Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple more of the parcel shelf, quite happy with the detail in it

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Ohh really like the style of the rear shelf! Maybe I missed it but where are you relocating the rear speakers? Also as curious if you decided to do anything with the m42 or are you keeping it stock?

Comment

That rear shelf is pretty!
        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
          That rear shelf is pretty!
          Thanks 😀 I am pretty pleased with it. Different from standard but not, IMO at least, over the top. The pattern of the seams ties in with the seats and the carpet will be edge bound in leather like that shelf insert is. So, it should all tie together pretty well I hope.

Originally posted by onesecond View Post
          Ohh really like the style of the rear shelf! Maybe I missed it but where are you relocating the rear speakers? Also as curious if you decided to do anything with the m42 or are you keeping it stock?
          No audio system in this car. I umm'd and arr'd over this but IMO E30 is a pretty ordinary audio platform. Kick panel area is too compact and sealing up a chamber - given it vents into the chassis section beneath the door opening - is a major pain... so I gave up on it.
          If i need tunes I will just have a little bluetooth speaker on the passenger seat. No IASCA comps for me :)
          88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Had to slightly clearance the header to fit the purple tag rack. So close to fitting.

Fixed

Plugged in the AC lines and some rad hoses

And had to ask some folks if this barb was the PCV recirc from the charcoal canister, cos my memory failed.. 😊

Comment

Couple of things slowly ticking over. Carpet not completed because in our covid lockdown we’re not allowed visitors etc, so hard getting trades on site (my carpet whiz)

Mounted up the iS side skirts and I used the adhesive rubber trim from E36 M3 to provide a little bit of contrast

I ordered a Supersprint exhaust and a Magnaflow “direct fit” OEM style catalyst section. Supersprint arrived… I suspect the Magnaflow will take a long time

Hardware to support

Wiring tape – I was never really happy with Tesa tape under the trim cover on the firewall. Just feels like the wrong tape. Wrong texture, wrong gloss. I found an option I think is a better match. 3M Temflex 1755 friction tape. Is a rubber coated cloth tape. Not sticky by itself but it sticks to itself, so it’s quite friendly to use and reposition.

This is my reference car, an E30 with 8,000 original miles on it. It is like brand new. Whenever I want to look at what “it should look like” I look at this car.

To my eyes, that’s not Tesa tape. It has the same semi-self amalgamating finish that this 1755 tape does

Poor photo, bad angle, sorry

As you can see I am using the original engine harness, or most of it. I considerer making it from scratch but, honestly, seemed overkill even for me. This one is clean and functional. So I have just some a few cosmetic changes like cleaning it, new plugs, renewing the black sheathing and wrapping the bits that were originally wrapped.

I am going to run coil on plug though, so the ignition harness is out for some adjustment. Waiting on coils still, so can’t finalise that bit yet.

Minor calamity, forgot to label the plugs as Cyl 1-4, so a bit of quick DME pinout later and i have that sorted

Engine has fluid in it, getting a few things bolted up

I rebuilt my alternator too. I cleaned up the castings but they turned out too bright compared to the rest of the raw aluminium. So, I painted them with some bleach and let them sit a couple minutes. Kind of dulled it off nicely and gave it – something – of a cast finish.
              Lighting is poor in this part of workshop, apologies

and that red is too red….

Made up a bunch of 4GA earth straps too, got them all plugged in

That’s it, cya

Comment

Wow what a build. I think I want to see this finished more than I wanted my own project finished.

Comment

Originally posted by kyleconstantine View Post
                  Wow what a build. I think I want to see this finished more than I wanted my own project finished.
                  hey thanks, I'm pretty keen to see it move myself

Feels like the engine bay is wrapping up.

Got the rest of BMW coolant arrived just now, going to put that in tonight. Brake fluids on its way.

I feel like the catalytic convertor section is going to hold me up now for a turnover and fire.

Spent some time with engine wiring. Tidying a few things up.
                  Shortened the O2 sensor wiring, putting new terminals on things as needed etc.

Also pulled that injector harness fully apart to begin layout and orientation. I had planned to make a new subharness and join it up with a connector, but the OE harness has so much wire in it I will be cutting wire off.

Got it laying pretty neatly

Just waiting for the coils to arrive so I can terminate at the right length.

Pretty pleased, think it’s quite tidy

Comment

It really looks amazing! I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

1. On the original E30 with low milages. Is that "3M" tape used all over the car or just under the wiring cover? Just debating if I should re-wrap my wiring in the 3M stuff or the TESA. I want what looks the most OEM.
                    2. What ignition coils will you be running and what will you do about the plastic cover? I haven't seen any proper solution yet.

Thanks in advance and thanks for sharing all this good stuff!

Comment

The TESA tape is more matte than the factory stuff I removed, but I also thought maybe the original tape has gotten more glossy (and certainly more goopy/sticky) with it's old age. The stuff you used looks great too.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I love that E36 sideskirt trim, I've never seen that done before.
                        Originally posted by priapism
                        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                        Originally posted by shameson
                        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Getting close to that exciting time
                          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                            Getting close to that exciting time

Yes, but no doubt still months off 😁

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            I love that E36 sideskirt trim, I've never seen that done before.

Thanks dude, a subtle touch and I like when you can repurpose parts from other series. I didn’t want the body kit to rub on the sills because I don’t have an stoneguard there, so thought this would be a nice OE+ way to achieve it.

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                            The TESA tape is more matte than the factory stuff I removed, but I also thought maybe the original tape has gotten more glossy (and certainly more goopy/sticky) with it's old age. The stuff you used looks great too.

I haven’t really pulled much of the OG car apart because I haven’t needed to, and honestly, I don’t want to because it’s so untouched. That tape looks more focussed under the trim panel. Along the side of the engine I think it’s mostly in that rigid plastic loom tubing. But I haven’t closely paid attention to it (it’s not mine, it’s a family members)

Poured in some more coolant here and I have just had a litre of ATE Super Blue arrive in the mail. So will be bleeding brakes and clutch soon as I can get back into it.

Borrowed the catalyst section from a friend so I could bolt up the Supersprint exhaust and check that all the bits bolts up and I have all the parts I need. Pleased to report the Supersprint fit is exceptionally good. 100% OEM bolt up.

Bolting up old catalyst for test (thanks Simon)… don’t worry not using this

This center section carrier is not the same as originally came on the car, subtly different. When you look it up in the ETK there are actually two options, I don’t know why. This one shown has a more rigid fitment because the isolation between the two parts is some very high durometer rubber inserts. The original one uses a pair of 17mm tall elastomer buffers. I bought that one too, but using this because it’s more compact and looks a little neater IMO.

SS fitment is top notch.

Pretty certain I have that exhaust hanger mounted to the subframe attached upside down… waiting on the rubber hanger.

I have room to push the tip in further, will have to wait and see how I feel about the position

It kind of just sits flush with the plastic bumper

Haven’t put the black trim in the bumpers because they still need a wet sand and flatten.

Close! Feels like a car :)

Comment

I charged up a battery, pulled the spark plugs and did some power up testing.

All the electrics seem to work which is awesome, except my reverse lights but I will have to check on another E30 whether they light up when the car is not running.

I wanted to check the engine and make sure it built oil pressure before I went and did anything else.

I turned it over a few times and kept checking the oil filter to see if it was getting oil in it… nope.
                              Engine was making a mild clicking sound on turnover and I was getting worried I had done something wrong.

Filled the oil filter housing with oil and just let it sit… i figured that might flow some oil down into the pump to help it prime after being completely dry.

A few 15-20 second cranks later and I noticed I had oil spilled all over the floor…. We have oil flow!

I had the valve cover off so I heard all the hissing going on as the oil galleries filled up and pushed air out. Soon as that happened the ‘click click click’ sound vanished so that may have been a lifter that was a bit dry… so I am pleased about that.

Bled the brakes.

Pretty pumped!

Comment

This is awesome. I don't think I'll go to the extent that you're going, but I do want to completely strip my project down and nut and bolt as much as I can and have an extremely well sorted street car! Can't wait to see the fully finished product!

Comment

Working...
                                X