No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front end completely in primer now with guide coat, almost there.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

This is the tape I’m referring to. Anyone knows how to duplicate it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Piece of tesa tape prior to painting? its a water seal, and completely covered by the hood gasket regardless. Mine is sealed up with seam sealer.

Comment

I've always read that doors and other removable panels should be painted on the car as it changes the way the paint looks. The jams of the doors/underside of the hood, trunk, etc are sprayed off the car, then things are assembled and sprayed as a complete assembly. I don't know anything about paint, just what I've read, but was surprised to read how you are having it done.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
            I've always read that doors and other removable panels should be painted on the car as it changes the way the paint looks. The jams of the doors/underside of the hood, trunk, etc are sprayed off the car, then things are assembled and sprayed as a complete assembly. I don't know anything about paint, just what I've read, but was surprised to read how you are having it done.
            With metallics and other non solid colors yes the direction of application and even the gun pressure can change the overall color. When painting parts off of the vehicle it is ideal to hang them in a manner that parallels the installed location of the car and the angle of spray you would normally be limited to.

On solid colors it really is a non issue.

Comment

That's one of the reasons I went with a solid color for my first time painting a car.
              I do things.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post

I just find the video how BMW paint their cars fascinating. Just a good example why a replacement panel will never be as good as it came from the factory, unless the whole car can be dipped for e-coating after all welds are done etc
                Watch the highly advanced paint process of the BMW 650i and 640i Paint Process at BMW assembly plant. Such a precise process that manual labor cannot replica...

Jordan,
                did you just buy this for your next project? :D Was just sold in Dallas area for $30k

Last edited by zaq123; 01-21-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Subd

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                    Jordan,
                    did you just buy this for your next project? :D Was just sold in Dallas area for $30k
                    No this was sold to another R3V member who is very active here - can remember his name right now though.
                    Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

I didn't buy that new E30 M3 Chassis, but I was present with my friend Jon when the money changed hands and helped load it on the trailer and drive it home to Houston, unload it in his garage. I'll be building it with him in due time, but that is for another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                        I didn't buy that new E30 M3 Chassis, but I was present with my friend Jon when the money changed hands and helped load it on the trailer and drive it home to Houston, unload it in his garage. I'll be building it with him in due time, but that is for another thread.
                        Did you pick it up in Allen? If so, that's where I live. I wanted to come and just see it.
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Yessir, we picked it up in Allen. We took plenty of pictures and Jon and I posted a bunch on R3V FB.

Comment

Awesome! I'll check out the facebook page for the pics.
                            1990 325is
                            m52b28
                            3.73lsd
                            g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

With the weather being unusually cold this week the paint was put on hold, he wants perfectly ideal conditions to paint the car to ensure the best possible outcome.

More parts have arrived, nothing really interesting though outside of these new old stock ECE Hella's.

The plan is for the car to get painted next week, and *potentially* come home next weekend.

Comment

Weather was pretty nice today, in the mid 60's so I was able to get a little painting of my own done that I have been putting off waiting for winters cold to subside.

The brake booster will be needed to set the system in place so I can create all new lines in the original style so it needed to be prepped and refinished.

Here it is, from my donor car with all its dust, dirt and cosmoline inplace.

There would be no way to really save this sticker, no worries I had Pukar Designs make me a new one as part of the sticker package I ordered.

Just above the vacuum port there was a moderate dent that had to be sorted out. I used a bent stainless rod with a round end to reach in through the master cylinder hole and massage the dent most of the way out (like PDR) and then use a little metal glaze to skim the area. Once that was done and dried it was sanded, blocked, filler primed and blocked again.

Setup for painting outside in the sun, cleaned and degreased.

Brand used components ready to go on.

Assembled, with Pukar's replicated sticker.

Comment

Working...
                                X