No announcement yet.

1990 - 24v swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first off, that Dbilias airbox is the business. very cool.

second, i love that you use OE fuel hose and hose clamps. a man after my own heart. seriously.

lovely work. glad to see you are able to go rip it around, and even better, that it fired up on the first try. that's always such a nice feeling. great job.

A
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

More driving has revealed some interesting issues. Check engine light illuminated after a long drive...INPA reveals crank position sensor fault....no biggie - that can be investigated.

Then it starts to get weird, the laptop was plugged in for a while with the key "on" as I was looking at the Z3 ETM to confirm some wiring...and randomly the fuel pump cycles. Maybe half a second...then stops. It repeats a couple of times randomly as I am double-checking some of the electrical connections under the intake but now I can hear the injectors clicking too - WTF?

Long story short, after quite a bit of troubleshooting I can get the problem to repeat by putting pressure on the outer casing of the CAM position sensor where the wire enters the plastic over-mold. Fuel pump cycles, injectors fire and apparently so do the coils when pressure is applied (it eventually lit off one cylinder). Clearly there is either a short or open in the wiring that makes the DME think the engine is turning over. This all makes sense since the engine will run off of the Cam sensor signal if it does not see a crank sensor signal and vice-versa - a limp mode.

More digging found an old post by Dave Markert (328ijunkie) where he explains this as a common failure that can eventually get bad enough to damage the DME's 5V signal generator circuitry. Hopefully that is not the case here....

I still need to check for signal voltage at the respective sensor plugs and DME pins to make sure there is nothing going on in the harness or with the DME itself.

Oh and FYI to all M52/S52 OBD2 folks - there was a recall in 1999 to replace the crank position sensor with the updated version as used on the E46, etc. It requires an adapter harness that grabs power from the injector rail (vanos solenoid) and sends +12V to the sensor rather than the original +5V. See service bulletin SIB 12 10 99. The ETM I have does not reflect this update.

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
      first off, that Dbilias airbox is the business. very cool.

second, i love that you use OE fuel hose and hose clamps. a man after my own heart. seriously.

lovely work. glad to see you are able to go rip it around, and even better, that it fired up on the first try. that's always such a nice feeling. great job.

A

Appreciate the kind words, it has been a fun project. I have a few more ideas to make this build a little different than others.

MJ

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen an M52/S52 without that recall performed.
        Hopefully a new cam sensor fixes that issue. Mine had the typical wire rot under the connector boot and threw some vanos codes.

Agree that dbilas intake looks wicked.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          I don't think I've ever seen an M52/S52 without that recall performed.
          Hopefully a new cam sensor fixes that issue. Mine had the typical wire rot under the connector boot and threw some vanos codes.

Agree that dbilas intake looks wicked.
          This is my first M/S52 so I was not familiar with the recall, the part # supercession on RealOEM clued me in to the change. Cam sensor is on the way so I should be able to get some results this weekend.

The intake is a really nice option, the aluminum housing is a bit heavy but it allows for many mounting options.

MJ

Comment

This thread is long overdue for an update....much has been done over the past year and I have a ton of pictures to sort through. In the meantime, this is where we are today:

EDIT: pictures moved to post #144 so they fit into the timeline.

Still to do: address the oil leak at the temp sender in the filter housing, minor repair to the front floor pan and source an E36 m5x/s5x coupe/sedan AC bracket and compressor to get the AC hooked up (unfortunately, the Z3 parts interfere with the lower radiator hose).

I'll start sorting through the pictures. Cheers!
            Last edited by mjweimer; 12-26-2021, 05:19 AM.

Comment

So good! Can’t wait for tandem burnouts.

also......
              2mAn COTM cough cough
              1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
              1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                So good! Can’t wait for tandem burnouts.

also......
                2mAn COTM cough cough
                I dont see any pics!...

Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I dont see any pics!...
                  Sadly Flickr account issues broke all of the links. I could go through and add some of the pics back to my album library but I have so many pics it would take a long time to sort...it's kind of a bummer really.

Comment

EDIT Update: All 201 pictures are now linked back into each post properly.

Will continue to update the thread as time allows.
                    Last edited by mjweimer; 12-06-2021, 02:26 PM. Reason: All pictures fixed

Comment

Beautiful.

Comment

A thing of beauty. Fantastic work, Mr. Matt!
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Looking good! What part of Indiana are you in?

Cherry interior?

It looks like your previous photos went missing.
                          Last edited by moatilliatta; 12-03-2021, 01:55 PM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                            A thing of beauty. Fantastic work, Mr. Matt!
                            Always appreciate the kind words.

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                            Looking good! What part of Indiana are you in?

Cherry interior?

It looks like your previous photos went missing.

I'm about halfway between Indy and the 'Ville. The interior is the original Cardinal red leather...for some reason it looks really red in those pics.

Yeah, a snafu with Flickr lost all the pics that were linked in the thread. It will take some time to get that sorted.

Comment

stupendously gorgeous.

what is the product you used for under hood insulation ?

edit : white is one of my favorite colors on an e30. it's one of the few cars that can wear it well.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                                stupendously gorgeous.

what is the product you used for under hood insulation ?

edit : white is one of my favorite colors on an e30. it's one of the few cars that can wear it well.

Appreciate the kind words.

The under hood insulation is the OE pieces from the '90-'91 318i/iS - part number 51 48 1 925 437

Comment

Working...
                                X