• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh man, this is going to be good.

Sub'd...
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

So you're bringing back your Mtech2 car before the widebody with slightly different paint?

Although its been done before, I was hoping for an M3 resto mod tribute done right with all the bells and whistles but hunting down the parts would be crazy along with the ridiculous cost.

Looking forward to the great meticulous work.
      Last edited by Javier h; 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM.

Comment

The M42 will be cool to see in the car. Interested to see where the build goes!
        -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

I have always thought that a centrifugal supercharger would be right at home on a 42. Can run a front mount intercooler to keep temps nice and low, put it over on your passenger side away from everything else, with thicker head gasket and ARP studs it'd provide a fun cheap power boost to really liven one up
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
            So you're bringing back your Mtech2 car before the widebody with slightly different paint?

Although its been done before, I was hoping for an M3 resto mod tribute done right with all the bells and whistles but hunting down the parts would be crazy along with the ridiculous cost.

Looking forward to the great meticulous work.
            My intent to to make the car as if it were new, as originally factory ordered on the exterior. Deviations as planned are euro bumper trim, headlamps, and some larger basketweaves.

I'd be happy to build a M3 with someone elses money, but they aren't worth that much more to me.

Last night I made a little progress on the car, and again this evening. Getting all of the glass pulled out of it, front door cards, window regulators pulled out of the doors, and gutter trim removed. The bodyshop got slow and they had the hots for my denty e30.

Rolled over to the body shop this morning.

They started by grinding any knicks with surface rust down to bare metal, and any areas that had prior repairs down to bare metal. This area is pretty flat but had some cracking bondo on it. The area will be metal worked proper and corrected with minimal filler, of a much higher quality than whatever was used on this back in the day.

More grindy grindy of chips, scratches and knicks to ensure no garbage gets worked over into the new paintwork.

I pulled all the glass out tonight but didn't take any pictures. Believe it or not I haven't hit 12 hours of my own time into the car yet to get it stripped to its current state. I still need to pull the IHKS box along with the AC lines in the engine bay, all the firewall sound deadening, booster, and pull the ABS pump/brake lines. I hope to have that done this weekend.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Is this car going to get the same treatment as the other one as in new parts all the way around top To bottom inside and out?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

What color are you going to reupholster this one? Standard black? Or tan? It would be cool to see blue or chocolate brown in an alpine, if you were looking for ideas.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I'm thinking black and alcantara, still some time from needing to worry about that...

The bodyshop made some good progress today, and opened a whole 'nother can or worms too.

There was some rust (the only rust on the car) around the sun roof jam/gutter. After poking at it a bit it became apparent it was more than skin deep. Pulled the headliner/foam out of the way to see some pretty wide spread rust on the inside between the roof skin and sunroof cassette. Body guy said it was better to replace the roof than attempt a repair that he all but promised would rust again.

The drivers side, which was the worse of the two sides:

The passenger side, not near as bad:

The underside of the drivers side:

Between the skin and roof structure:

Eleventy billion spot welds to remove:

Peeling the roof skin back after cutting it at the braze lines on the A/C pillars to have a peek under it:

Leaving in a few hours to road trip out to Biloxi MS to pick up a slick top roof to swap onto this car.....

Comment

Wow, slicktop seems like a great solution.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Nice! I was contemplating getting that slicktop from Corey since my 318is had an aftermarket sunroof. I decided to go a different route instead. I'm guessing you're going to replace just the skin and not cut at the pillars?

I'm excited to see how this car turns out!
                      '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
                      '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Yeah, the idea is to remove the existing sunroof roof skin, the support structure for the sunroof, and then lay the slick top skin over the top, brazing and spot welding it in place just like the factory did during production of the chassis when new.

The physical structural portion of the roof and pillars will remain untouched.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                          Leaving in a few hours to road trip out to Biloxi MS to pick up a slick top roof to swap onto this car.....

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Well holy crap on a cracker. My bud Alex and I drove from Houston TX to Biloxi MS this morning, loaded up the slick top from Corey, and hammered down back to Houston. 875mi round trip, just under 12 hours.

We left at 3am, and arrived back in Houston about 3pm. Two fuelings and a few pisser breaks and it was a wrap.

Many thanks for Corey for being flexible and letting me zip over there on short notice to retrieve the top. It looks great, and will be just what the doctor ordered to get the E30 completely rust free.

Great headliner to use for an Alcantara template included:

Headliner carefully removed:

annnnd shiney side up:

Comment

Nice!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Slick !
                                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X