Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good news! Trans is out.

TC came out as well.

It was significantly easier to get the TC out than I thought it would be. This was mostly because it was in there finger-tight, because the previous person who used tools on this car didn't know you're supposed to crank stuff down, I guess.

The other fun bit discovered during this is that the transmission was bone dry. Literally one drop of oil came out the drain plug. No wonder it sounds like a bucket of bolts when you spin it. I can't believe I almost flew to Arkansas to drive this pile back.

Some other assorted carnage -

I don't even know how you get rust to do this. This was apparently a brand new factory flywheel, which was a mildly pleasant surprise and a rarity in this project so far. I've gotten most of the rust off with some WD40 and some elbow grease.

Clutch hard line that appears to have been made by someone with MS, using their teeth.

World's rustiest muffler heatshield, along with the first major rust hole I've managed to uncover. It's in a relatively straightforward place to patch, at least, but it's far from the last one I'll find.

Finally, the piece du resistance - my poor, mangled, abused shifter hole. I wish I knew the thought process of the person who did this, but I'm slightly afraid.

If it's not clear from the image, the hole has random bits cut out of it. The rear shifter mount is heavily "modified" to have two bolts hold it to a random place on the bottom of the trans tunnel. The bracketry normally there to receive the end of the shift platform is nowhere to be found. Sigh.

Pile of transmission stuff is growing. It's almost all ready to go in once I deal with the stupid hole.

Goodies include
    - 2-year-old DOT-R replacement transmission
    - z3 shifter
    - new TOB
    - new pilot bearing
    - SS clutch line
    - new slave cylinder
    - new TC mount bushing

bonus -

iX Tourings got CV rear driveshafts. Mine came out without too much difficulty, but it has a fully torn boot. I've not been able to locate a replacement, and this driveshaft will likely get changed out for a 4-bolt unit when I upgrade to less-destroyed diffs, but that is a project for another day.

cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
      As far as I know it's ix specific. especially the long aluminium heatshield that sits just after the T-case, you might be able to fit the regular triangular heatshield that connects to it.

They are still available at BMW though, I'm also getting a new triangular one since mine is rusted pretty bad, I already replaced a section of it by welding some new metal in but it is already rusting again..
      Thank you! I've found a used set on ebay, of all places.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        No wonder it sounds like a bucket of bolts when you spin it.

Clutch hard line that appears to have been made by someone with MS, using their teeth.
        Lol, this is too funny.

Great news on the heatshieds! Have you tested the viscous coupling when the transfer case was still in the car? Is it still good?

How hard is it to remove the transmission on an ix? My throwout bearing is rattling and when I press the clutch quickly when I'm driving slow in first or second gear, it makes a clunk kinda noise.. Very strange.
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Yup, car passed the jack test with flying colors, somehow.

It wasn’t bad to get the trans out, but I have a lift and a trans jack and a fuck load of extensions. You’ll want to check how torn up your trans-block e torx bolt heads are and replace them if they’re damaged. E-torx does not tolerate damage too well, and bigger sockets just chew up the heads further.

I forgot the best part - once I had the trans off and went to pull the pressure plate, 3/6 bolts were stripped. Pounding in a old torx socket did the trick to get them out, but, what a goddamned mess. I hope they didn’t touch the motor.
          cars beep boop

Comment

Atleast one thing that seems to be good ;)

Lol, the guy that worked on this one sure know how to fuck things up.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Pulling the transmission out of my IX wasn't the worst thing I've ever done. Honestly, it's getting it back in that is a big pain in the ass. Trying to fit the shifter through the transmission tunnel is a big pain in the ass. I can't even remember how i ended up getting it to work, but it's there.

If you have long extension with swivel and all that shit, you can manage to go-go-gadget a ratchet right to the top bolts.

Comment

my record for a getrag 260 r&r is 4 hours with a burrito break :)
                cars beep boop

Comment

my record for a getrag 260 r&r is 4 hours with a burrito break :)
                  lol I love that mexican food and/or beer is always a part of your wrenching schedule. Always need time for snacks
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

have you tried not eating? it sucks
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
                      Finally, the piece du resistance - my poor, mangled, abused shifter hole. I wish I knew the thought process of the person who did this, but I'm slightly afraid.

If it's not clear from the image, the hole has random bits cut out of it. The rear shifter mount is heavily "modified" to have two bolts hold it to a random place on the bottom of the trans tunnel. The bracketry normally there to receive the end of the shift platform is nowhere to be found. Sigh.
                      Previous owners are the living worst. Cut, weld, paint, and swear a blood oath to find and hurt the person responsible for doing this to a Touring, preferably with said Touring.
                      -----I drink and I know car things-----
                      1989 325i Touring - Daily W.I.P.
                      ->https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=398457

Comment

Originally posted by -J- View Post
                        Previous owners are the living worst. Cut, weld, paint, and swear a blood oath to find and hurt the person responsible for doing this to a Touring, preferably with said Touring.
                        tell me about it :(

semi-fun fact, looks like the E34 driveshaft CV (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26111226881/) has at least a similar spline count (24). I'll be there tonight to pull the CV off the random E34 rear end behind our shop - it's not unpossible that it's a direct swap, and boots for the E34 CV are available - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26111225015/
                        cars beep boop

Comment

tell me about it :(

semi-fun fact, looks like the E34 driveshaft CV (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26111226881/) has at least a similar spline count (24). I'll be there tonight to pull the CV off the random E34 rear end behind our shop - it's not unpossible that it's a direct swap, and boots for the E34 CV are available - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/26111225015/
                          You might be on to something, the diameter that sits into the diff flange also needs to be correct though. Does the E34 use M8's or M10 studs? Because the E30 uses M8's.

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                            You might be on to something, the diameter that sits into the diff flange also needs to be correct though. Does the E34 use M8's or M10 studs? Because the E30 uses M8's.
                            I did some RealOEM sleuthing, which was pretty promising.

E30 touring ix driveshaft - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0057
                            E34 driveshaft - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0034

E34 bolts are M8, same as E30 ixt studs - good!
                            E30 CV gasket (#9) and E34 CV gasket (#16) are the same part # - good!

the last variable is the CV inner race - it has the same amount of splines, but will it fit? It's hard to imagine that BMW had several different variants of CV in the same year, but we already know they did.
                            cars beep boop

Comment

I did some RealOEM sleuthing, which was pretty promising.

E30 touring ix driveshaft - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0057
                              E34 driveshaft - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=26_0034

E34 bolts are M8, same as E30 ixt studs - good!
                              E30 CV gasket (#9) and E34 CV gasket (#16) are the same part # - good!

the last variable is the CV inner race - it has the same amount of splines, but will it fit? It's hard to imagine that BMW had several different variants of CV in the same year, but we already know they did.
                              The E34 CV joint shows LK=80mm (I think this is the diameter on which the bolt holes are located.
                              The E30 CV joint it not listed. Do you still have your driveshaft out of your ix?
                              Could you measure this dimension? if it's the same, that's even better if not.. :(

1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I will upload photos later since I am on my phone, but, e34 driveshaft CV confirmed for being a 100% direct replacement. :)

OD matches (94mm), splines are identical, bolt circle is perfect. Ordering a replacement boot has never felt this good.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X