No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I continue to wait on the machine shop to finish with the bottom end I'm doing what I can to prepare on my end.

I've always had the shitty little $50 engine stands that are a pain in the ass to turn, particularly in a controlled manner, and even worse to upend after the heavy top side of the engine is pointed down.... I went ahead and treated myself this go round and bought a nice hand crank stand.

I put a big order in with the dealer last week, pictured here is about $1900 of stuff :barf and it isn't even all that much.... New upper and lower engine oil pans, water pump, thermostat housing, thermostat, engine mounts, idle control valve (this one hurt) eleventymillion coolant, ICV and crankcase vent hoses, along with the full array of timing chain guides rails, tensioner, idler and chain itself.... few other odds and ends.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

It seems since the forum refresh and overhaul the traffic in this thread sure has died down....

Today's project was simple enough, take the four seat rails, blow them apart, bead blast them, and then refinish them to look like new. Unfortunately as I came to realize BMW crimps and stakes the rails sections together during manufacturing so taking them completely apart really isn't possible, and would be destructive. Just the same I should be able to attain favorable results simply being thorough with blasting and painting.

I had already bathed them in the ultrasonic cleaner at work a few months back with removed all of the loose paint, fast food crumbs, hair, and other nasty shit that builds up over 25+ years. Here is what was left after coming out:

It took about 45 minutes per rail to thoroughly and completely bead blast them free of the remaining paint and surface rust, 3 hours in total. Only the drivers inner rail had any significant pitting from surface rust, but it cleaned up well enough and it cannot be seen of course once installed as it is up against the transmission tunnel.

After that each one got thoroughly blown out with compressed air, bathed in wax/grease remover, and then blown out one more time before painting. SEM 49143, TRIM BLACK ULTRA SATIN was used here matching the original finish and sheen precisely. Each rail got 3 coats from all angles in all positions, which took about 1.25 cans

and lastly pictured here with the return springs that were yellow zinc chromate plated over a year ago reinstalled.

Last edited by Jordan; 08-18-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I need to do the same thing with my seat rails. They turned out great.
        How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Rails are always one of those subtle things that once done look great. Nice work!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Those look great Jordan. Looking forward to see this move closer to the finish line!
            17 Range Rover Sport SVR
            14 Q5 TDI S-Line
            ...on the hunt for another E30.

Comment

Originally posted by bmoores View Post
              Those look great Jordan. Looking forward to see this move closer to the finish line!
              PM'd BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post

PM'd BTW.
                Are you sure? Because I don't see anything.

Comment

Jordan, sorry. To bmoores. The PM system may not be working mind you, so just let him know the only way I could figure out.

Comment

Yea the forum revision couldn't even get the R3V logo accurate. People probably think they aren't in the right place to begin with. Then they get blinded by the over saturation of white on white on white that is the new layout. That's my guess.

Great work as always!

Comment

Are you keeping the "mess under the intake" intact? Hated replacing all that on one my first 318is, deleted it on the last one. Probably what I hated most about the m42, such a dumb design.
                      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                        Are you keeping the "mess under the intake" intact? Hated replacing all that on one my first 318is, deleted it on the last one. Probably what I hated most about the m42, such a dumb design.
                        I do intend to retain it yes, I've ordered all new everything for it. This car is going to be concours original under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post

Assembling the parking brake hardware

Jordan,

I noticed your installed shoe tension springs wrong, looks like upper is on the bottom and the lower is on top.

BMW went through the trouble designing/manufcturing two different part numbers for this assembly....how critical is it to have this correct? I rwas sent 4 springs for my built but they are all lower ones........debating should I just install it to or to get uppers as well....Your thoughts?

Comment

I noticed that when I looked back at the photos and immediately went back and corrected it at the time of the posting, I doubt it is all that critical in the least but the drag of the one spring against the adjuster ensures it does not rotate on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                              this firewall insulation gets glued in some spots or it just hangs there with clips?

Click image for larger version

Name:	724C203F-86A6-4F05-B612-8AD57AF7B326_zpstvpx3j0m.jpg
Views:	1285
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	9870170

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                                The design is funky, but if you replace all the bits its going to work just fine for another 15 or so years. Its not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

FWIW I deleted all the “unnecessary” hoses on mine but my whole engine is nowhere close to OEM so I didnt care.

Jordan, your attention to detail is fantastic. Its truly inspiring! Those seat rails turned out fantastic. Its the little things...

-Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Working...
                                X