No announcement yet.

Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This project is utterly insane and can't stop loving it. Also that orange is just so mint!

Comment

Originally posted by Albie325 View Post
      Was just thinking about this thread the other day! I 100% agree with you with the "overdone" stitching and I think yours came out very tastefully. Nice little upgrade with the wider area for the arm, would have never thought to do something like that. These kinds of details are what really set your car apart, will be fantastic when done.
      Originally posted by onesecond View Post
      This project is utterly insane and can't stop loving it. Also that orange is just so mint!
      Thanks for the comments, it should be done soon enough :)

I had my seat belts remanufactured with new webbing and new genuine buckles. I chose a light blue webbing. I hope this turns out OK... I am planning a light blue carpet (lol...) so hopefully it turns out and doesn't look like a train wreck.
      Really happy with the services of the "seat beat king" - a local business that turned these around in 24 hours .

i reused the inertia reels as they seemed to work OK and the king was happy enough with them.
      interesting that on the rear belts there are different brands of inertia reels... maybe one got replaced under warranty... maybe they just had different supplier parts on the line that day and Klaus got lazy... who knows :)
      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

maybe not the best photos in the world, but belts are in.
        I think they look OK. Looks better in better light.

and this is the carpet colour i am going with
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

The belt color kind of clashes with the leather IMO.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

i put a bonnet on and aligned the gaps properly

also put on some evo 3 bonnet seals

kind of makes the seal gap more obvious... obviously :)

no peel

Comment

Beautiful, and love the interior. Where do you get new seatbelt buckles? Did you get them before they went NLA?
              "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

WOW beautiful inside and out! How do you like the LMs
                Last edited by Staszek; 06-01-2021, 09:35 AM.
                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                  If I had an engine to drop in it would be pretty much good to go except carpet and door trims. Both of these are next.

Someone told me that “people” have been able to flash the MS70 to let N52’s run standalone from CAN and all the other modules in an E90
                  This is actually a really appealing motor because it’s a great engine, and its modern, torquey , good power and fuel efficient-ish. That plus a bosch e-booster could well be a recipe I want to cook !

thats all for now

N52B30!! Yes, the DME can be flashed. :)

-lighter than an M42
                  -double the power
                  -fuel efficient, modern, and reliable
                  -dirt cheap / super common (BMW made millions of them from 2005-2012)

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...wap-discussion

Great build BTW.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

-lighter than an M42
                    -double the power

Great build BTW.
                    LOVED my N52, would be awesome to see one in this car.
                    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Hey thanks team, i think it's made a real mental difference to put the bonnet on. Makes it look almost finished. Which, it is really, I have just been dragging my feet on a few things.

Like, I have been holding off doing any more body assembly because I am really waiting for this one detailer to come spend a few days doing correction on the whole car prior to having a fair chunk of it wrapped in clear film. But my state keeps having Covid lockdowns so getting that stuff done just keeps blowing out.

Also bought another house in another state and about to start a big reno, work is also kicking my butt, so it's all about time (or lack of).... :)

Finally sucked it up and ordered a bunch of gaskets and zinc flake bolts & nuts to button up the M42. No yellow zinc.

I also found a local shop that applies the Dorken Delta MKS system, which is the zinc flake finish you see on BMW bolts with the "ZNS3" suffix. I have them doing a set of OE brake calipers. For registration and roadworthy inspections it will be far easier to get the car on the road with the original brakes. So with that path of least resistance means original brakes but yellow zinc doesnt fit the colour scheme... so ZNS2 it is (ZNS3 has a further top coating on it for use as bolts... calipers dont need that so ZNS2 it is).

I need this thing registered and on the road by the end of the year.

Interior wise this means I need to put work in and finish the rear parcel shelf and i need my dear trimmer to make me a carpet set.
                      Exterior - paint correction, final polish & wrap. Then clip on the iS side skirts and push in the black bumper trim and it's pretty much done. I have the other Evo3 front gap seals to put on too, so we'll see how they look. Some are kinda bulky.
                      Drivetrain - finish assembly on M42, get it in the car. remake engine harness (oe harness is ugly [and old])

Debating whether to get a remanufactured cluster and have it set back to 000,000 KM or leave the existing one in at 230,000KM.

Originally posted by 89_325i View Post
                      Beautiful, and love the interior. Where do you get new seatbelt buckles? Did you get them before they went NLA?
                      thanks dude, I did buy new belt buckles all round before they went NLA. I was a bit sad to cut the brand new black webbing off... but that's the dance we have.

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                      LOVED my N52, would be awesome to see one in this car.
                      We'll see. Not sure I have another engine swap in me at this stage.

-lighter than an M42
                      -double the power

Great build BTW.

But that said, it would be great to understand who / where I can get DME flashing done. Looks like I need an ibooster, does anyone have a plug and play kit for that yet?

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                      WOW beautiful inside and out! How do you like the LMs
                      thanks boss, just trying to keep up. LM's - i think they look better in person than photo. I already had them, so that's whats on there. If my budget was unlimited I would go get something custom made to replicate the 1992 DTM style wheel. Will need to see where this reno ends up. I think the LM would look better in silver than diamond black that they are now. I also think they look a bit anaemic in photos because internet cars are all crazy stance etc. These wheel size and offsets are completely driveable everywhere, so it looks a bit mild I guess.

Comment

Debating whether to get a remanufactured cluster and have it set back to 000,000 KM or leave the existing one in at 230,000KM.
                        Set it to zero, it’s new! What a meticulous and gorgeous restoration. Inspiring to see this level of care and attention to detail. Gorgeous car!

Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                        1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                        Palm Beach County

Comment

But that said, it would be great to understand who / where I can get DME flashing done. Looks like I need an ibooster, does anyone have a plug and play kit for that yet?
                          I could flash and mail you the DME (they're dirt cheap here). Future updates can be done online (fine tuning, dyno tuning, etc). That part is easy (to me).

AFAIK, there's nobody else that can do the standalone flash, but I mainly do it because someday I want to do my own swap, not to rake people over the coals!
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

IMO - leave it alone! Wear that high mileage like badge of honor. Anyone can buy a 0 km/mile car - but one that looks brand new, and has that kind of history - people will be like, "What? *THAT* car has 150,000 miles??" (243k km). Have the cluster refurbished, but leave the odometer original!

On the other hand, if you reset it to 0 - it's not like it's really 0 miles / KM. Anyone with a screwdriver can reset an E30 odometer to 0 miles, but it's never going to be real. Kinda like putting a fake M3 badge on your car.

You said you plan on driving this car and enjoying it. I've had the same E30 for nearly 20 years - I've been through all the stages. stock, modded, hardcore track, making it perfect, daily driver, and now back to just making it more original and just work right again (it's got scratches, dings, etc - meh - it's fun to drive!). I don't even know my true mileage - and it doesn't matter to me. I kinda wish the odometer showed the real mileage, but it was broken or intermittent for at least 20-25,000 miles, lol.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

What state is the new residence? I sure hope it's NSW...
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

IMO - leave it alone! Wear that high mileage like badge of honor. Anyone can buy a 0 km/mile car - but one that looks brand new, and has that kind of history - people will be like, "What? *THAT* car has 150,000 miles??" (243k km). Have the cluster refurbished, but leave the odometer original!

On the other hand, if you reset it to 0 - it's not like it's really 0 miles / KM. Anyone with a screwdriver can reset an E30 odometer to 0 miles, but it's never going to be real. Kinda like putting a fake M3 badge on your car.
                                Rethinking. Yes, there is something nice about keeping the KMs on it.

Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                                1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                                Palm Beach County

Comment

Working...
                                X