Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I do things.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Glaede View Post
      That said, would it be possible for you to shoot a picture of the stereo wiring? I've yet to own an E30 with the org. stereo wiring. They have all been cut up and I would like to bring my current back to the org. stereo and wiring?
      I can snap a picture for this this evening when I get back home.

      Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
      what is the story behind the dash? Restored euro model ( I see no vin tag or it's holes)? Rewrap of some sort?
      Imported from the Europe. FedEX damaged it because they suck at life, I had the small damage repaired and the whole dash redyed. Came out pretty decent second go around.

      Originally posted by rjsimeon View Post
      did I miss what product you painted your lower skirting? I'm looking to redo mine as well! looking good man.
      Same as for the window linings and other exterior trim. SEM Trim Black Ultra Matte 49133.

      Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

      Comment


        Originally posted by Jordan View Post
        Imported from the Europe.
        I LOL'd
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

        Comment


          Can´t wait to see the finished project, it's one of the best things I've seen! greetings from Argentina.
          Tomas Mercado. 19´

          81´ BMW 320 E21
          83´ BMW 318I E30

          Buenos Aires, Argentina.

          Comment


            Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

            Originally posted by Jordan View Post



            Because bodyshop dust and grime. Had to blow it all apart to clean it adequately.... Will be going back on this week.


            I'm going the same route with all rolling chassis installed, tank etc prior to the painting. Undercarriage is fully restored (the only pic I got on my phone)...currently bolting everything .



            Was it due to them washing it, dust from rolling around or the overspray. The last one is my biggest concern obviously. Just want to make sure good masking job is possible to keep overspray out.



            Also any secret recipe for the dash dye?


            Comment


              Looks great! I would tell them to run plastic sheeting under the complete belly of the car and mask at the skirts and fender wells for the duration. It is crazy how much dust and debris found its way under while it was in the bodyshop and it made me sick to my stomach when I realized how bad it was and that the only want to truly correct it was to take it all out again.

              I paid a company to take care of the dash, Fibrenew. They are a national chain of mobile leather/vinyl repair technicians and there is likely one near you.

              Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

              Comment


                Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                Looks great! I would tell them to run plastic sheeting under the complete belly of the car and mask at the skirts and fender wells for the duration. It is crazy how much dust and debris found its way under while it was in the bodyshop and it made me sick to my stomach when I realized how bad it was and that the only want to truly correct it was to take it all out again.

                I paid a company to take care of the dash, Fibrenew. They are a national chain of mobile leather/vinyl repair technicians and there is likely one near you.
                I literally book mark posts like this for future reference. I've never heard of them but will definitely be checking them out!

                Comment


                  Light burlbs for days.... I bought all new OSRAM Germany nickle based bulbs for the car.



                  New tail lamp boards, populated with new bulbs.



                  Installed



                  Got the rest of the AC lines set in place. Not instaling drier until I can bolt the compressor on as it will just ruin it to be exposed to the elements.



                  Unmolested stereo wiring per request


                  Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Jordan View Post

                    Installed


                    Thanks for posting this pic, I was trying to work out where the hell the jack handle is secured and what the extra hole is for.
                    I see I am missing a tow eye.
                    :(
                    E30 320i vert
                    But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                      Unmolested stereo wiring per request

                      Very clean.. base 4 channel harness setup there. Blue right channels, yellow left. Red stripe front speakers, black stripe rear. White is the wire that enables power to the antenna when the radio is on (and the premium power amp for cars with BMW Sound System). The black angled connector is power to the radio, white connector dimmer/lighting. The black straight 2 wire connector (not in the pic but should be present) was for a ‘dot matrix’ option and is not used.

                      The power antenna is super delicate as you know. I would strongly recommend a switch on the power antenna wiring to disable the antenna when you’re not using the radio itself. I connect it to a fog switch or a four door sedan square window disable switch. The fog switch can go into an empty hvac panel switch slot if you have one, so fully reversible
                      Last edited by bradnic; 03-28-2019, 05:25 PM.
                      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

                      HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

                      88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

                      OEM+ or bust!


                      reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

                      Comment


                        The antenna wire was still braided into the power antenna red/white wires. It is no doubt original, but yes I agree most I have seen are the light gray color.

                        This evening I installed the center controls panel, and finally got around to installing the completely rebuilt CM5908 radio I got from Brad last month. Its certainly the nicest and cleanest example I've seen in one of these cars. He combined the best components he had to make me this unit.




                        If you are wanting to keep the factory radio you would be hard pressed to find better than what he can put together for you.

                        Hers 13 X3 375hp/450tq - His 14 M5 780hp/730tq

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                          If you are wanting to keep the factory radio you would be hard pressed to find better than what he can put together for you.
                          I have the factory unit in mine and want to send it to him, but I dont have the tool to pull the deck and Im trying really hard to not scuff any of the plastic. Is there a tool out there thats easily available to pull the OEM headunits out?

                          That interior looks fantastic though!
                          Simon
                          Current Car:
                          -2003 Mini Cooper R50
                          Previous Car Count : 24 ... and climbing...

                          Make R3V Great Again -2020

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I have the factory unit in mine and want to send it to him, but I dont have the tool to pull the deck and Im trying really hard to not scuff any of the plastic. Is there a tool out there thats easily available to pull the OEM headunits out?

                            That interior looks fantastic though!
                            I am pretty sure the tool is just a really small allen wrench. I have not had a stock radio in my car in 10 years so I could have it mixed up.

                            But there should be two allen bolts on the far side of the face of the head unit under two plastic hinged clips. After I unscrewed mine I just pulled on the clips gently until it pulled out far enough to grab the actual radio.

                            The allen bolts don't come out completely. They just hang on to the radio.
                            How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611


                            Could be better, could be worse.

                            Comment


                              They aren't quite allen bolts, they only have 5 sides, not 6. You can usually get away with a smaller allen though.

                              If you flip up the little covers on each side of the radio, the bolts are there.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                                They aren't quite allen bolts, they only have 5 sides, not 6. You can usually get away with a smaller allen though.

                                If you flip up the little covers on each side of the radio, the bolts are there.


                                Second this[emoji115]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X