No announcement yet.

92' Vert Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Received some small parts in the mail I was waiting for and got back to working on the driveline. I installed my trans mounts since I forgot to order them when I bought my 5-speed swap and then bolted in a new trans brace as well. After that I swapped out my 4.10 open diff for a 3.73 LSD which was really straight forward and fairly easy. I on blasted everything the night prior so that helped.

then I installed my guibo and fresh CSB on my driveshaft and installed that as well. As of now the driveline is all finished so once I install exhaust I can be done with the underside of the car.

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Since the car was finally off jackstands I decided to knock out some easier things for now. I finally got around to finding mounting locations for my chase bays windshield reservoir and sprayer, power steering kit, and coolant overflow. I worked out all the plumbing and reservoir mounting for the power steering kit after a few tries and some trial and error. The kit allows to use the OEM bracket so it mounts nicely. I ran the AN lines and then zip ties some things to tidy it up. I ended up mounting the windshield reservoir behind the passenger headlight location but IÂ’m still looking for a way to do the coolant overflow. I may wait until I have all the cooling and cold side components in.

I also got my rubber shift boot and shift Boot frame in so I got around to my alcantara interior pieces. Everything fit perfect so it was any easy install.

And today my stromung exhaust showed up. I was part of the group buy on here and I think was in the first batch that shipped out. The build quality looks great and I can’t wait to get it on the car soon.

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Over the last few days I’ve worked at thinning out the parts I still need to install. I’ve cleared out about 4 large totes on my garage already so I’m getting down to the small things. I went ahead and mounted up my ecs aluminum radiator and my OEM oil cooler and lines. I have decided to run a new OEM aux fan opposed to like a spal fan or something just for ease of installation since I can use the original wiring and the OEM units are sufficient so I don’t have to mess around with fan sizes. I live in California so the summers are brutal.

I swapped out my stock rubber coolant hoses for catuned silicone set for the m20. All the hoses fit with the exception of one that routes from the water pump to the thermostat. I had to trim the end that connects to the thermostat housing so it would clear the clutch fan blades. Other than that it all fits great and should hopefully be durable once the car is running.

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

I got an idea after I was working out my expansion tank situation to fit an aftermarket tank. I bought CAtuned aluminum expansion tank but since it’s universal there is no recommended stock location mounting for a m20 setup. The tank itself is more vertically shaped opposed to the OEM assembly that is more horizontal to fit in the stock location. I decided to relocate my power steering since I am running the chase bays kit that includes AN lines and swivel fittings.

I found that I can mount my reservoir behind the driver headlight right above the ABS assembly. After lots of trial and error I found that I could use the chase bays mount and share the air box mounting stud to secure it. The lines flow freely with no extreme bends or anything and the reservoir is far enough down for hood clearance.

I am also moving the relay harness bracket on the fender well back so I can use those holes with the OEM owner steering reservoir holes to mount my expansion tank somewhere by the strut tower and driver side wheel well. I also wanted to mount the tank on the driver side of the bay, so I could retain the OEM coolant hose that is shaped like a “T” and runs to the expansion tank smoothly. With this configuration the tank will be at the highest point of the cooling system as well so that’s a huge plus. In the end it should look clean, but for now I have the power steering reservoir roughly mounted and the lines connected. I’m waiting on the expansion tank to be delivered so I can mock it up and create mounts. I want to keep it clean so I’ll take my time on mounting to achieve this. As for now it is roughly mocked up awaiting g the expansion tank for fitment More to come on all this..

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Received my catuned expansion tank and air induction kit that replaces the rubber Intake boots, breather hose, and icv hose. I threw it in so I could start mocking up the expansion tank. While I was in there I made up a bracket to hold my chase bay windshield reservoir and coolant overflow behind the passenger side headlight. Right now everything is in with temporary brackets that I need to have made out of metal. All in all I’m pleased with how it turned out. I was able to get rid of all the plastic reservoirs for aluminum ones, relocate the expansion tank and power steering and add an overflow. HereÂ’s a before and after from when I pulled the engine until now.

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:24 PM.

Comment

It's been a while since the last update.. After I got the bay all situated I tackled the engine harness. Except.. once I got it all installed I went to try and start the car a few days later and shorted a wire on the main relay harness. Luckily, I had a spare harness and was able to de-pin and transplant the wire. I found the PO had the wrong relays installed, and I overlooked verifying. Ordered all new relays but she still would not start.

For the past two months I've chased various issues and fought the no start. I had fuel lines crossed (gotta love working on your back on jack stands haha), then a leaky fuel filter, broken negative post on coil, blah blah blah. In that time I went to work with my multimeter chasing wires and ecu pinouts to diagnose a no spark situation. I tried everything, tested every opponent multiple times and then even swapped ecu's. Yesterday I decided to start back from scratch and verify the basics, especially the ignition components. Good thing, because when I took the distributor cap off, the rotor fell out in like 5 pieces and parts of the cap. I must have misaligned or left one of the rotor bolts loose because it contacted and broke all the posts in the cap and then broke into pieces itself.

Did an online order pickup and grabbed a bosch cap and rotor and threw it in today, and she fired right up! fired up no issues, idled flawlessly at 900rpm, and no dash lights or anything. my Stromung exhaust i got from the rev group buy sounded great at idle. Shut it off since It has no coolant and I need to make brackets for the fan since I got rid of the condenser and everything. Super hyped, cant wait to get her

driving.
              Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 04-15-2020, 11:23 PM.

Comment

So I bled the coolant and temporarily mounted my fan so I could drive a bit to feel out any issues and things of the nature. She drives great, I just need to work out a few things. So far I've had 2 small coolant leaks which looks to me are because of the inner diameter of the silicone hoses I have. Both stopped with some tightening of the hose clamps. Thankfully all my clamps are upgraded and have rolled edges. Also, there's about a 1/2-1 inch of dead travel at the top of the clutch pedal that I need to work out but its still firm after, and engages/disengages with no issues. A few other small things I cant think of right now but just happy to start the shakedown period and such.

About to start working on the exterior and seats now that she's running and driving. Will update

Comment

Progress has been slow thanks to another semester of grad school starting. I’ve been slowly vinyl wrapping the car late nights and in my free time. I went with wrap so I can continue to save for a proper paint job hopefully this winter. I chose 3m gloss black rose for the color, it’s not too flashy which is what I was going for. Depending on the lighting it will look black, purple, maroon, brown, or a combo of either. So far I love it the more and more I get completed. I also have some exterior parts coming in to refresh it a bit ( fogs, euro grill, kidneys, lip, ). Here’s a look at the color.

Last edited by ZeeVaughn; 05-23-2020, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I still have to wrap around the windshield, trunk, rear bumper and valance area but its slowly coming together. Aside from that, I still need to install the front end parts I have and get my hands on some black interior as well.

Comment

Little update: I bought a clean rear seat local, but still need to either recover or acquire front seats. I also installed new fog lights, ducts, is lip, and catuned splitter. As of now I need to address the rocker moulding, front seats, and wrap my side mirrors. Aside from small areas, wrap is 95% done.

Comment

Comment

Nice work.
                          I like red - but the wrap is really growing on me!
                          E30 320i vert
                          But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Love that wrap color!
                            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
                              Nice work.
                              I like red - but the wrap is really growing on me!
                              Thank You!

I am a fan of the oem brilliantrot as well, but the being a California car the paint was in bad shape from the PO. My intention with the wrap is to give myself time to enjoy the car this summer and save for a proper paint job. As of now, I'd like to get re-sprayed the oem red.. but we'll see

Comment

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
                                Love that wrap color!
                                Thanks, I love it now that the entire car is wrapped. I've always loved this 3m gloss black rose judging the sample and pictures, but halfway through wrapping the car it was hard to envision it. Now that every panel has the color on it, I love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X