No announcement yet.

The Blunderwagon - 89 325iX touring 3.1L stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ It fits reasonably well into, uh, where the cat would normally go. the IE long tube collectors are lower than it.

Managed to knock out some motor diagnostics in the last few days. Overall, a lot of indicators are pointing to it desperately needing a proper tune to continue diagnosing. I hope the rings aren't fucked, and I hope I didn't get bent over on a theoretically nicely-build bimmerheads motor. (I did buy it briefly-used)

- I adjusted the valves in hopes of making the motor less clattery. Even though a lot of the valves were very out of spec, putting them right sadly did not improve the racket significantly.

- I installed a catch can in an effort to understand why the motor is burning oil. If it's aerating the oil in the pan, a lot of it will come out in crankcase gases and should be measurable in the catch can. If not, ????

- I did a comp test and came up with consistent numbers, roughly 150-155, which is in line with the expected piston compression. Did not do a wet test, aiming to get a leakdown together this coming weekend.

- I did a vacuum test and it ended up at around ~12-14 at idle, which is low, and probably related to the motor's shitty, stumbly idle. Unclear if it's a cause or effect, though. Going to smoke test this coming weekend to rule out intake leaks.

- After a lot of whining and resistance on my part, Julien convinced me that it would ride better with proper front springs, so we installed OE IX springs I've been stashing and replaced both front struts at the same time with relatively fresh Bilstein HDs. The struts that came out (that the seller of the car claimed were replaced in 2014) were Bilsteins that said MADE IN WESTERN GERMANY on them, so, par for the course.

new ride height is appropriately 4x4 -

I've got some new dampers and springs for the rear that need to go on, as it's pretty saggy. Soon.
    cars beep boop

Comment

also if anyone is out here reading this and has a DS rear bumper and some bumper shocks, I will trade you straight across for the entire tow hitch setup. Please. I hate it.
      cars beep boop

Comment

The intricacies of the IX. I am pretty positive my struts and springs are Western Germany.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

the crazy thing is someone bought and installed aftermarket struts into this 1989 model year car, before october 1990!

(and also that they've actually retained some life for 29 years)
          cars beep boop

Comment

I didn't know Bilstein also made struts for the iX.. could you take a picture of them? Or do they look like the OEM ones?
            1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
            1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
              I didn't know Bilstein also made struts for the iX.. could you take a picture of them? Or do they look like the OEM ones?
              Mine are Bilstein struts from Western Germany. I can take a picture later tonight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

What's the latest blunder? You've got half dozens of fans to please out here.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadMan View Post
                  What's the latest blunder? You've got half dozens of fans to please out here.
                  Leak from the *B* tube
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                    Leak from the *B* tube
                    I think I have a leak in the same place. Does it also cause you idle to be weird?

Comment

yup

that might be the vacuum leaks or the tune, though.

also hello

cars beep boop

Comment

Any news on this one?
                        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                          I am pretty positive my struts and springs are Western Germany.
                          haha. Are we back in 1980s? "mr gorbachev tear down this wall"

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post

haha. Are we back in 1980s? "mr gorbachev tear down this wall"
                            I'll have to throw up pictures, but most certainly it's from West Germany. Is that the good half?

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post

hello
                              hi
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

update: dailying, now with Konis and H&R OE Sports (with some extra spring pad help in the back). And borrowing some Borbets for true 90s style.

cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X