Clear All

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    So much TLC. I love seeing this.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    More progress on Betty, I've been busy!

Since I bought her i've been dying to buff the paint and see how nice it would come out. There is a fair share of oxidation on the car and I wanted to see if it would come back to life.

Post wash/claybar shot (note the stains in the clearcoat) with Meguiar's m105 Rubbing Compound:

Progress shot, 1/3 of the hood already polished. Meguiar's M205 Polish on mid section.

And some finished pictures! Very happy with the results.

A day or two later this showed up from Greece. How it mostly survived the trip across the Atlantic with that poor packaging I don't know, sometimes you get lucky

Unpackaged it and added it to my list of stuff to be installed. Yeah I've been going a little overboard lately ;D

A few days later I got my to-do list together and got busy. This stuff wasn't going to install itself.

First step was to cut into that euro valence since I want good A/C in the car. I have to warn you, I'm not good at this kind of stuff. I decided to cut behind the license plate holder area so my handy work wouldn't get too noticed in case it didn't come out great.

Mocked up:

Cut:

It came out better than I expected but not perfect. Next step was to paint it using color matched spray paintI got off Amazon.

I proceeded to platidip the bumpers black since the chrome was in poor shape (no pics of that) and assemble the front end of the car. I took a different twist to solving the 2 prong euro front blinker with 3 prong american wiring. I cut the connector at the blinker to allow the 2 prong connector to slide on. Make sure you get the ground wire in there and the middle wire.

Here she is! (Fog light blanks on order.. along with SEM trim paint)

I'm waiting on the rear bumper trim to come from Latvia to install the rear bumper. I already pulled the rear bumper as I managed to SELL them :rofl: Next feat, I will try and sell my chrome bottle cap wheels!

Last update... Even though my bank account is on empty, I found a set of ground control coil overs for sale locally. I wasn't sure about the shape of the Bilsteins as they hadn't been installed properly previously (loose collar nut ). I may end up swapping them at some point if the car doesn't feel right.

In the mean time I took them apart, trimmed the bump stops and cleaned the whole mess up a bit.

Before:

(Thanks Jeffnhiscars for the cabrio lid struts!)

After:

Outside:

Going to let it settle and make adjustments as needed. Thinking of lowering the back a hair.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    You're in LA now?! Just as I moved to SF 2 weeks ago :neutral:

Congrats on the pick up, wood grain looks baller, and stoked to see it on the Euro bumpers.

Sina
    ah merde! next time!

Last edited by Julien; 05-09-2018, 09:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    You're in LA now?! Just as I moved to SF 2 weeks ago :neutral:

Congrats on the pick up, wood grain looks baller, and stoked to see it on the Euro bumpers.

Sina

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    Quick update: Got many of the deferred maintenance items addressed on the car.
    - Center support bearing (driveshaft was taken apart previously and not aligned back properly)
    - guibo because I was in there
    - MTL in the trans
    - LOF - went liquimoly 5w40
    - Air/Fuel Filter
    - Spark plugs
    - Fan clutch
    - Rear shock mounts
    - Motor Mounts
    - Brake fluid
    - Adjusted vavles
    - Fixed power steering fluid leak
    - Valve cover gasket
    - Hood Shock

Parking garage repairs wheee

Pile of dead parts

All back together.

Not pictured, Simon AKA 2man, being my hero.

Originally posted by FredK View Post
    Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed. I'd just polish the bumpers and call it a day, the patina will look appropriate.
    Got the polish and steel wool today, can't wait to see the results

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    Last I checked BMW still sold them for about $140
    $250 now :-?

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
    Gotta love those bumners for sure
    Originally posted by kronus View Post
    it car

the wood trim bits are lovely

I've got a set of federalized uro bomper mounts (with a big metal bar between them) if you need 'em fyi
    dang, just bought some off ECS

Still waiting on more euro parts, my new interior and possibly some new wheels to show up (ahem kronus)
    Last edited by Julien; 05-03-2018, 10:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kronus
    replied
    it car

the wood trim bits are lovely

I've got a set of federalized uro bomper mounts (with a big metal bar between them) if you need 'em fyi

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Originally posted by FredK View Post
    Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed.
    Gotta love those bumners for sure

Leave a comment:

• jeffnhiscars
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien View Post

Anyone know how rare these are? I have two of them
    Last I checked BMW still sold them for about $140

Leave a comment:

• FredK
    replied
    Haha, this project is awesome! Lookin forward to seeing some euro bumners installed. I'd just polish the bumpers and call it a day, the patina will look appropriate.

Leave a comment:

• rzerob
    replied
    Subscribed.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Just rock the bumps as they are... Betty aint no beauty queen

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    Care package came from Europe!

I took off the black paint with paint stripped to see the shape of the chrome below

Ehhh.. not sure what to do. Repaint them, polish up the chrome, plasti-dip? Suggestions are welcome!

Anyone know how rare these are? I have two of them

Leave a comment:

• F34R
    replied
    Welcome back to the drug! Such a shame on the interior but the car looks great and that top took it to a new level. LOVE the wood trim, it's just perfect 80s goodness.

Leave a comment:

• Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Very cool! This thing will come together quite nicely!

Once I swap over to plastic bumpers, do you want my 88 bumper shocks so you can get a medium tuck job on those diving boards?

and please please please leave that "wood" trim inside. its pretty awesome to see one in good condition still
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    x2
    keeping it for sure!

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
    Fun Fact: Sun Graphic CA plates were discontinued in 1987.

Sweet car man, super jelly. I know a good PDR guy out in Huntington Beach that can take out the fender dent. He's been in business for about 25 years.
    That's awesome, did not know that. PM'd you about PDR guy

Originally posted by wworm View Post
    that means my cars got original plates too woo!
    OG plate gang
    :pimp::pimp:

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
    that means my cars got original plates too woo!
    OG plate gang

Leave a comment:

• Mike36
    replied

Sweet car man, super jelly. I know a good PDR guy out in Huntington Beach that can take out the fender dent. He's been in business for about 25 years.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X