Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Weißer Regen: 91 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A small update of sorts...

    I am expecting the machine shop to call any day now to let me know the custom pistons finally came in and I can come pick everything up. I'm very excited to start building this engine, moreover to get it into the damn car and off the shelving in the garage. I'd really like to be able to park the M5 in the garage some day lol



    I've been expecting my interior to come in from Greer @ Stitchedwheels for some time now, as he was paid 50% a few days shy of 4 months ago....but the rug finally got pulled out from under me 5 days ago when I got an email from his wife letting me know they were having a difficult time sourcing the materials and that Greer had some health issues so they were terminating the order and processing a refund.... le'sigh. I hate relying on other people, it seems they never had the dedication to a commitment that you do...



    I've reached out to John Christy @ Ninestiched to hopefully get that ball back on track, I've sent him some material samples to match and should know more soon.



    I really don't have much I can do in the meanwhile but I have been meaning to take care of the rotten coolant nipple on the cylinder head for some time now. M42's rear nipple is thin sheet metal pressed into the cylinder head and they always seem to be badly corroded and perforated. Mine was no different so I cut it out when I was reconditioning the head. Well I found the perfect little brass nipple to replace it, so I threaded the hole 1/2" NPT which it is already bored the perfect size for... and installed that sucker with some high temp 2 part epoxy.



    Last edited by Jordan; 10-13-2019, 11:36 AM.

    E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

    Comment


      That blows, it really sucks that you waited for a long time only to be told they were issuing a refund. Hopefully ninestitched can get you what you need in a timely fashion.

      Comment


        Stitched did the seats for my M3, and the process was.... a long one. They told me my seats were the last order they were taking on. Seems like they took a few more orders after that and they didn’t get fulfilled.

        If I don’t have the capacity to take a project on, I let someone know and schedule it out if folks are willing to wait. I don’t see the point of overbooking work when you know subconsciously (or consciously) that you’re not going to meet the deadline, or finish the project at all.

        I just had custom pistons made by JE and I was shocked at how fast they arrived (two weeks from order date).

        I hope you have better luck soon!
        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

        Comment


          Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          Stitched did the seats for my M3, and the process was.... a long one. They told me my seats were the last order they were taking on. Seems like they took a few more orders after that and they didn’t get fulfilled.

          I just had custom pistons made by JE and I was shocked at how fast they arrived (two weeks from order date).

          I hope you have better luck soon!
          As far as I know Jon and I were the last two orders Greer took on, and both of us have a long business history and offered to pay appropriately to proposition him. The interior Greer did for Jon's M3 truely is his Magnum Opus. I'd hoped to get my interior out of him before he faded quietly in the night, but nope. fuck me I guess. The list of people let down by Greer is undoubtedly long, I'm no different there.

          Refund is still showing pending....

          E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

          Comment


            Yeah it took him double the time he said it would to simply recover my mtech 1 wheel. That sucks though his work was truly next level
            1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
            COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

            Comment


              Jordan, I'm taking apart my heater box to clean it up before it goes back in the car. Where did you source the foam for the 4" metal piece between the two stepper motors on the top of the IHKS? How about the foam on the main heater flap inside the box, with the plastic V on it? Thanks!

              Click image for larger version

Name:	620EC43F-F485-40E9-98BE-631284FF3168_zpsbmxdxksi.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	9878510


              it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

              Comment


                I cut sections of a extra hood liner that I had to make those for the radio support bracket and the blend door.

                E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

                Comment


                  Hey look, and update on this car!

                  Sorry I've been busy fixing up the E30 318i Sedan for the kid that is about to start driving and haven't had much time to make progress on this one, what little there is left for me anyway.

                  Good new is that the custom pistons from JE finally showed up, bad news is after the stroker crank has been sitting around for about a year my machinist finally checked it and noticed the stroke was off.

                  I has ordered a M47d20 crankshaft from a seller on ebay out of Bilston UK (http://www.cylinderheadservices.co.uk/index.php)

                  I reached out to them to express disappointment in the newly discovered issue and assuming it was an honest mistake went over the details with them. We exchanged several emails back and forth but they terminated communications when they realized I was wanting a refund as the crank they shipped me is useless and not what I ordered. Unfortunately I'm well outside ebay/paypal claim windows so I guess I'm just fucked. I've messaged them daily for the last 10 days with no return correspondence so it is clear their intention is to ignore this transgression.

                  M47d20 has a 88mm stroke. The crank they sent me has a 82.8mm stroke, but is otherwise identical in appearance. The only such crank that is the same in appearance with a 82.8mm stroke is the M41d17

                  I've ordered another crankshaft from a seller I hope is more reputable but its another several week delay.



                  This weekend I spent some time cleaning the webbing of all the seatbelts, and restoring the once red buttons on the rear seatbelt buckles. As we all know whatever plastic these buttons are made of turns chalky pink with years of UV exposure. I found a neat trick to turn them their original color again without the need for abrasion or paint etc.

                  Before and after, you be the judge.



                  Next task was installing the new washer fluid reservoir, as Jon just couldn't stand the faded one and I'd finally broken down and bought a 325i reservoir. I really wanted to find an original new 318i reservior but I've had no luck. The 318i does not have the cutout for the level sensor as it has no check control panel! I used the factory level sensor grommet filled with 3M Windoweld as a bung plug.






                  Interior is still on hold awaiting samples of the correct diagonal cloth to arrive and be approved.

                  E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

                  Comment


                    what did you use on the seatbelts receptacles?...

                    that sucks hardcore on the crank, is that of any use to anyone who has a M42 and wants to stroke it, but not as much as yours? (no idea what the stock B&S is for the M42)
                    Simon
                    Current Car:
                    -2017 i3 REx, 21st Century E30
                    -1975 Alfa Romeo Giulia Nuova Super 1300, the never-ending name & project



                    Make R3V Great Again -2020

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      what did you use on the seatbelts receptacles?...

                      that sucks hardcore on the crank, is that of any use to anyone who has a M42 and wants to stroke it, but not as much as yours? (no idea what the stock B&S is for the M42)
                      I'm going to guess heat, I've heard if you use a heatgun with enough heat you can bring the colour back.
                      IG: https://www.instagram.com/josh.stacey/
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133952286@N03/

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by Jordan View Post
                        Hey look, and update on this car! Sorry I've been busy fixing up the E30 318i Sedan for the kid that is about to start driving and haven't had much time to make progress on this one, what little there is left for me anyway. Good new is that the custom pistons from JE finally showed up, bad news is after the stroker crank has been sitting around for about a year my machinist finally checked it and noticed the stroke was off. I has ordered a M47d20 crankshaft from a seller on ebay out of Bilston UK (http://www.cylinderheadservices.co.uk/index.php) I reached out to them to express disappointment in the newly discovered issue and assuming it was an honest mistake went over the details with them. We exchanged several emails back and forth but they terminated communications when they realized I was wanting a refund as the crank they shipped me is useless and not what I ordered. Unfortunately I'm well outside ebay/paypal claim windows so I guess I'm just fucked. I've messaged them daily for the last 10 days with no return correspondence so it is clear their intention is to ignore this transgression. M47d20 has a 88mm stroke. The crank they sent me has a 82.8mm stroke, but is otherwise identical in appearance. The only such crank that is the same in appearance with a 82.8mm stroke is the M41d17 I've ordered another crankshaft from a seller I hope is more reputable but its another several week delay. This weekend I spent some time cleaning the webbing of all the seatbelts, and restoring the once red buttons on the rear seatbelt buckles. As we all know whatever plastic these buttons are made of turns chalky pink with years of UV exposure. I found a neat trick to turn them their original color again without the need for abrasion or paint etc. Before and after, you be the judge. Next task was installing the new washer fluid reservoir, as Jon just couldn't stand the faded one and I'd finally broken down and bought a 325i reservoir. I really wanted to find an original new 318i reservior but I've had no luck. The 318i does not have the cutout for the level sensor as it has no check control panel! I used the factory level sensor grommet filled with 3M Windoweld as a bung plug. Interior is still on hold awaiting samples of the correct diagonal cloth to arrive and be approved.
                        Much appreciated!! Jonny Like Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                        Current Cars:
                        2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                        2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                        2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                        1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                        1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                        1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                        1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

                        On Order:
                        2018 DODGE DEMON

                        Searching for:
                        CLEAN E30'S
                        S54 DRIVETRAIN
                        E30 DASH
                        E30 PARTS

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by jsta1109 View Post
                          I'm going to guess heat, I've heard if you use a heatgun with enough heat you can bring the colour back.
                          Yup, it needs to get hoooootttt but thats the ticket. You must remove the black case as it will melt and distort before the red shift occurs.


                          E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

                          Comment


                            How did you heat them up? Heat gun or oven?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                              How did you heat them up? Heat gun or oven?
                              https://youtu.be/ke57Vxj_SeM?t=209

                              Comment


                                I'm pleased to finally (mostly) have my engine home from the machine shop today. When I got the message this morning that everything would be done and ready to pickup I ran on over and picked it all up. I'm still waiting on the pistons from JE which should come in next week, but having the block and crank means I can get a lot done in the mean while.

                                Alone with boring the block to 87mm I had the machine shop blast the block bare and then thoroughly wash the block in their industrial washing machine to remove any latent grit. The final result is super clean and required only minimal prep once hung on the stand to paint.




                                First task was to carefully mask the block for painting. I also didn't particularly want gloss black paint on my nice epoxy floor, much less on the E30 sitting several feet away... so $5 worth of plastic sheeting later I had myself a makeshift paint booth. It worked wonderfully to keep the paint off everything else, and doubled as a means by which to concentrate and inhale the aerosol propellant heh....






                                An hour later the paint was sufficiently dried so I pulled down the plastic sheeting and demasked the block.




                                Lets drive new freeze plugs into the block, coated with a thin later of hylomar.



                                Oil squirter jets and main bearing shells dropped into place.



                                M47d20 88mm stroke crankshaft sitting in its new home.



                                Torquing the main caps down



                                Another view of the oil squirters



                                The first vapor honed aluminum parts installed, both engine mount arms, and the plastic coolant pipe




                                More to come later on this weekend.....

                                E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                                https://mtechniqueauto.com/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X