And then there was Bella

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • jwetering
    replied
    what happened to the Rotas ?

    I wonder what happened to you Rota wheels ? I may be interested in them if you still have them.

    Thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    That looks like a PITA to install, as in the whole bloody dash has to come apart to find the correct wire.

    It was nice meeting you as well.

    Will
    no no, just the HVAC panel. 8 screws

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    Yep! This would fix it

    Great meeting you too Will!
    That looks like a PITA to install, as in the whole bloody dash has to come apart to find the correct wire.

    It was nice meeting you as well.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackbirdM3
    Yep, it went to a good home. He is super happy with it. After dropping you off, we went up to La Honda to see a friend of mine, then took highway 95 north to 92, then back to the east bay.

    One question, does the OBC mileage read incorrectly high due to the fact that its got the wrong (bigger) injectors in it? I was shocked to find it reading 36mpg when I pushed the button.

    Will
    Yep! This would fix it

    Great meeting you too Will!

    Leave a comment:


  • BlackbirdM3
    replied
    Yep, it went to a good home. He is super happy with it. After dropping you off, we went up to La Honda to see a friend of mine, then took highway 95 north to 92, then back to the east bay.

    One question, does the OBC mileage read incorrectly high due to the fact that its got the wrong (bigger) injectors in it? I was shocked to find it reading 36mpg when I pushed the button.

    Will

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Guys, I did it again, I sold my e30! The 1.5+ hour commute to work was wearing on me, mainly because I was banging my head on the headliner on several of the bigger dips on on the highway (6'6" woo) - lol

    I am super happy that it went to a friend in common of 2man, Farhad. He's already been working hard to make her even prettier.

    Here are some pictures:




    And my new daily driver :)


    Happy New Year!

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by Staszek
    Nice job! Tell me more about the radio? I love my pioneer but I may eventually want to go to something more OEM looking.
    The blaupunkts are hard to find and it turns out... not repairable :-?

    Leave a comment:


  • Staszek
    replied
    Nice job! Tell me more about the radio? I love my pioneer but I may eventually want to go to something more OEM looking.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by rzerob
    Very nice. I am dreading doing a headliner as well. Where did you get the new one? And is the sunroof cover different material? It looks like a different color from the rest of the headliner.
    The headliner was used, got it from Austin! Yep, sunroof panel is a bit different, shrug.
    Originally posted by wworm
    holy moly thats a lot of work in such few photos.
    Less pics, more work!

    Leave a comment:


  • wworm
    replied
    holy moly thats a lot of work in such few photos.

    Leave a comment:


  • rzerob
    replied
    Very nice. I am dreading doing a headliner as well. Where did you get the new one? And is the sunroof cover different material? It looks like a different color from the rest of the headliner.

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    I've been pretty busy the last few weekends, so progress has been a bit slower than usual. On the flip side, we had a great turn out at the e30 meet I hosted and I did get to go to Lake Tahoe!





    In the meantime I did buy a bunch of radios online. I ended up with two of my favorite e30 radios of all time, the Blaupunkt Toronto RDM 126



    Unfortunately, the top radio has a bad lcd but a good key card, and the bottom radio has no keycard but a good but faded LCD:



    I bought a keycard on ebay, found the code on a Lithuanian website and also found a shop (radiomanrepair) that said they can fix the display for $250 I went ahead and pulled the trigger because I love these decks, they match the interior perfectly and they have aux-in. Waiting for them to let me know when it's fixed *Fingers crossed*

    I also bought two CM5908s hoping to do Cantaloupe's Bluetooth mod. First radio was unresponsive to code supplied by the dealer :( so I changed the code with these instructions:






    But still nada Not even a beep

    On the second radio, I got a code to work! Dead LCD backlight (but good LCD), One Channel dead and other misc small issues. That's when two radios became one. Motherboard from radio 2, cassette deck, LCD, and buttons from radio 1:

    Even the magic finger function works!

    As a test I swapped buttons from radio 2 back to radio one and figured out key 2/3 weren't working well originally, hence the code issue!! My plan is to reflow both circuit boards, rebuild the one amp and order backlights for the good display


    More on that later.

    At some point I waxed up the spare trunk lid I purchased off Mike36, didn't come out perfect but matches the patina of the car nicely :D
    Before:

    After:

    (Sorry, pic is mediocre..)

    I found some spare time last Sunday, so I decided to swap in the crack-free dash that came with the car.


    Click Image to see time lapse footage of the removal:

    Two dashboards:

    If you are careful you can pop out the plastic rivets that hold the VIN plate in and swap that over too.

    Swapping in some new bulbs:


    Finished!


    I also installed new 205/55R15 S.Drive tires. She's no longer scary to drive in the wet! (Replaced 7 year old Z1s!)


    When I'm not working on it, the car is on daily-driver duty. I cross the bay with it everyday. I'm amazed how pretty this place is every sunrise and sunset.


    Last, but not least.. I finally tackled the big job I've been putting off. Huge thanks to Kronus for the help! I'll let the pictures do the talking:









    And... BAM! THAT was a chore! I can no longer feel my fingers but super happy with the results.




    Happy Holidays to everyone!!
    Last edited by Julien; 12-16-2018, 12:10 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • BUDNUNTA
    replied
    im into 195/60/15s at the moment

    lots of options and I like the way a e30 feels with the narrow tire

    Leave a comment:


  • Julien
    replied
    Originally posted by Jb325is
    It's so bad! I'd like to buy the Continental EC sport in 205/50, but the car I'm picking up is an early model and I think they'll look small. Almost pulled the trigger on a set of 225/45 BFG Rivals before that, but pretty worried about driving around on those over the winter. Car comes with 225/50/15, so I guess I'll try those but they look huge
    225/50R15 - same rolling radius as 205/55R15


    205/50r15 early model


    Some people also run 195/55R15

    Leave a comment:


  • Jb325is
    replied
    Originally posted by Julien
    yep, on the fence about going back to 205/55r15 but tire selection is :down:
    It's so bad! I'd like to buy the Continental EC sport in 205/50, but the car I'm picking up is an early model and I think they'll look small. Almost pulled the trigger on a set of 225/45 BFG Rivals before that, but pretty worried about driving around on those over the winter. Car comes with 225/50/15, so I guess I'll try those but they look huge

    Leave a comment:

Working...