My first project car "Ellie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first project car "Ellie"

Hello, I'm rather new to the E30 scene but you may have seen some of my posts asking for information haha.

Anyway, I recently decided I wanted to finally listen to my dad and learn how to work on cars. I decided I wanted a E30, when after buying a poster with a E30 M3 for my apartment in college.

It took me about 4 months before I found one I wanted. We had probably looked at around 7-8 cars from New Jersey down to South Carolina and test drove all of them. I had originally wanted a manual, but when I saw it I knew it would put a smile on my face.

Anyway on to the build, me and my dad are going to figure this out together one step at time! Thankfully my uncle has a lift in his new house and my cousin is a BMW tech that loves E30s so I don't have to much to fear. We're going to 5 speed swap for now, repaint the bad touch up job from the PO, go through and restore/ replace any of the suspension, brakes engine etc.

I decided to name her Ellie.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Slybeanx.

Update: Going to try and keep the first post updated with current goals:
    Current build
    APEX ARC 8s
    KONI front struts with poly 80A bushings everywhere
    Megasquirted and tuned
    tried to fix the POAs paint but plenty to go
    Swapped in fresh sport seats
    Kilmat added to floor, inside doors, trunk etc
    Wooden trunk
    Sub
    Manual swap
    Partially new brake lines
    Stoptech brakes
    Spal fan- AC delete

M30 is complete and ready to be swapped in. I just need time off between work and school to go home.

New goal is to swap out rear struts for KONIs and do subframe bushings.
    Last edited by Slybeanx; 11-16-2020, 07:48 PM.
    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Awesome car, looks like a good base for a E30. Sometime I can get my dad to come out and help work on my E30's mostly he likes "testing" when I upgrade my suspension etc.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
    Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
    E30 can make you, E30 can break you
    "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I must be looking at wrong link. Looks like two different cars:(
      1991 318is
      2004 330ci
      2011 335d

Comment

Nice bro, that's a clean looking coupe.

Comment

Welcome! Looks like a very clean car to start with.

Comment

Its the same car just got it registered and used different cameras etc haha

Comment

Not a fan of black wheels, but it seems you are so as long as you like it....
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Been awhile since I last posted. I bought a new fender to replace mine that was rusted through and have sanded it down and prepped it.

Went in to do routine maintenance with the timing belt water pump etc, took about a month with large intervals to get everything off and redone.
                Seal kept leaking so I think its not mating well. Got some sealant and a new gasket otw.

Started painting my hood that had some terrible grey paint on it. It's taking awhile! Hard to do everything I want in the time after work and weekends. I got a new nardi wheel and IE hub that I'm loving.

Also decided to sell my W204 09' mercedes and go solo with the E30.
                Last edited by Slybeanx; 09-14-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_128064.jpg
Views:	1021
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7201849 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_148775.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	9908013 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_148776.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	9908014 Heres some photos
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Slybeanx; 02-26-2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

So after an eventful month, I’ve gotten new sport seats. Sold the nice comforts.

Car wouldn’t start up after the new timing belt, replaced the coil, plugs wires etc. ended up being the coil thankfully. Did some more painting and have decided I could really use my uncles garage lift more haha.

After the 3rd drive all back together the engine died in neutral and we had to coast back into the garage. It was leaking oil consistently, but especially every time we braked hard it would leave a nice big spot, oh well time to dig back into it. Now onto the front suspension and sourcing the oil leak.

Edit- thankfully figured out the issue was I had the plugs in the wrong spot lol. Fuel line had come undone and caused the car to die. Very happy I fixed that quickly before trying to start it up again. Id hate to have an engine fire.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like Slybeanx.
                    Last edited by Slybeanx; 09-14-2020, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Sold my M52tu and bought a full M30 drop in swap for the same price. Guy I bought it from in NY said it came from an imported E30 M30. Had a misfire so I'm going to take it apart and see whats going on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

In for M30 goodness. Also, join flickr. It'll make your life much easier re: embedding images.
                        1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                        1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Anyone have any recommendations for exhaust? or any other mods? I need headers first asap
                          Last edited by Slybeanx; 11-16-2019, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
                            Anyone have any recommendations for exhaust? or any other mods? I need headers first asap
                            What mounts did you get? I’d recommend picking up a set of Good N Tite mounts and asking him to make the passenger side mount for header clearance.

Most m30 headers don’t fit in an e30 due to the angle of the dangle. Ive heard the ones that require the least modification are the BavAuto m30 headers which aren’t sold anymore. Both the IE’s and the Schmiedmann’s require modification. If you had the engine mounts I mentioned above, you’ll be better off but not out of the clear.

Garagistics m30 mounts are whack in various ways, and the website claims they work with the IE headers but I’ve never actually heard of that working out. Perhaps someone can correct me on that.

As far as mods go: do a nice cam (not regrind), headers Injectors, tune. IE makes two nice billet m30 cams that are spec’d pretty well and are affordable.

If you’re feeling adventurous, go Megasquirt and ditch the AFM.
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

in for big six stuff as well.
                              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                              X