No announcement yet.

Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put 160km on the car today. Got a roadworthy certificate then went to see about getting it onto club registration.

Suspension is wound up all the way, I am not sure whether its "RWC spec" or "WRC spec" but its very stiff and lacking compliance but it sure has a lot of ground clearance.

Goes pretty good. Pretty quiet. Yeah, not bad.

Doesnt matter how many new parts you through at an E30 they still smell like an old car when you come back to it in the garage after 160km :)
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Well I like both of those options. I also have some teflon sheet that I've been saving for no reason in particular that I could use with the original steel bearing race when it wears out, so that could be an option.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post
        I put 160km on the car today. Got a roadworthy certificate then went to see about getting it onto club registration.
        Congratulations - must be very satisfying after all the hard work!

Just in time to dominate a few euro car shows over the summer

My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Just in time to dominate a few euro car shows over the summer
          Yes, if I don't see this at the next Highball Motor Club cars and coffee in Melbourne - I will be bitterly disappointed...
          E30 320i vert
          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Just finished reading this 25 pages of pure awesomeness !

Can't wait to see the new wheels , the interior is amazing and the exterior too !

keep the great work coming !

Comment

Originally posted by burkey001 View Post

That is some good intel right there… so CBR600 like a motorbike? Interesting, I am using the stock ECU so this might be not for me, but great info, thanks.

The coils are just Denso pencil coils. The bike engines are just ones where you can get a set for cheap used to test fit. The M3 guys use these coils on their S14s when going COP so thats where I got the idea. We dont have to modify ours to fit though as the height works as-is!

The Denso coils are dumb coils just like the ones on the M50 and the original M42 coil packs. The only difference is 2 pin on the Denso versus 3 on the BMW ones. The 3rd pin is just an additional ground so the pencil coils should work for you as the ECU has the igniters in it.
              -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Hello, back from the dead.

Some holdups to getting this finished;
                1) I moved interstate and haven't built a workshop yet, so car is a long way from me.
                2) Have been waiting for the wheels to get made
                3) Have been waiting for a spot from the man, Maxwell Wang, to wrap half the car in PPF.

No movement on 1, still a bummer. Have a working concept with architect.

Two. Wheels are made! should be posted out this week.

Three. End of Jan I have 6 days booked in for a final paint correction and PPF application with Auto Attention and Maxwell

Wheels looking good, hope they are nice when I see them in person. Will put some Pilot Sport 4s on these I think.

and sorry,Tzantushka, you won't see me at highball because car meets not really my thing and I don't live in Melbourne anymore :)

I do plan to have it at the BMW Nationals in Canberra in March 2022. So take a drive up, there are some magic, magic driving roads so close to Canberra.
                88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Good luck with the relocation.
                  What a shame won't be able to see the car in the flesh...

And can vouch for the PilotSport 4s shoes - I have these on the Polestar and they are fantastic.
                  E30 320i vert
                  But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Wheels look great, what are the specs?
                    '90 318is

Comment

Originally posted by AusScare View Post
                      Wheels look great, what are the specs?
                      Nothing crazy, just a solid driveable spec. So i can putt about without worrying - too much - about pulling a front guard lip when going up a driveway on an angle etc....
                      17x7,5 ET20

Comment

Some progress at last. 4 of the 5 wheels I ordered arrived and I had some Pilot Sport 4 fitted in 215/40/17.
                        NTM forgot to make the 5th, but they assure me it’s underway soon.

They’re a square setup but I have 3 fronts and 2 rears. The rears have more lip to make them look wider.

Quality of the NTM seems pretty good, I have no complaints. They look on-par with the BBS LM or Forgeline wheels I have.

The fit is conservative, but that’s to be expected because this is intended to be a no-fuss driver. Could have gone another +10mm on offset, but I don’t want the guard grabbing potential pain that comes with that.

Have dropped the car off to Auto Attention and Maxwell Wang for a week and a bit of final love. AA are doing a final paint correction and flatten over _everything_ Then Maxwell is wrapping the whole car up to the A pillars and then the rest up the rubbing strip along the side. Then AA will ceramic coat the whole lot.

Picked these two vendors because they both appear to be absolutely on top of their game.

Really looking forward to installing the black strips in the bumpers.

Test look

These pics are before the final paint correction. SO the paint looks good here, but it’s not finished. Every remaining surface, curve and edge will be flattened. It should glow when done 😊

I might drop it a little bit more, but I think the height is pretty every day usable, so it wont be much more.

So close, I actually smiled when I looked at it. I am really happy with these wheels. For me, it’s a great look.

Comment

Damn that looks great
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Looking great Burkey - the wheels really set off the car. I’m sure it will be very satisfying to finally put those black strips on the bumpers!
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Those wheels are amazing! Nice job.
                              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Your car looks amazing, I love the wheels! Can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

Working...
                                X