No announcement yet.

1990 - 24v swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was 60 deg today which is warm for Southern IN this time of year....perfect day to clean up the engine bay.

Before:

After:

Not a huge difference but noticeable. I used "LA's Totally Awesome" which is a damn good degreaser that you can get for $1/ 32oz bottle at the Dollar Tree. Works really well, doesn't smell bad like Gunk and is cheap.

All of this cleaning has revealed more opportunities to clean up some light rust where body panels have been replaced. The lower radiator support was replaced and the spot welded areas are rusting some under the seam sealer...it will be a decent job to fix.
    Last edited by mjweimer; 12-04-2021, 03:15 PM.

Comment

I think that whole job came out great. I love the notch and the reinforcement. When I did my swap, we heated and hammered haha
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        I think that whole job came out great. I love the notch and the reinforcement. When I did my swap, we heated and hammered haha
        I debated heating and hammering but I had to break out the welder anyway so why not...

MJ

Comment

I like this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Looking great! I completely forgot to notch my subframe before I reinforced and powdercoated it haha. I'll cross that bridge later.

What are you doing for AC lines? Are you running the 24v compressor?
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Looking great! I completely forgot to notch my subframe before I reinforced and powdercoated it haha. I'll cross that bridge later.

What are you doing for AC lines? Are you running the 24v compressor?
              I will be running the compressor from the 24v and mixing/matching up the lines to fit. I kept the Z3 compressor and lines so it should be a matter of using those end fittings on the E30 hoses but that is TBD. I won't know for sure until it is all mounted in the car.

The subframe notch is not needed if you modify both downpipes to fit. I wanted to try something different and only wanted to modify the outermost downpipe (cyl 4-6) to fit around the control arm lollipop. It seemed easier that way but now I'm not sure....

Seems it is common knowledge that the OBD2 downpipes are a larger diameter than OBD1. This is due to the pipes using double-walled construction with the outer layer acting as a heat shield.

Yesterday I decided to remove the outer layer of stainless heatshielding from the cyl 4-6 downpipe and found out that the inner pipe is loose fit into the rear Y-connector. (Z3's are 2 into 1 systems) It seems the outer material secures the pipe in place and keeps the system "air" tight. Very strange. I had not heard of this prior and it adds a bit of a challenge to the pipe modifications for clearance at the CA. I know....worthless without pics. I will post some up in the next couple of days.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                I will be running the compressor from the 24v and mixing/matching up the lines to fit. I kept the Z3 compressor and lines so it should be a matter of using those end fittings on the E30 hoses but that is TBD. I won't know for sure until it is all mounted in the car.

The subframe notch is not needed if you modify both downpipes to fit. I wanted to try something different and only wanted to modify the outermost downpipe (cyl 4-6) to fit around the control arm lollipop. It seemed easier that way but now I'm not sure....

Seems it is common knowledge that the OBD2 downpipes are a larger diameter than OBD1. This is due to the pipes using double-walled construction with the outer layer acting as a heat shield.

Yesterday I decided to remove the outer layer of stainless heatshielding from the cyl 4-6 downpipe and found out that the inner pipe is loose fit into the rear Y-connector. (Z3's are 2 into 1 systems) It seems the outer material secures the pipe in place and keeps the system "air" tight. Very strange. I had not heard of this prior and it adds a bit of a challenge to the pipe modifications for clearance at the CA. I know....worthless without pics. I will post some up in the next couple of days.

MJ

M60 manifolds (obd1 4-2-1 from 93 and up ) are the same , double wall and the inner pipe is a loose fit if you remove the outer.
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                  M60 manifolds (obd1 4-2-1 from 93 and up ) are the same , double wall and the inner pipe is a loose fit if you remove the outer.
                  Very interesting, thanks for sharing that info. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about.

The green circle area on the bottom pipe is a slip fit into the green circled area on the Y-fitting on the larger pipe. As you can see the inner pipe diameter is much smaller without the outer layer and gains some valuable space for the control arm lollipop.

Unfortunately I will need to further modify the pipe to fully clear the lollipop and of course weld up the slip fit area once modified....don't currently have the capability to weld stainless.

MJ

Comment

Hope everyone has had a good holiday so far. I have been trying to work in little projects in between family events.

These pictures show some of the areas that were repaired on the front end as a result of the wreck. They did a nice job of seam sealing the areas but it seems that no primer was used and surface rust is now showing. This and a few other repaired areas will need addressed by going down to bare metal and starting over. Not difficult but time consuming and no time like the present since everything is apart.

Was cleaning up a bunch of misc parts and found that the car had a short shifter installed at some point. I believe that it is an Autosolutions kit from the early 90's. These were very popular and replaced the lower portion of the lever with a custom piece with bronze bushings and a custom linkage to clear the guibo. This explains why the shifting felt really nice...

Also got the Z3 rack cleaned up and ready for install.

Last edited by mjweimer; 12-04-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Test fit the Z3 rack today and came upon a strange find.

Can anyone spot what is not quite right in this picture?

Last edited by mjweimer; 12-04-2021, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I recently did a Z3 rack swap, but I have a pre-airbag car... my only guess is something's going on with the angle of the column joints.
                        Paynemw
                        1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                        the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                        1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                          I recently did a Z3 rack swap, but I have a pre-airbag car... my only guess is something's going on with the angle of the column joints.
                          You are close and thanks for the reply - almost forgot I posted this.

This car continues to suprise with randomness. Apparently the car was converted to a non-airbag column during the big repair. No biggie but check out the steering linkage - it does not look like anything I have seen on any of my prior E30's.....maybe a Euro part? Google shows me a Euro steering linkage that looks longer so I'm not sure and I don't have a pic from my '86.

The good news is that simply loosening the upper linkage bolt and sliding it up the shaft allows the the Z3 rack to fit with no mods to the linkage or firewall - just subframe spacers and good to go. I'm never this lucky but I'll take it.

Next up is the iX booster coversion.

MJ

Comment

that makes sense. The way my linkage would collapse under load (lots of it), where as yours wouldn't. I can see that as being a euro linkage... they don't typically have the design requirements the US has. You did subframe spacers? Is that common for a 24V swap?
                            Paynemw
                            1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                            the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                            1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                              No biggie but check out the steering linkage - it does not look like anything I have seen on any of my prior E30's.....maybe a Euro part? Google shows me a Euro steering linkage that looks longer so I'm not sure and I don't have a pic from my '86.
                              That looks normal linkage for me :D Only upside down, but it works same in both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by paynemw View Post
                                that makes sense. The way my linkage would collapse under load (lots of it), where as yours wouldn't. I can see that as being a euro linkage... they don't typically have the design requirements the US has. You did subframe spacers? Is that common for a 24V swap?
                                Probably should have said that more clearly - I was referring to the aluminum spacers that make up the difference in rack thickness (E36 vs. E30) at the rack mounting tabs on the subframe. No spacers needed for the actual subframe to the chassis.

These:

Our BMW E30 steering rack & pinion swap kit lets you install an E36/E46/Z3 steering rack into your BMW e30 for quicker steering. Made in USA.

Originally posted by pazi88 View Post
                                That looks normal linkage for me :D Only upside down, but it works same in both ways.
                                Interesting. Thanks for confirming it is the Euro part. I guess it could have been installed upside down - I just reinstalled in the same orientation it was with the E30 rack. Just for fun I will flip it around and see if it fits better. You are right that it works either way.

MJ

Comment

Working...
                                X