No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not near as much forward progress this weekend as I had hoped for. Between some setbacks, and helping Jon work on his S14 restoration I have little to show but here we go...

First task was to construct a new coil pack to replace the old crusty one. Ostensibly the coil pack was fine, but of course its obviously old and crusty.

I order four new Bremi coil packs which are identical once you take the boot off of them (for M5x applications) and flip the connector retainer clips.

Old:

Side by side:

Hung in place on the car:

Next order of business was to get the power antenna installed so I could finish installing the trunk liners. I bench tested it and found it was only working intermittently. After some initial trouble shooting I decided to blow it apart, clean it and reassemble with new grease.

Mmmm dust, crust and 28 year old powdered remains of grease.

Blown apart:

Reassembled with new grease on all friction points. Nylon gear safe Viperlube used. Bench tested again and working slick as snot. Oiled the mast with Lucas gun oil and then fully retracted it for installation.

and... installed

Moving under the car I wanted to try to get some of the plastic liners and crap off the shelves and hung on the car.

Fuel vapor expansion tank, filler neck and associated hoses. Oetiker clamps throughout.

Front wheel well liners:

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Hey Jordan, do you have the BMW PN for the grommet that the wiring to the rear side markers go to? I only found the included if you purchase the e30 m3 ones.

And like always, mad props for this project and your work towards it. An e30 is lucky to have you.
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

No idea on the PN of that grommet as its part of the chassis wiring harness and mine were perfectly find.

99% sure the ones that pass through the body under the rear seat that are part of the rear wheel speed sensors are the same grommet though, those may be easier to find in good clean condition.

Comment

Do you source the Oetiker clamps from BMW, or elsewhere?

Comment

No idea on the PN of that grommet as its part of the chassis wiring harness and mine were perfectly find.

99% sure the ones that pass through the body under the rear seat that are part of the rear wheel speed sensors are the same grommet though, those may be easier to find in good clean condition.
            Thanks and will try to source those. My car has those depleted as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

I had nothing but problems with the Bremi coil packs. 3 of the 4 I ordered from ECS failed over the course of 5 months. Instead of continually filing warranty claims for replacements I just sent them all back for a full refund. Hopefully I just got a bad batch and you have better luck with them. I'm ordering Bosch units next time.

Comment

Personally I don't think I've ever had a Bremi coil fail, but I suppose I can cross that bridge when I get there. I get a 3/36 warranty on them from WorldPac anyway.

A little work this evening.

Fuel filler pocket liner installed, along with a new filler neck cap.

Anti-tamper cap installed onto the ABS pump to complete it. Don't mind the unwashed headlamp connector, its subject to change...

New ZF power steering reservoir with new Cohline hoses. Pukar ATF sticker on top.

Both AC lines from the expansion valve to the fire wall installed.

Again with the cork filled butyl tape sealant to the IHKS case.

View from the engine bay.

Comment

is that original firewall insulation (center piece) or you splurged for a new one? Also from your experience rebuilding the harness...what is the best way to add and carry some extra wires through the firewall? Are the extra "knock outs" in the main rubber grommets?
                  Last edited by zaq123; 03-12-2019, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I purchased the three piece firewall insulation set new.

There are a few extra passages in the firewall harness grommet in which you could pass through some additional wiring. In my cars case there is no cruise control, and I removed all of the airbag wiring so I'm not positive there is anything beyond what that freed up.

Comment

What did you do with the harness to convert it from the sealed beam wiring to the Smiley? Currently trying to decide if I should retain the sealed beam connector or hack it and do some wiring.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I am making plug and play adapters so no cutting, its on the to do list.

Comment

Wonderful, I will be waiting
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2man View Post
                            wonderful, i will be waiting

+1
                            '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

That is what I did with mine.
                              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Finally got around to reassembling my door mirrors this evening. Special thanks to "Replicam3cabrio" for lending me a specialty tool he made for reproducing the double flared hollow rivets that hold the mirrors together.

With this tool you can drill out the original rivet, separating the mirror halves and actually get paint everywhere. Without it no matter how you try you can't quite get a perfect finish.

Split mirrors, freshly plated springs, and the special tool with one sided rivets. The tool forms the inner flare.

Tool and rivet pushed through base plate.

Once tool run through its range and inner flare formed.

Closeup of rivet and spring on bottom side.

Power mirror motor, harness and rubber base plate assembled. New glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X