Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
    Great progress, loving it. But why would you do the NTM wheels when you can do real E50’s new?

Re the E50, you mean the non-TUV, sand cast magnesium ones I can buy from BBS Racing?
    The answer is they are not a road wheel. Cool as they look they have no JWL / KBA / ECE124 / VIA etc accreditation and so technically void any insurance or liability coverage I have while driving. That's a non starter for me. Plus they are magnesium and have a tendency to crack / require frequent inspection. Again, not for me.
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Got the car home tonight, first time. Had to take a quick cellphone pic.
      House takes a good photo, got some strong lines and shadows.

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Can't speak to the OP but not everyone would want to use a magnesium wheel on the street.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Dare to be brave and do the new wheel centers an interior-matched blue? Looks so good against the orange and would make for a unique exterior look. Logos or bolt heads in a colour to match the beige of the houndstooth inlays would set them off.

Edit: lips in beige with blue centers?! Given the lack of chrome on the car, a polished lip might not suit. And black lips make the centers look smaller sometimes

Comment

I am not sure about blue wheels! Hmmm maybe I am too much of a wallflower.
            I will stick with silver, 99% sure.

Speaking of wheels I just got the render of the wheels I am having made.
            Production should start in a couple weeks once my spot comes up.

I think these will look 👌

Comment

Ahhh go on… get ‘em to do you a render with blue center 😉 Powdercoated with a matte/satin finish.

Volk Racing’s ultra matte blue gunmetal looks pretty sweet, if that’s any inspiration?

Comment

+1 for silver
                also +1 for not using magnesium wheels on the street, also even warranty aside, if they're old production they are only suitable for a museum
                sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Minor update… adjusting coilover perches in the rear was a real pain with a rubber bumpstop on the top… just kept binding.

So I machined up these little Delrin spacers so I can run a little Torrington bearing on the top so the coil doesn’t bind. Works great. The bearings are from 5 series I think. Good life hack for the front coils too, stops the spring popping when you turn.

Comment

Those are 5" springs right? I am surprised they are not free floating -- those dampers must have very little droop!

RISING EDGE

Comment

They are 120mm springs, and yes, the dampers are very short.
                      Full droop is about 2 fingers gap

Comment

Those wheels will look incredible!

Comment

Any more info on that torrington bearing setup? I have some aftermarket ones but they aren't sealed so I don't think they'll last long.

are they possibly the ones from front upper spring perch on the e39?
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I use the Teflon "spring thrust sheets" that Bimmerworld sells. They prevent the spring popping, and don't require maintenence. https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spr...Sheet-Set.html

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                              Any more info on that torrington bearing setup? I have some aftermarket ones but they aren't sealed so I don't think they'll last long.

are they possibly the ones from front upper spring perch on the e39?
                              You pop them out of part number 31331090612 comes with a free spring seat :)

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                                I use the Teflon "spring thrust sheets" that Bimmerworld sells. They prevent the spring popping, and don't require maintenence. https://www.bimmerworld.com/2-25-Spr...Sheet-Set.html
                                interesting, how many miles have you had them working?

Comment

Working...
                                X