X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December 2019 Cont.

Progress
    Ahh, yes some progress on Lach's

My 30* aluminum elbow and AFE intake came in. Things ended up fitting pretty well. Filter Isn't as big as I wanted. I know it wont be limited factor on power, but can take more dirt before needing cleaned..
    I want to calculate the surface area of the filter and compare it to others AFE packaged kits. Low priority though.
    TC01 Dec 2019 by Zachary Ketring, on Flickr

Rear deck / parcel shelf came out pretty good. Deleted the seat belt holes. Still need to find a bracket for the 3rd brake light and get new screws for the speakers, and test the speakers

Added 2 screws to help seal the slit I made in the airbox for the oil cooler lines

Additional weight goes on the right side of the car. Made AMP bracket and welded them in with patience, 5 gallon bucket of water, and fire extinguisher.

If I think about it Ill get a weight on the Amp, Trying to be weight conscious.

I'll probably order some seat heat and cooled TED devices this week. Once I get all the electronics line up I can wire things up

Still digging for some 10MM / 3/8 alumacore locally in black. Will dig harder next week.

WORK

Tidying up a bunch of small details but did get to go up to indy and pick up the replica BMW S54 Motorsport headers, Now in Inconel. I hope these last a while!
    Work Dec 2019 by Zachary Ketring, on Flickr

OTHER

The diff in my 318Ti was rebuilt by metric mechanics. They actually made a video while rebuilding it.
    Check it out!

Rebuilding a BMW E30 differential the Metric Mechanic way. 4 disc VLS 2.93 (188mm). This video is not intended to be a DIY. We purposely skip over certain st...

Anyone show me how to embed youtube videos?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
      Where up here do you go for header work?
      Howerton racing products

I lived in Indy for years as a kid, Went to Fulton and Ben Davis. At the time I wasn't Hardcore into cars. Nor when I left. But knowing what I know now, I am kinda apprehensive that I don't move back with all the involvement with true Motorsports there. Louisville to Nashville is a little bogus. shrug.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        December 2019 Cont.

Progress
        Ahh, yes some progress on Lach's

My 30* aluminum elbow and AFE intake came in. Things ended up fitting pretty well. Filter Isn't as big as I wanted. I know it wont be limited factor on power, but can take more dirt before needing cleaned..
        I want to calculate the surface area of the filter and compare it to others AFE packaged kits. Low priority though.

Rear deck / parcel shelf came out pretty good. Deleted the seat belt holes. Still need to find a bracket for the 3rd brake light and get new screws for the speakers, and test the speakers

Added 2 screws to help seal the slit I made in the airbox for the oil cooler lines

Additional weight goes on the right side of the car. Made AMP bracket and welded them in with patience, 5 gallon bucket of water, and fire extinguisher.

If I think about it Ill get a weight on the Amp, Trying to be weight conscious.

I'll probably order some seat heat and cooled TED devices this week. Once I get all the electronics line up I can wire things up

Still digging for some 10MM / 3/8 alumacore locally in black. Will dig harder next week.

WORK

Tidying up a bunch of small details but did get to go up to indy and pick up the replica BMW S54 Motorsport headers, Now in Inconel. I hope these last a while!
        Work Dec 2019 by Zachary Ketring, on Flickr

OTHER

The diff in my 318Ti was rebuilt by metric mechanics. They actually made a video while rebuilding it.
        Check it out!

Rebuilding a BMW E30 differential the Metric Mechanic way. 4 disc VLS 2.93 (188mm). This video is not intended to be a DIY. We purposely skip over certain st...

Anyone show me how to embed youtube videos?

Inconel? ohh baby

for some reason I can see your pics on my phone but not computer. wish I knew how to embed youtube vids too, couldn't get it to work

Comment

inconel. The originals only last a season before they time out. S54 Motorsport headers are running thin also... literately.

Hmm, maybe something with a browser plug in. Works for me in Chrome on PC.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

inconel. The originals only last a season before they time out. S54 Motorsport headers are running thin also... literately.

Hmm, maybe something with a browser plug in. Works for me in Chrome on PC.
            not exactly something you can pick up at your local metal supply, that's some fancy metal. the headers look great., for some reason now can see on my computer... go figure

Comment

December 2019 Cont. Tidying up a bunch of small details but did get to go up to indy and pick up the replica BMW S54 Motorsport headers, Now in Inconel.
              Would you mind sharing where you got these from? Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

www.stancefactory.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                Would you mind sharing where you got these from? Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
                The factory’s ones you have to dig around if you can find them. They are good for a season or so and harder to come by. If you want a copy in stainless or inconel you can go thru me and we can get another set into production.

Zach@Zakspeed.us

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

December 2019 - Cont.

Progress?
                  Yes!

Another part off the shelf and onto the car. Exhaust Tip.

Off with the old

3 layers of pipe in here. Disappointing of how much it choked down the system... But maybe caused no effect on performance, I no before or after dyno to know know..

Nothing is simple as it seems, took some time to get out the layers and clean things up.

Welded thru the Stainless mig tacks

Finally the New tip is on Vband mounted. I like this idea in case I ever have to swap over to a turn down for sound or something.

Made a discovery while bolting down the speakers that they are cracked / blown

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

wowza, bosozoku style exhaust? welding looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      wowza, bosozoku style exhaust? welding looks great!
                      HAHA, The exhaust Isnt big, The bumper are big.. It is about 8mm past the bumper, I pan to keep the diving boards with no shame. Hopefully it'll help quiet down cabin noise and not burn up the bumper...

Inspiration
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen-Shot-2019-06-04-at-8.54.03-AM.png Views:	0 Size:	126.0 KB ID:	9895217
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	1973_BMW_2002tii3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	105.0 KB ID:	9895218
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	porsche-home.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	9895219

NOT
                      https://www.google.com/search?q=bozu...w=1745&bih=807
                      Last edited by moatilliatta; 12-30-2019, 04:02 PM.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

lol, i'm just giving you a hard time. It looks great. mine stick out a few inches, because i used to have the diving boards and I like how it looks. I kept it and it looks good with plastics.

Comment

Awesome update and absolutely love the exhaust. The v band is barely noticeable and awesome to be able to swap tips out, if needed. The rolled tip looks rad and the length looks perfect. Something weird about an exhaust letting out prior to the edge of the bumper.

Comment

Cool idea with the V band on the exhaust tip. I think it would be fun to have a set of tips and change it up every now and then.

Comment

December 2019 CONT

Progress.

Took some time digging but found the P/N for the OE speakers rear premium speakers

On a previous E30 325iX I used the stock premium speakers wired up to a 200W blaupunkt amp and a CD43. I knew the premium speakers could sound really good so gave me reason to splurge . So either new ones will sound better because they are new.... or wont be made the same and sound like crap... I'm still questioning how the Conti/VDO head unit will sound...

Frenching the headlights and having 3K hid bulbs fave me a crazy deep gold maybe even bronze. Was kinda cool, but needed more performance. 4k bulbs were a bit too white for what I was shooting for. I found Morimoto makes a 3800K bulb, I think these will work great. Some comparison photos, took me a little bit to get a good headlight photo...

3800K bulbs on both sides

Ordered my heated seat / cooler units. Hopefully will be in before he weekend, Amp and speaker wire should be in next week!

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Jan 2020

Progress.

No photos but I spent a few hours trying to figure out how to paint the picture in my head.

MK60 ABS looks like it go where the old fusebox is, the new fuse box will be a e46 unit in the glove box. I think...

I have the MK60 / E46 chassis harness I'm going to use as a template

Will do a half cage, will have on diagonal as the door bar which will go deep in the foot well as foot protection. This seems easy, keeping ingress, degrees casual. But I want to add a bar to the strut tower to the floor pan by the seat making a LOW x bar, Things in the way I want to keep, Front speaker, Map pocket, glove box. HMM.....

Something to add front strut tower rigidity to help keep them from pulling away from the chassis at the firewall.

Happy New Years!

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X