No announcement yet.

1989 325i Rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered an "OEM" VDO fuel pump assembly from Rock Auto. Close out priced at $120.

The sender cleaned up find so will reuse that.

Drained the tank, rinsed and drained again. Fuel came out clean.
    Installing new fuel filter.
    I'm going to use the existing tank for now.
    Just want to see if I can get this thing running.

Are the injectors cleanable? The old CIS injectors from my VW days could be soaked in carb cleaner and blown out.
    1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Found some good info on injector cleaning.
      Ordered seals, screens, etc.

Changed plugs and cap/rotor last night.
      Plugs looked horrible. Cap/rotor looked new.

Current plan is to replace fuel pump, replace fuel filter, clean injectors then see if it will run. If it runs and the engine seems healthy I'll do some more maintenance, water pump, belts, valve adjust etc. Then go through the rest of the car, brakes, suspension etc.

If it won't start or does start but doesn't run well I'll have to decide if the engine is savable. There is a good running M20 in a parts car a few hours away I can buy. If I go that route I'll do the 5 speed swap at the same time.

1991 318iC
      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Great thread. Could you point me towards that injector cleaning info? Probably something I’ll need to do soon.

Comment

Looking good so far, fingers crossed it's something simple!

Comment

Originally posted by rfordo View Post
            Great thread. Could you point me towards that injector cleaning info? Probably something I’ll need to do soon.

Couple links that are helpful. There is a ton of info and videos if you google it.

Is your car running sluggishly? Are you noticing a slight stumble as you drive? Chances are, your fuel injectors need to be cleaned.

Is your car running sluggishly? Are you noticing a slight stumble as you drive? Chances are, your fuel injectors need to be cleaned.

1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

It's a runner!

Not a good runner, but a runner.
              1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Sounds like it's running on 5. Tach at 4K at idle, can hear massive vacuum leak.

1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Dead tach in the first video but stuck at 4k in the second. Not sure if I'm hoping for a loose wire or busted tach on that for you.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

SI battery cause it to do that?
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Cabin Pics
                        I'm curious to see what it looks like under the valve cover.
                        Crappy with some broken rocker arm.

Good news is compression is 130-150 cold.

In funner news these showed up today.

Last edited by Poorhouse; 12-18-2018, 06:48 AM. Reason: Resize pics
                        1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Debating what to do. Compression tested OK, but it doesn't look like this engine received regular oil changes.
                          Odometer reads 167k miles, not sure if it works though.
                          I also bought a 5 speed and most of the swap parts.

I'm thinking it makes the most sense to pull the engine trans. I'll have plenty of room for the trans swap.
                          Put the engine on the stand, pull the head and see how the block looks.

If it just needs a head I'll check with the local rebuilder for pricing. I don't think I'll gamble on a used head.
                          I'd be tempted to get a performance head but prices are $1700+ looking at Bimmerheads. Are there other options?

There may be a good used engine available locally. Suppose to still be in the car to hear run. If it's affordable that may be the way to go.
                          1991 318iC
                          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Do you have an air compressor? You can do the "poor man's" leak down by removing the schrader valve on the compression tester and use an air regulator to see where the leaks are I would suspect the valves aren't sealing properly.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                              Replaced the 3 main relays last night and put in a new battery.
                              Still no action from the fuel pump.

Pulled the pump, so nasty. :(

I'm going to need a new tank and fuel pump assembly.

Thats exactly how my old fuel pump looked . So gross. I would literally experience fuel cuts and would have to blip the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                              1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                              Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
                              1967 2002 parts car
                              1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Originally posted by JeLani View Post
                                Thats exactly how my old fuel pump looked . So gross. I would literally experience fuel cuts and would have to blip the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                For the tank, I recommend getting a spectra, its usually less than $200 and it fits well.

Two main differences, it doesnt have a drain plug (not sure if you need it) and its silver, I painted mine to match the original color and texture.

It fits almost perfect like OE except the front middle bolt hole was slightly off, I was still able to get it to work without much issue.

You cant beat it, its about the same price as a used OE one that you never know what you get with those, and a new OE one is over $1000, not worth it in my opinion, and I try to by everything OE.
                                Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Working...
                                X