Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
    If my budget was unlimited I would go get something custom made to replicate the 1992 DTM style wheel.
    If you're talking about these wheels below, you should do it. With all the work and perfection you put into this, it is absolutely worth it. They will make them 4x100 if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Victell View Post

If you're talking about these wheels below, you should do it. With all the work and perfection you put into this, it is absolutely worth it. They will make them 4x100 if you want.

That is the style I lean towards, but not from the Kiwis. There's an Italian mob I forget the name of that do them. Kind of take the original and tweak it ever so slightly.
      88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

I could flash and mail you the DME (they're dirt cheap here). Future updates can be done online (fine tuning, dyno tuning, etc). That part is easy (to me).

AFAIK, there's nobody else that can do the standalone flash, but I mainly do it because someday I want to do my own swap, not to rake people over the coals!
        Thanks for the info and the offer. I will store that away for consideration. If i find myself with a finished car and nothing better to do I might look into it further :)
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
          What state is the new residence? I sure hope it's NSW...
          Close. The Federal bit in the middle.

Little bit of progress today. In my quest to ā€œMY19ā€ the E30 one of the things that has got the boot is zinc plating. BMW seemed to kinda ditch it between E36/46 because its quite bad to environment. They switched to a zinc flake coating which is applied as a coating not a plating. So, no vats of acid or base etc. Less nasties. Also no hydrogen embrittlement.
          If you ever see a part number & description with ā€œZNS3ā€ on it that designates a 3 coat zinc flake system coating. The actual brand of coating is Doerken MKS and the specific type is Delta MKS.
          https://www.doerken-mks.de/en/coating-solutions/zinc-flake/
          So, I found someone locally that does it.

To get the car on the road as easy as possible itā€™s going to start life with standard brakes. So this is the focus of todayā€™s update.

Had them hydroblasted / vapour honed and sent them off to get Delta MKSā€™d.

Overall, very pleased with the outcome.

You might say you can get a similar look from a spray can. Possible to get a silver finish sure, but this is a finish thatā€™s more durable than plating not just a rattle can finish.

Full reco with new genuine bits.

No assembly pics because my hands were covered in rrubber greaseā€¦

I also pulled apart the throttle body and had it hydroblasted etc and time to put back together

Little fiddly, couple things kind of staked in.

There is a bitch of a circlip to go back in hereā€¦ way un fun

After much procrastination slowly dry assembling the long blockā€¦

Basically checking I have the parts I think I need. Ordering from realoem can be hit and miss

I think this thread could actually be renamed ā€œbuilding a new E30 from realoem, one part number at a timeā€

Few parts to order just to get the intake on the engine

the blue is the correct part number for E30, the red is a modern ZNS3 replacement bolt. Rule of thumb seems to be a 0711991xxxxx bolt is zinc plate, 0711990xxxx is zinc flake. Not universal though! found 2 exceptions.
          cardboard is double sided :)

Comment

and yes, the valve cover wrinkle coat is being redone :)

Comment

This build is really something! You'll have a ride that'll be good for easily another 35 years or longer when you're done.

Comment

Did a little work, fitting a few things in between preparing to sell a house and general life

Got the puny, underwhelming OEM brakes fitted up. Looking nice and clean and standard so registration process will be easy.

Cute, they almost look like real brakes :)

The view through the wheels is laughable

No, Iā€™m not using those nuts, thatā€™s just what I had to hand.

Somewhat relenting to practicality and put an OEM boot lining in. In keeping with this being a driver, the boot needs to be a little usable and not too precious
                Looks OK I guessā€¦ looks like a boot.

Trimmer is making a trimmed floor and rear of seat insert out of the same blue German square weave carpet that will be in cabin.

Lastly, got the E46 inner rod ends and boots installed. Missing inner OTK clipsā€¦

The planning and layout for the cabin carpet has begun but theres not too much to show there yet.
                This is the carpet https://relicate.com/collections/ger...2438096805968#!

Until the next oneā€¦

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
                  I think this thread could actually be renamed ā€œbuilding a new E30 from realoem, one part number at a timeā€

Tell me about it haha. The local BMW dealer has a stack of parts for me now I gotta go pick up. Door seals, windows, trim, etc. And so many other nuts bolts clips.
                  "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

Originally posted by 89_325i View Post

Tell me about it haha. The local BMW dealer has a stack of parts for me now I gotta go pick up. Door seals, windows, trim, etc. And so many other nuts bolts clips.
                    šŸ˜ it's definitely a phenomenon. someone should hashtag that... šŸ˜‰

Comment

car, meet engine

there has been a lot of work gone into finding replacement bolts in the same size as the original yellow zinc ones but in ZNS3 zinc flake. MUCH realoem shopping. Redic how expensive genuine bolts are..

Last edited by burkey001; 07-31-2021, 12:49 AM.

Comment

also, custom carpet is underway in "German square weave"

Comment

New harmonic balancer or just old one made nice?
                          Can't decide whether to try hunt down a new E30 one (seemingly impossible) or just put a E36 one on and go to serpentine belt.
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Well this has been long overdue. Finally reunited with some COVID lockdown time put to good use.

Engine in, driveline in, underbody buttoned up.

Feels good šŸ˜Š

And Econti, itā€™s the original damper with a coat of paint. ā€œLooked fineā€ and didnā€™t want to drop too much money on the M42.

Wiring harness is OEM at the moment because I want to fire it up and check everything works before I ruin it with my own wiring šŸ˜Š

Next is to see how bad the interference between the OE header and the E46 steering linkage isā€¦

Comment

That looks awesome.

Also - notice you're running 1x continuous length of hood weather stripping (top of the firewall and down the fenders).
                              I like that idea to channel water away.
                              - is that an OE special?
                              - or a locally sourced part.
                              E30 320i vert
                              But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                                That looks awesome.

Also - notice you're running 1x continuous length of hood weather stripping (top of the firewall and down the fenders).
                                I like that idea to channel water away.
                                - is that an OE special?
                                - or a locally sourced part.
                                it's a boot seal :)

Comment

Working...
                                X