Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by E30auddie View Post
    This is awesome. I don't think I'll go to the extent that you're going, but I do want to completely strip my project down and nut and bolt as much as I can and have an extremely well sorted street car! Can't wait to see the fully finished product!
    thanks dude.

Sorted the reverse lights, didn't plug it in next to the gear shift.

Starting to bleed the clutch with old friend gravity right now. Need to remember the actual process for bleeding a totally dry circuit. the master is a pain from memory.
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Do yourself a favour and get a powered bleeder, the air powered ones are amazing
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

The march towards done continues

Put some ventureshield on the boot floor and got the spare LM mounted. Happy cos now the floor mat wont scratch the paint.

Fitted a throttle cable and fitted off the M3 cowl trim.

Fitted the parcel shelf and discovered it’s really tough to photograph a parcel shelf…. But I think it looks great

Spinneybeck full aniline leather and “German square weave” carpet.

And although the carpet is not done I put the seats in to get a feel for the blue vibe. I like it

On the ground but I don’t think the LM will stay.

Closer!
        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Coil on plug done. Not bad, bit bulky. Think I will try S54 coils to make it more compact in the hope I can still run the “BMW” plug valley cover

Will paint the plate black if I keep it

And… it starts 😊

Comment

That's awesome news!
            E30 320i vert
            But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Sticking with S52 coils for the time being, they work, let’s get it finished :)

Did some adjustment to get it fitting right.
              Made some custom fasteners that locate the same as the OE bolts in the cam valley you have to take out to bolt the coil plate down. Even uses the OEM rubber washer.

Sits in there pretty good. Snug it up and the plate rests on top.

Snug it all up, happy days

Time to paint it and make it blend in a bit

Wrinkle black on the plate to match cam cover

Trying some contrasty orange anodised fasteners… gotta keep it a little custom after all

And that, besides the fact the new fan blower resister doesn’t seem to work, is the engine bay tucked in
              Pity I have to pull all that crap off to get at the blower resister… sigh

Comment

Where'd you get the COP kit from?
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

This thing is amazing. Loving every detail. Much like the Singer philosophy of ‘Everything Is Important’. I hope to jump into an OE-standard restomod once my current car is done, so this is all very educational and inspirational. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing you enjoying the fruits of your labors soon!

Comment

Minor update. The bright plated clips on the ignition coils were bothering me (too bright) so I gave them a light cut back with some steel wool and a light coat of some black PU paint. Kind of mutes it down a bit more.

Originally posted by Matt@EDC View Post
                    This thing is amazing. Loving every detail. Much like the Singer philosophy of ‘Everything Is Important’. I hope to jump into an OE-standard restomod once my current car is done, so this is all very educational and inspirational. Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing you enjoying the fruits of your labors soon!

Hey thanks man, while its definitely not close to what Singer do, I do admire their approach. Everything does matter because I am building my interpretation of a ‘new’ E30.

Originally posted by econti View Post
                    Where'd you get the COP kit from?

I made it from some 6mm 6061 plate I had leftover from some dry sump brackets I made for my other E30. Not too much to it, I can post up centre distances if you need. They are “accurate enough” not down to the nearest micron.

Also have some progress made on carpet. My main man mr trim is here laying down a few edges and seams after measuring many times. Is going to be a multi-piece carpet like an old Porsche because this German Square weave carpet isn’t overly mouldable and a one-piece repro is out of the question.

I would have used a new genuine carpet but they have been NLA in RHD for a long time. Plus, custom is kinda cool.

Don’t pay too close attention to any gaps here, this is just initial layout and fit testing views

That yellow zinc bolt has to go… does my head in. I will probably turn up some little aluminium trim caps for the bolts, have then coated black and retain them with a little internal oring pressure on the hex or something.

Rough view of the blue on blue on orange with a genuine Evo 2 wheel
                    Last edited by burkey001; 09-22-2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Carpet is done. Floor mats to come, then trim the boot and we’re done !

Need to tidy the seat mounts, blacken some hardware and obscure some bolts but I like it

I really like the upholstered throttle stop… feels fancy!

Comment

LOVE seeing this come together!
                        1990 325is
                        m52b28
                        3.73lsd
                        g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Just thought I'd bump your thread Burkey to see whether you're now happily driving the car out on the road now restrictions have lifted a bit!

Amazing work and attention to detail throughout as always, and a real inspiration. Did your black car sell - I see it has disappeared off carsales?
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I can’t remember if you are using the stock ECU or not. I got a set of CBR600 coils and they seem to fit under the factory plug wire cover. They are a 2pin connector so not sure how you could wire them in.

Just thought I would mention these coils if you wanted to try to fit them as they are the best I could find to keep the OEM cover. Im running a standalone though so maybe different scenario.
                            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by wazzu70 View Post
                              I can’t remember if you are using the stock ECU or not. I got a set of CBR600 coils and they seem to fit under the factory plug wire cover. They are a 2pin connector so not sure how you could wire them in.

Just thought I would mention these coils if you wanted to try to fit them as they are the best I could find to keep the OEM cover. Im running a standalone though so maybe different scenario.

That is some good intel right there… so CBR600 like a motorbike? Interesting, I am using the stock ECU so this might be not for me, but great info, thanks.

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                              Just thought I'd bump your thread Burkey to see whether you're now happily driving the car out on the road now restrictions have lifted a bit!

Amazing work and attention to detail throughout as always, and a real inspiration. Did your black car sell - I see it has disappeared off carsales?

It's almost done. Going for roadworthy on Tuesday. I am still waiting for my wheels to arrive, so it’s going for reg on some stock 14’s

I did sell my black car to a guy in Sydney. Seemed like an OK guy, says he has a McLaren too.

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                              LOVE seeing this come together!

Hey thanks dude :)

So, it’s been a little while. Kind of slow pace, few other aspects of life have taken focus recently. But we press on with projects.

Looking at what I was posting last looks like the carpet was being finished off.

So, had some floor mats made too and they are great.

But what slowed me down HEAPS was an oil leak.. I’ll fess up… had me scratching my head and going slightly mad. A weepy leak from the front that took me a LOT of troubleshooting to find. Ripped the bottom end off. Ripped the timing case off… chasing shadows. Changing gaskets. Lapping surfaces.
                              TURNS OUT I MISSED A BOLT! In the front timing case, I missed an M6x35 bolt that sits just inward of the oil filter housing… So the timing case wasn’t being clamped against the block enough in one spot and so it just wept oil…. Stuck it in and fixed. SO pleased. Spent 4-5 nights ripping into this, trying different things, chasing down dead ends what the leak may have been.

So, got that fixed, got an Unreg Permit and went for a little spin on my BBS LM… and that lasted all of 300metres. The tires on those rims are hugely flat spotted from locking some brakes on some spilt coolant at turn 9 at Sandown and spearing my old car into the armco at 110km/h., I had forgot about that. A good 5-6mm flatspotted on the right rear. ANYWAY so that’s why I am rolling 14’s until my NTM “TB3 DTM” wheels arrive

I’m having a set of these made in 17 with silver faces. I think they will work well. They’re a machined forging that’s a slight replica of a BBS E50

So, until they arrive we just wait. Getting some Pilot Sport 4 is proving difficult in the size I want too. Only 1 in the country they say..

I cleaned it on the weekend, and it felt real nice to see it all dusted off and looking like a finished thing. Really happy with the interior, it’s a nice place to be.

Car still needs a final flatten on a few bit of paint and a full correction before some PPF goes on.

Apologies for a million interior pics, I just like lookin at it. I will hold off on too many exterior until wheels arrive and paint is finished. Am also waiting for PPF before I put the black bumper trim in

Hopefully it passes rego on Tuesday

Comment

Great progress, loving it. But why would you do the NTM wheels when you can do real E50’s new?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                                X