X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kronus
    replied
    good news! it's a driver!

I got it registered and have been driving it back and forth to a race in sonoma the last few days.

bad news, I found a bunch more issues that were previously hard to find since it hadn't been over 15mph since I'd bought it.

- wind noise from driver's door
    - bad driver's door hinge pin (part ordered)
    - driver's door lock doesn't work from outside (rebuild kit ordered)
    - trunk lock not connected to central locking system
    - IOW I can't lock the car so I can't drive it anywhere and leave it
    - motor mounts are shot (parts ordered)
    - clunk from front left suspension on compression (needs to be looked at)
    - oil leak, which is annoying since it was previously the least leaky car I owned
    - some steering wheel vibration
    - half the cluster doesn't light up half the time
    - exhaust resonance at 2k
    - headlights were not reaimed when the PO cut the front springs, are basically pointed at the ground
    - rod knock above 4500, probably :(

time to write bimmerheads an email..
    Last edited by kronus; 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    I had the exhaust back off to fix a couple leaks from my previous welding job. Decided to tackle the floor hole at the same time.

Floor hole:

Made a template and cut a patch:

It goes there.

Welded up (low voltage, low wire feed.. nice and slow)

Etched/primed:

Black painted:

I then sealed it with 3M rubberized undercoating and tossed the exhaust back on. It'll do for a season or two.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    That's really close to how I have mine. I did retain the mounting point on the transfer case though and then a single 3" all the way back. This turned out great!

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    I like this a lot

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    oh, also, last weekend we got the front valence changed out for another one that was kicking around the shop. It was also bent, but in a easier-to-fix area and overall better.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    first there was tube

then i cut it into bits and stuff

this was a pain in the dick to close up but I figured it out

overall it came out pretty reasonable, fits into less space than the original cat, and almost doesn't even have an exhaust leak!

then I got it smogged, passed with flying colors. one step closer to reg.

celebratory unfurling of its wings:

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    cool, that tells me basically what I need to know

I think I'm keeping more of the 2x2" run than you did, but I want to keep the stock catback boltable to it.
    Part of me wishes i still had a 2x2, but either way i was able to retain all the stock location for mounting. I can still get a picture of it, cause I might be wrong. lol not like i never see it or anything.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    cool, that tells me basically what I need to know

I think I'm keeping more of the 2x2" run than you did, but I want to keep the stock catback boltable to it.

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    any shots of how you did the routing? I have a vague plan that's about as detailed as "weld thing to other thing"
    I don't have any pictures, but i know how it goes. The stock manifold comes down into a single flex pipe, then single down passed the transfercase mount and that's where the highflow cat is, then a single back to the muffler.

I need to get under the car again tonight briefly. I will take some pictures then.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    any shots of how you did the routing? I have a vague plan that's about as detailed as "weld thing to other thing"

Leave a comment:

• jeenyus
    replied
    Ok, so the car has been having a shitty time passing the sniffer. I fail idle emissions, but revved-up emissions is totally fine. I've gone through basically everything else, so I'm tossing a cat on it. Have ordered a weld-in magnaflow and a variety of related shiny metal bits.

Aiming to have it going before ski season this year.
    I have a magnaflow highflow cat on mine and it hasn't not passed emissions yet.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    Ok, so the car has been having a shitty time passing the sniffer. I fail idle emissions, but revved-up emissions is totally fine. I've gone through basically everything else, so I'm tossing a cat on it. Have ordered a weld-in magnaflow and a variety of related shiny metal bits.

Aiming to have it going before ski season this year.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    i feel attacked

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    other than "finish the white car"?

it might involve some Leffe
    Go on :)
    Last edited by Julien; 09-14-2018, 04:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    it might involve some Leffe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X