'MY19' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
    How much time have you spent making sure your sockets/wrenches are perfectly clean before they touch a bolt on this car? lol
    It's not entirely like that, but for sure there is no rush. As much about the process as the end result :)
    Originally posted by Melon View Post
    Those seats are awesome man, great choice.
    Thank you, I hope to have some updates shortly. I've been away and I got sent some progress shots and I need to go see one thing in particular. Not sure it's working. We'll see :)

Originally posted by efficient View Post
    damn just went through this whole thread. very nice work

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Hi all,
      Finally had some time to do some things to the car.
      Have been steadily pulling the good bits off the old shell, cleaning, detailing and/or restoring them to reuse on the new shell. This is stuff like trans, diff, fuel tank, etc etc. I refreshed all this only some 5000km ago on the donor car – new fw/clutch, new driveshaft, new axles, new torsen diff etc so it was already pretty clean.

First out was the fuel tank, which I want to get powder coated black. No pic of the after but with the cosmoline cleaned off, it’s actually in good shape. I will get that balance tube replated (so much plating to do)

Gearbox cleaned up pretty good. Used an etch to give it the just cast look. I think it will pass muster

Then I paid attention to fuel and brake lines. These are the old ones, cleaned up and given some love and with new clips. I cant see I need to do new lines. Couple of stone chips in them, but whos really gonna see it… painting them would be a mistake… so OE it is

Lastly, the black chrome is growing on me. Think this is what im going to do

until next time :)
      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

What did happen to the other car?
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Working...
        X