Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Question - I know you just fitted tons of of new gaskets/pieces to the body (i.e the trunk breather vents / gaskets). Did you ever use silicone/some other form of sealant when installing them?

Reason why I ask: I just installed some (new, genuine BMW) and found they’re not actually sealing.
    No sealant should be required, the gaskets are all intended to go on as provided. Which ones are you having issues with?

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
    Can I pay you to bend me some lines:) I need two from the ABS unit to the master
    I mean I suppose I could, but I could not ensure they would fit right on your particular car. Its not hard to do yourself and the line is cheap so failed attempts when you are learning isn't costly.

Havent really made much progress as of late as I'm waiting on the headliner to arrive from catuned. I had a local guy that was supposed to make it for me but needless to say he screwed it up so bad, I asked him to fix it, and he stopped taking my calls lol.

Clamps that hold the AC lines installed:

and a couple as she sits this morning, now with the rear bumper installed. I still need to mess with the bumper fitment but I want a second set of hands to assist with that.

Photobucket is being retarded and posting megasized, hold up...
    Last edited by Jordan; 04-13-2019, 06:22 PM.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

i'm back wednesday. shoot me a text if it can wait until then.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I’m actually at IAH right now in flight delay hell on account of the weather. Headed to Knoxville on business. Won’t be back till Wednesday either. Planning on visiting Robert over at Kadunza while I’m in town.

Comment

noice. havent heard from him around here in a long time. good dude. he kicked cancer's ass!

too bad you don't drink much. i would be headed for the bourbon tours if i were there.(or at least the whiskey bars in downtown.)
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Are you going to run a new crank damper on the engine? I just got to enjoy this a couple of days ago (likely explains the intermittent poor idle and occasional misfire events over the last year). It's been increasingly happening to a number of M42 folks since these are all nearly 30 years old and something that is rarely preemptively-replaced since it is $$$.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
              Are you going to run a new crank damper on the engine? I just got to enjoy this a couple of days ago (likely explains the intermittent poor idle and occasional misfire events over the last year). It's been increasingly happening to a number of M42 folks since these are all nearly 30 years old and something that is rarely preemptively-replaced since it is $$$.

bmwman91, How much did this run you?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

About $480 for a new one. It seems to ave a 1-2 week lead time from Germany, at least through BMW of Silver Spring.

As far as I can tell, failure probably happens slowly over a matter of years as the failure spreads around the rubber's circumference. It leads to random poor idle and occasional misfires as the ECU loses synchronization with the crank position. Eventually, it will fail seriously enough that the ECU won't be able to run the engine at all. I have a thread documenting this in the M42 section right now.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Is that specific to just M42s or would that be all of the e30s being susceptible to that problem?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                    Is that specific to just M42s or would that be all of the e30s being susceptible to that problem?
                    Only m42. BMW decided to add rubber, probably because of 4 cylinder roughness. Mine had the same thing happen 3-4 years ago. I found a used one as new one is expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

M20's can still have problems with the toothed wheel.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
                        Only m42. BMW decided to add rubber, probably because of 4 cylinder roughness. Mine had the same thing happen 3-4 years ago. I found a used one as new one is expensive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Inline 4's are unbalanced.

Inline 6's are pretty much balanced by nature.
                        I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

What if someone made a V9? that would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Melon View Post

In low RPMs yes, in high RPMs the long crank of the I6 gets nasty for torsional vibration. This is why the non-M I6 engines are designed for lower RPM. Performance I6 has a different damper system (S38, S50 [real version], S54) where there is a better attachment to the crank snout. Even then race teams used ducting to the damper to keep it cool and replaced them often.

Just a classifier on the statement because people believe this and wonder why I6 engines beat themselves to death if used a lot a higher RPM.

Some damper info for those curious: https://harmonicdampers.com/index.ph...e3bkqcfpt2epc4
                            Last edited by wazzu70; 04-10-2019, 05:48 PM.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Sorry it appears Photobucket has changed the way it scales images so the larger resized images are no longer possible. Posting them the way I did previously leads to the raw super size image being dumped into the post which breaks the forum formatting...

Old essentially dead Li-ion SI board batteries, only reading 0.6v each... Ordered new ones and soldered them in place of the old. FDK with the welded on tabs are a direct replacement.

Last edited by Jordan; 04-13-2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Please just post large images if possible. Who cares about forum format...we want to see all those little details. Very helpful if one wants to see what screw, clamp, nut goes where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X