No announcement yet.

Project finished - 'MY22' 318is - bare metal, nut and bolt restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jordan, if you had a new one of these lying around... 12521707284....i know someone who'd buy it
    88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Don't stainless steel bolts seize quickly? That's why you rarely see them in cars.

Or are they chrome-plated?

Comment

I'll take a punt and assume they have antiseize
        sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan View Post
          Replace the black washer fluid cap with Mercedes part# 163 869 05 08. Yes its MB, but it looks very close to the original BMW part and snaps on perfectly.
          Thanks for this. I've lose two already from thermal expansion popping them off.
          I do things.

Comment

wow really no progress lately... have been flying in/out a lot for work..
            small pic from my trimmer... interior progress.
            Very slow, but I'm in no rush

I also dabbled in some powder coating. I was getting some lawn furniture done, and i kind of had a knee jerk decision to try some car parts...
            the black bits I think look great. Not sure sure how I feel about the silver.

i like the black bits i've had coated for the engine bay, may have to see about powder coating the AC lines (is that even possible?)

have committed to the black chrome on the window trim, taking that to the platers next.

oh wait, i was also busy polishing some glass bits, to find the best ones from my stash, and also one that had a working demister!

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

The interior will look great Burkey!

Have to admit you're inspiring me to think about another e30 project... have been offered a straight rolling shell of a 2 door '84 318i with tired paint, but very little rust + a shed full of parts if I want them. Only catch is I probably need to build a new shed to actually take it on. If I go for it I'll probably turn it into a 333i replica with an m-tech 1 kit & M30.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Hello, long overdue update.
                Things are happening but perhaps a little slower than ideal… Never the less, progress has been made.

First up, interior is very slowly inching towards being done. Latest bit of tweaking was to fit a standard E30 headrest into a Recaro Expert. The spacing of the headrest is different, so had to cut the BMW part and widen it so it would fit into the Recaro frame.
                Now, I could have just welded a bit in the middle and call it done, but I had this idea to turn down a shoulder and then press fit a sleeve on. In my mind at least this is the stronger. So, chopped the head rest on half and made a collet to hold it in a chuck. Trued it up with a dial indicator and then turned down a 25mm shoulder on each.

Then made up the sleeve and pressed it all together with some loctite

The end result looks something like this.

Had a bunch more powder coating done as I’ve been steadily prepping old parts, and new parts, to get the same colour coating at the same time.

Quite like the look of satin black powder with BMW’s ZNS3 hardware, flaked zinc coating or whatever they call it. I am trying to arrive at some kind of OEM+ vibe.

I particularly like the brake hose clips in black
                More parts off to powder

Have had the subframes subtly ‘hotrodded’. i.e. smoothed and filled. The front subframe has had a 6mm plate blended into the bottom to make it a little stronger

So, progressively getting ready to join subframes to car

Have pulled a lot of engine hardware, studs etc, cleaned them up and sent them to get black chrome plated.

Have also been switching over from yellow zinc bolts to the modern flaked zinc finish, assembling into packages to help with reassembly

Next up was the fuel tank. Time to refinish it.

I want a couple of textures to black, so for the tank I sprayed it with Upol Raptor, thinned 30% through a 2.5mm putty gun to lay it down pretty flat but with some texture. This will contrast with the hardware with is satin black powder and the balance pipe which is black chrome.

New washer and plug

Next up is half shafts. These shafts I purchased as “new” about 10,000km ago, but the paint finish was shit and they were 10,000km old, so time to strip down and get powder coated.

As a home gamer it’s not really feasible to remove the outer CV, as its friction welded or shrunk onto the axle…. So clean that crap up, sand blast it and mask it with Kapton for powder

Tada… black

Tada…. pretty

I have some AST 4210 for this car, which I shipped off to Moton in the Netherlands to get rebuilt, but am debating whether I want to put my 2 way MCS on, as this car I will drive more than the other one… so may as well have the better suspension on it. Mounting the remote canisters in the back will need some custom fab

Last month I bit the bullet and chose black chrome for window trim, so I packed that up, plus a few more spares off to master electroplating. Should be ready this week

It will be a little shiny, but my plan is to move it closer to modern BMW, which is shiny shadowline.
                I had a sample done, looks like this

Next up is new brake hard lines and clutch line for engine bay and back of car

Until then, cya 😊

Comment

What an update!
                  Well worth it though.
                  E30 320i vert
                  But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

wow! really cool update!
                    1990 325is
                    m52b28
                    3.73lsd
                    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Excellent work!
                      I do things.

Comment

great update! looking forward to seeing the black chrome done
                        '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Did think I would like the shiny trim but it works really well
                          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                            great update! looking forward to seeing the black chrome done
                            Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                            Did think I would like the shiny trim but it works really well
                            Thanks, we'll see how it looks. Supposed to be all be done by the end of the week. It is going to look different to "how it's normally done" but i hope in a good way, not a bling blong way.

I did try the trim in satin 2K black paint and also gloss 2K black..... and it just didnt quite work for me. Plus painted trim seems like a short term proposition as its a bit of a wear area (car will have roof racks occasionally) so I wanted the durability of a chrome finish.
                            Have new genuine glass coming in from Germany hopefully next week... so soon I should be able to post all glass in with this new trim... then it may start to look like something. :)

Comment

Plans to do anything with the side bump rubber or door handles? Feel like they're going to look out of place with the now glossy trim.
                              2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed- Silver, 19's, daily driver
                              1990 Silver 325i- Lowered on H&R OE Sports, e90 drop hats, KYB shocks, color matched rocker panels, 16" Emortal RS wheels on 205/50/16 tires... Currently getting a full refresh including an S52 swap!
                              1997 Black Ford Probe GT- Stripped to 2220lbs, MS3X, Forged motor in midst of assembly... Dyno results and 1/4 mile times pending

Comment

Originally posted by dadsbmw View Post
                                Plans to do anything with the side bump rubber or door handles? Feel like they're going to look out of place with the now glossy trim.
                                It's a good question and the answer right now is "I don't know"
                                Will get a side assembled and see how it looks. May get a set of door handles done as well, and do one side each way to see whether it works or not.
                                Not really much to be done with the rubber door trim, kind of is what it is. They look particularly flat in colour because they are brand new and not covered in some kind of protectant which helps bump up the gloss level.

In hindsight, given how hard it was to find all the rubber brand new, as some are NLA, I should have just filled the holes and gone no rubber strips. :) Maybe i'll do that for the next one I do with an EV conversion

Comment

Working...
                                X