Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

I purchased 5x 15" Euroweaves. I'm expecting them to be dropped off from being completely stripped and refinished next week on Monday.
    Nice choice. Color?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

BMW 144 Felgensilber

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

I decided to go ahead and add the steering rack and the transmission to the list of parts getting vapor honed, which meant I had to pre clean the transmission. I'd already cleaned the rack some time ago, but this morning I went into work to pressure wash, scrub with gas on the trans until it was as clean as possible.

Some might stop here, but it can be so much nicer, and the vapor honing will make it so.

I started tinkering with small sets of hardware this afternoon, like the 2 bolts, springs, nuts that hole the catalyst section to the muffler section.

Reassembling the clutch slave cylinder.

The rear brake bias/limiting valve, which I couldn't figure out how went back together so I'll have to open the other one to check lol.

Parking brake preload adjusters, with high temp grease.

The shelves are getting very full, and are putting in work no doubt.

Comment

Another day, more busy work. I'm starting to worry I'm going to end up hung and waiting on the car to come back from paint to continue.

Fresh studs pressed back into the refinished bumper shocks (nevermind dirty fingerprint)

Time to put the front struts together into finished assemblies.

Leaving the dust cap off until I have them on the car and I can torque the main spindle nut to spec. H&R Sports are *just right* height wise that you can compress by hand and get the top nut started. No tool marks on the springs.

and again

Moving on to the rear trailing arms, same story here. Started by pressing in the rear trailing arm bushings, 2 per arm of course.

Easy as pie with the AKG tool

Assembling the parking brake hardware

and place them with their front counterparts

Next item to cross off todays list was the driveshaft, which I had the ujoints replaced on last week. I sanded and refinished the shaft with SEM 39143 (Trim Black) and then got to work putting it together with the replated hardware.

Comment

Good work!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Forgive me if its already been asked but will the car be listed for sale upon completion or are you keeping this one?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

hmmm.....you mentioned vapor honing above. that was a process i wasn't familiar with. i decided to do some googling and found it was glass bead blasting with water. judging by the youtube vids i watched on the process, it appears to be awesome. are you planning to have the entire trans blasted whole? are you worried at all about grit getting inside the trans?

i wonder if i can convert my large harbor freight blast cabinet to this process? i bet i would have to buy a different gun and several other things. could be worth it.

why didn't you use this process on all your hardware? it appears that you wouldn't have had to re polish it afterward?
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  Forgive me if its already been asked but will the car be listed for sale upon completion or are you keeping this one?
                  Yes.

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  hmmm.....you mentioned vapor honing above. that was a process i wasn't familiar with. i decided to do some googling and found it was glass bead blasting with water. judging by the youtube vids i watched on the process, it appears to be awesome. are you planning to have the entire trans blasted whole? are you worried at all about grit getting inside the trans?

i wonder if i can convert my large harbor freight blast cabinet to this process? i bet i would have to buy a different gun and several other things. could be worth it.

why didn't you use this process on all your hardware? it appears that you wouldn't have had to re polish it afterward?
                  No chance in hell the HF cabinet can be converted, I have the 40lb HF cabinet here at the shop and it leaks glass bead dust like a mofo even with all the joints foam taped and caulked. It would never hold water. Completely different cabinet designs.

Vapor honing cabinets are water tight and the slurry pump is there the real action is. The basic cabinets start around $4k and go up in size. Yes vapor honing is amazing, I'm really excited to get the parts back so I can show you guys how much so.

The trans is reasonably well sealed and I had them tape off the vent tube at the top. All seals and plugs are in place, I doubt anything will get inside but I planned to douche it with brake parts cleaner regardless after.

The shop I use for vapor honing is $75/hr on whatever you like processed. I probably have 30 some odd hours into hardware prep. That's not a logical decision to pay someone else to do.

Comment

This evening I took the 168mm 4.10 LSD home to break it down and assess the condition of the guts. I also wanted to replace the clutches and needed to determine if this was a 21 or 23 tooth unit.

I found all the internals, bearings included to be in great shape, so I'll order a clutch kit from Thayer, reseal it and we're good to go. Of course I'll spend some time cleaning up the case too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                      This evening I took the 168mm 4.10 LSD home to break it down and assess the condition of the guts. I also wanted to replace the clutches and needed to determine if this was a 21 or 23 tooth unit.

I found all the internals, bearings included to be in great shape, so I'll order a clutch kit from Thayer, reseal it and we're good to go. Of course I'll spend some time cleaning up the case too.

I bet the oil rings in that thing looked great since it sat for so many years. I went through 2 sets on mine to find a good set

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

You can't afford it :-) plus you would have to outbid me

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                        Current Cars:
                        2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                        2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                        2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                        1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                        1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                        1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                        1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                        2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                        CLEAN E30'S
                        S54 DRIVETRAIN
                        E30 DASH
                        E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
                          You can't afford it :-) plus you would have to outbid me

Lol i was just curious, i don’t want it. Nothing against car its coming along amazing. I just prefer to build my own.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Lol i was just curious, i don’t want it. Nothing against car its coming along amazing. I just prefer to build my own.
                            I'm just messing with you, I'm easily outbid :-) I know what you mean back 20 years ago I would build my own stuff, I don't have the energy or the physique to do it anymore, Jordan is outstanding in his Precision, attention to detail and knowledge of these cars

Current Cars:
                            2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                            2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                            2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                            1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                            1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                            1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                            1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                            2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                            CLEAN E30'S
                            S54 DRIVETRAIN
                            E30 DASH
                            E30 PARTS

Comment

This evening I spent some time in the garage cleaning up the differential case, and side bearing holders. Paint on the differential case is in fantastic condition and once the dirt, cosmoline was removed the paint was easily shined up to look like a spring chicken. Not bad for being 25 years old.

Next task was to take the two output shaft stubs and clean them up. These were soaked in varsol to remove the grease cakes maybe two months ago and humidity attacked them a bit. The one on the right is how they both started out, the one on the left obviously fully reconditioned.

I then went on to do the same reconditioning for the rear wheel hubs, but I forgot to take a picture of the before. Yes... these are the original 25 year old hubs, with new wheel bearings ready to install.

Wheel bearings and hubs pressed into the trailing arms, now complete assemblies.

Comment

Love seeing this going together with all the newly plated parts. A huge investment to get it done, both in straight time, but also in having to strip the entire car at once.

How did you go about cleaning up the splined areas of the output flanges?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X