shit happens more often than you would think, pretty disappointing really.

                This weekend my primary goal is to finish hardware blasting prep so I can drop it all off at the platers Tues or Weds next week. The shop is closed for the week, which lends me a great opertunity to run this stuff around.

                Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

                Comment


                  That's really disappointing. Hopefully they put them back in production, i wouldn't mind one
                  sigpic

                  (clicky on piccy to get to thread)

                  Comment


                    What's your plan for the back piece of the carpet. It looks NLA as well.

                    For the dash, you can try fixing it and find someone in your are who does this with the vinyl of your choice

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5gl5AKvF_I

                    Comment


                      On the little rear section thats easy enough to reupholster with a thick swatch of black material that is close to the new carpet. I did that with the last car I put the new carpet in and once its installed you wouldn't know any different.

                      I'm happy to say I'm nearly done processing hardware. In fact I thought I'd finished, but then I went and remembered that I still had to tear down the M42 on the stand to process its hardware too... arg lol...

                      Closeup of some of the last hardware, mainly the small stuff, after glass bead blasting.



                      Same hardware after 8 hours or so in the vibratory tumbler with ceramic media.




                      and finally after hand burnishing to a nice luster.



                      Now I can turn my attention to the M42 that came out of the car, the engine that spent 2 days under water.... Mind you its been sitting on the stand awaiting attention for months. Still turns over fine.



                      Off with some things



                      Down to just the block and rotating assembly. Only cylinder #3 had -any- water in it. 1,2,4 were bone dry and as you'd expect to see them.



                      Cylinder #3 and 4, with the water mopped out. No rust on the walls at all. Weathered the storm and the subsequent standing without issue.



                      Cylinder #1 and 2.



                      With that all done I headed home with the powdercoated parts I'd picked up earlier in the day and laid them out on the garage floor for safe keeping until they are needed. I had everything done in satin black and it came out fantastic.









                      Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                        Got the call from the powdercoaters today that all my parts are done. No way to get over there today though with work, which means I have to lament until Tuesday to pick everything up... ARRRRGGGG.

                        Carpet came in yesterday and I stopped by the dealer on my way home to load it up. Box felt super light so I opened it up to check it out. PN on box and bagged carpet was correct (51471933411 $1238.73 List) but the carpet stuffed in the bag was some JC Whitney special... lol. Someone stiffed some dealer by pulling a switch and returned it to some bonehead parts associate that didn't know what they were looking at.

                        2 carpets left in the states, I told them to go ahead and order both and see if we have better luck. That's all she wrote on black carpets, at least in the states. I didn't ask about AG quantity. Dealer said this sort of shit happens more often than you would think, pretty disappointing really.

                        This weekend my primary goal is to finish hardware blasting prep so I can drop it all off at the platers Tues or Weds next week. The shop is closed for the week, which lends me a great opertunity to run this stuff around.
                        Great you noticed the weight was off. They most likely would not have believed you after you left.

                        [IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

                        Comment


                          How does the powder coating stand up to being scratched and putting fasteners in? Does it chip at all?

                          We powder coated some wheels but mustn't have done the prep right as when the wheel nuts went on it chipped the paint pretty badly.
                          sigpic

                          (clicky on piccy to get to thread)

                          Comment


                            Are you going to plate that hardware?
                            @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20B25, T3/T04E 60 trim (15psi), megasquirt, coilovers, Z3 rack, cold AC
                            [b u i l d]
                            [Car of the month: April 2018]

                            0c8b7c9527af628a346878feb14bf757

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Jordan View Post

                              Carpet came in yesterday and I stopped by the dealer on my way home to load it up. Box felt super light so I opened it up to check it out. PN on box and bagged carpet was correct (51471933411 $1238.73 List) but the carpet stuffed in the bag was some JC Whitney special... lol. Someone stiffed some dealer by pulling a switch and returned it to some bonehead parts associate that didn't know what they were looking at.

                              sounds more like the inside job. I have a hard time believing that any dealer would take an order item like carpet back. Good luck with your new order. I was thinking to pull a trigger on the new carpet but decided to keep my interior with the original color scheme. Even ordered replacement covers for my comfort seats.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by econti View Post
                                How does the powder coating stand up to being scratched and putting fasteners in? Does it chip at all?

                                We powder coated some wheels but mustn't have done the prep right as when the wheel nuts went on it chipped the paint pretty badly.
                                Powdercoat like all things... you get what you pay for. Place that powdercoat wheels on the cheap don't do any real prep work. They wipe the wheel down, fill any many gashes and then apply powder right over whatever is already they're. While the powder applies and bakes smooth, it has no mechanical bond to the substrate and and chips, rips off easily.

                                I use Precision Powder Coating here in Spring. They are the most expensive place in town. They blast everything 100% with coarse grit and then hot wash the parts to ensure complete cleanliness. The put a 2 year no BS warranty on everything they do.

                                They have some demo parts in the office and a demo hammer, they are always happy to beat the snot out of the demo part, and I've seen them take a pocket knife to them too lol. Hammer doesn't chip, only mars. Knife won't chip only shave.


                                Originally posted by varg View Post
                                Are you going to plate that hardware?
                                Yes, its all going out for yellow zinc chromate plating this week.

                                Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X